Madabout G

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Stevie Wonder is an actual 100% legend, who practically reinvented music.  I think it's really quite hard to overstate his impact on music, particularly R&B.  To my mind, he's up there with Bowie or McCartney in terms of musical influence,

True....but more or less irrelevant as to whether or not he's a festival headliner.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably academic since he almost never plays outside of North America. But I fully believe that despite him not being as well known over here as he is in the states (something that could be equally levelled at Kenny Rogers), Bob Seger would be an absolutely cracking booking for the slot.

Also, while it looks unlikely that The Eagles are ever going to play again, Don Henley solo would make for a great legends slot yet I don't think I've ever seen him suggested?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It wuld certainly break with tradition to have a guy in the legend slot who's almost completely unknown in the UK.

I honestly don't think it's that much of a stretch. Just in terms of personal name value, yes of course he's not as well known as Lionel/Dolly/Shirley/Paul Simon and quite a few others, but I think he's still comparable to those at the lower end of that particular scale most obviously Kenny Rogers in 2013.

Meanwhile in terms of the actual material - he's got songs suited to an afternoon on the Pyramid, and if he did a greatest hits set, I do think most people at the Festival would recognise a lot more of the material than they'd expect (ie the vast majority of the set) - albeit mostly it'd be in the "oh, that's the song from (insert film/tv show here)" category.

Although lets be honest, the odds of him actually crossing the ocean to play any kind of show are pretty long.

Peter Gabriel

Billy Joel

Elton John

George Mchael

Meatloaf

Rod Stewart

Stevie Nicks

Tom Petty......................................All good shouts in my opinion.

Most likely on the face of it though Diana Ross or Barry Gibb.

Edited by chrislfc

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

None left, all used up on the suggestion that Take That would do the legends slot.

How many top 10 hits, no 1's or sell out stadium gigs do you need to have had, to justify the legends spot at Glastonbury?

Take that have had more no 1's than Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie and ELO combined, in the UK.

Take That would go down an absolute storm @ the Pyramid.

8 minutes ago, eastynh said:

How many top 10 hits, no 1's or sell out stadium gigs do you need to have had, to justify the legends spot at Glastonbury?

Take that have had more no 1's than Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie and ELO combined, in the UK.

You've forgotten a key factor - tenure.

I'd argue that anyone booked in that slot should have started their career at least 30 years ago, and even that's possibly a bit too recent.

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

You're not taking into account the fact that they are utter shite.

7 hours ago, eastynh said:

If by storm you mean shitstorm then yeah. Just because they've stuck around for so long doesn't make them any better. They're garbage. They were garbage when they were playing gay clubs in Manchester in the early 90s and they were still garbage last month when they admitted to dodging millions in tax. 

Nothing snobby or rockist from me here, just a shit band. As per below.

But yeah, I'm sure the place would be rammed and all if Robbie played with them. Never Forgot. What a Glasto moment etc. 

Edited by The Nal

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

Come on easty having lots of number 1 records is not an indication of how suitable an act is to play Glastonbury. 
Charm x

I quite like Take That in the fact they have a load of upbeat, sing along, well crafted pop anthems. They would also put on a good show as well. I think thats the kind of stuff that would appeal to the masses at the Pyramid stage on the Sunday afternoon. Take That are nearer Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie in the entertainer/bit of cheese/pop star ranks than they are to ELO.

For me bands like Depeche Mode are legends, true pioneers who went on to influence future generations of different genres. The problem is that in front of all picnic baskets and people in chairs on a Sunday afternoon @ the Pyramid, bands such as Depeche Mode would die on their arse.

Unfortunately  I get the impression it is not just about the music now when it comes to prominent acts on the Pryamid. They have to put on a bit of a show, swear a lot during their sets, give every one a fancy led bangle that lights up or spend all their fee on fireworks. I have no doubt that Take That would fit that criteria in that they would put on a show so to speak.

Take That would be a safe pair of hands and Glastonbury seem to like playing it safe these days.

Now I appreciate people won't agree and do not like Take That, but hopefully you can at least appreciate where I am coming from. 

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I quite like Take That in the fact they have a load of upbeat, sing along, well crafted pop anthems. They would also put on a good show as well. I think thats the kind of stuff that would appeal to the masses at the Pyramid stage on the Sunday afternoon. Take That are nearer Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie in the entertainer/bit of cheese/pop star ranks than they are to ELO.

Dunno if there's anything in Take That's repertoire as corny as Wild West Hero, tbf.

25 minutes ago, eastynh said:

For me bands like Depeche Mode are legends, true pioneers who went on to influence future generations of different genres. The problem is that in front of all picnic baskets and people in chairs on a Sunday afternoon @ the Pyramid, bands such as Depeche Mode would die on their arse.

Unfortunately  I get the impression it is not just about the music now when it comes to prominent acts on the Pryamid. They have to put on a bit of a show, swear a lot during their sets, give every one a fancy led bangle that lights up or spend all their fee on fireworks. I have no doubt that Take That would fit that criteria in that they would put on a show so to speak.

Take That would be a safe pair of hands and Glastonbury seem to like playing it safe these days.

Now I appreciate people won't agree and do not like Take That, but hopefully you can at least appreciate where I am coming from. 

I think Depeche Mode could still headline, they're an excellent band, does anyone know if they have played before. 
Charm x

5 minutes ago, Charm said:

I think Depeche Mode could still headline, they're an excellent band, does anyone know if they have played before. 
Charm x

Dave Gahan has on his own Charm, but think the only festival Depeche Mode have ever played in the UK was Wireless in London many years ago.

Just now, eastynh said:

Dave Gahan has on his own Charm, but think the only festival Depeche Mode have ever played in the UK was Wireless in London many years ago.

Surprising, bet they would be brilliant. 
Charm x

42 minutes ago, eastynh said:

would you like them if they were from middlesbrough rather than manchester though?

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

would you like them if they were from middlesbrough rather than manchester though?

No would I bollocks, I would be saying they are shit and what kind of tool would ever wish to see such a talent-less bunch of tax dodging grandads perform at a festival?

Come on Russy, I have been on here now well over 2 years. I feel insulted you even had to ask that question.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dunno if there's anything in Take That's repertoire as corny as Wild West Hero, tbf.

Don't think theres anything anywhere as corny as that. 

So are we after something everyone knows and in the sweet spot between cheesy and credible?