1. 1. Are we IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

It'll be a very sombre Question Time tonight. And I've no doubt that someone will raise the question of the possible impact on the referendum in light of the claims the gunman was shouting ' Britain First'.

They've actually cancelled it.

17 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I agree entirely with the spectator article. I share the sentiment that today is a very dark day for the state of our nation. I wasn't familiar with Jo but from everything I have read she campaigned for credible politics and values. 

The whole story is truly and utterly depressing, thank God we have an opportunity to enjoy being around thoroughly decent people from next Wednesday. Guy Garvey got it spot on in 2011 when he said the farm restores people's faith in humanity. Sharing and equal values are something to behold which is a tremendous thought but also a tragedy that we see it so rarely.  

I'll be honest, as much as I am looking forward to Glastonbury next week. Right now, after today events and those at the weekend, I'm really not feeling it at all.

Just awful news, so upsetting. Honestly my heart is so heavy with all the news recently. 

17 minutes ago, sime said:

I'll be honest, as much as I am looking forward to Glastonbury next week. Right now, after today events and those at the weekend, I'm really not feeling it at all.

I know what you mean, but just remember Glastonbury is a happy place and full of good people, plenty of whom are there looking out for each other. We will all pick each other up. 

56 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

We should never have had this fucking referendum in the first place. 

Never a truer word said. The issues of the macro-economics of such a decision and the impact on us all is above the ken of practically all of the populace yet they are being asked to decide on an issue with huge consequences that they aren't able to grasp.

If the Leave campaign wins then Cameron will have a lot to answer for, as will BoJo who is happy to risk the future of this country on the furtherment of his own career.

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

We should never have had this fucking referendum in the first place. 

It's an absolute disgrace that it is taking place. I have now found my self moving from being angry to being bloody furious. It should be postponed indefinitely. And if that disgusting farage unveils another inflammatory poster tomorrow I think I'll explode. This year is cursed I tells ya. Roll on 2017.

This is utterly horrible - my thoughts to the womans family.

The Swedish suffered exactly the same tragedy when one of their female politicians was stabbed and murdered by a man with psychiatric problems 3 days before their EU referendum in 2003. It will be disgusting if anyone tries to capitalise on this death like they did with the Swedish campaign. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/11/newsid_3594000/3594790.stm

2003: Anna Lindh dies of stab injuries

1 hour ago, ohvienna said:

Just awful news, so upsetting. Honestly my heart is so heavy with all the news recently. 

I know what you mean, but just remember Glastonbury is a happy place and full of good people, plenty of whom are there looking out for each other. We will all pick each other up. 

Thank you ohvienna :) I had a bit of a think a while ago and realised two things. Glastonbury is actually the ideal place to escape the current realities of the world, (although ironically I will be going to see Jeremy Corbyn at the Leftfield stage...!), and also, I might volunteer at the festival next year. I have been to so many now and love it every time but there is a feeling growing inside me to be there to help others have a good time be it by being a steward or litter picking or whatever. I like the sound of doing that. All that being said, naked Thursday up at the lost Horizons sauna next week cannot come soon enough! (or PJ Harvey!).

Horrible few days news wise. 

Suspect today's terrible murder may have more links to mental health issues than politics but none the less I hope we never have as poisonous and divisive referendum again in this country, seems to have brought the worst out in everyone

Really need a good Glastonbury to reconnect with the best human kind has to offer. Suspect Jo Cox would really have enjoyed the festival seems like a great lady

4 hours ago, OneLittleFish said:

If you can stomach reading their bile, Britain First have gone into full panic mode saying how reports of what the murderer screamed was unconfirmed and how the media should act responsibly. Vile, vile scumbags.

It is all unconfirmed though? Seems every "source"  is now back tracking 

3 hours ago, al_coholic said:

I just don't understand where the murder today has come from, and why now. I cannot remember the last time a British MP was murdered, (excluding NI issues). Its just very strange and incredibly sad.

Yep, even stranger is it's identical to the murder of the Swedish politician Anna Lindh in 2003 which resulted in their EU campaign being suspended and the following days the media concentrated the politicians death and the affect on her children & family, and supporting her legacy (ie her commitment to the EU)? I'm not at all comfortable with the timing and the speed with which everyone is trying to exploit the situation when surely no one knows the facts until it's properly investigated? Lot's of very powerful messages are being used in the media within minutes of this happening. 

I keep swaying between remain and leave but I'm 100% against propaganda from either side.

While I've no doubt the guy today suffered from 'mental health problems' it's not a fucking excuse or explanation. 'Mental health problems' are something which effects a decent proportion of the population, in many different ways. I'm sure the w*nker that shot up the club in Orlando also suffered from 'mental health problems'. 

If his problems allowed him to become a murdered the questions are:

1) What caused this?

2) Why wasn't it picked up on?

'Mental health problems' is a horrible get out clause which both does nothing to solve the issue and stigmatises mental health issues in general.