Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved 2010, honestly my ideal weather other than it got really quite cold at night because of the lack of cloud cover.  I can't pretend that there was plenty of shade though - till my dying day I will be smiling at the sight of a poor guy trying to get some shade by sitting beside a bicycle.  Bring a hat, a light shirt and sun cream for the day and a fleece for the evening and you're all sorted.  The greatest problem with a wet one is the lack of anywhere to sit.

15 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Yes, it's only when you go looking for shade you realise just how little there is!  Still, I'd take another 2010 in a heartbeat.  Especially if The Hold Steady were playing on The Other Stage again.

Obviously I'm with you Pal!

10 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

You lot need to chill out.

I don't normally read the weather thread as I can't take the stress but this year I didn't get a ticket so I've been keeping up to date.  

The weather will be unsettled for the next week and a half with showers. From Tuesday 21st the weather will be mainly sun and 20 to 22 degrees.  You will receive the occasional small shower over the weekend but this will only damp down the dust and will not cause mud.  In short perfect Glastonbury weather.  There is you nailed on weather forecast, now stop worrying and get to Lidl to stock up on your booze and start making your skittle vodka.

Enjoy and peace out bread bin.

You're new to this thread aren't you? That's not how it works! (Hysterical laughter)

I didn't find 2010 too bad.  I agree it was very hard to sleep and horrible popping back into the tent for anything.

I had a shower at lost Horizons every day there were shady areas there, and I think we found some in the green/healing fields.

I remember eating ice cream in a spiegeltent which was cool(er) than outside and (I referred to the line up for this bit) watching Everything Everything in John Peel on the Sunday afternoon.. There was lots of space and the shade was refreshing.

I used a white cotton shawl to cover up.

My previous Glastonbury to that was 2007 and that was hard going.   

Having had the 2007 torrent running under the tent (made for a good massage mind) best be prep'd for anything.

Previous rain filled years spent at New Band / JP but Williams Green looks superb this year (especially on Friday)

Never bad...........sometimes hard going

5 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

the various tents, the stages with some sort of covers, the bars, the areas like the glade and the spike, the wooded areas like where the dragon statue is etc etc

isnt there a bit of an issue fitting 200,000 people into these areas ?

Yep we found no shade either In 2010, we took the guy ropes off the tent and bought 2 eider downs from oxfam and strung them up across the pergola at back of west holts on the sat morn, we stayed most of the day (as usual) and welcomed lots of people to join us for some respite and random conversations.

I remember some young kids with their mum, and we encouraged her to let her kids squeeze in and sit down with us for half hour to escape the sun for a while.

I'm taking a sun brolly this year and a hat and a hand held wooden fan.

17 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

the various tents, the stages with some sort of covers, the bars, the areas like the glade and the spike, the wooded areas like where the dragon statue is etc etc

Not to be too picky or anything, but the Spike wasn't there in 2010...

11 hours ago, moheetoes said:

Yep we found no shade either In 2010, we took the guy ropes off the tent and bought 2 eider downs from oxfam and strung them up across the pergola at back of west holts on the sat morn, we stayed most of the day (as usual) and welcomed lots of people to join us for some respite and random conversations.

I remember some young kids with their mum, and we encouraged her to let her kids squeeze in and sit down with us for half hour to escape the sun for a while.

I'm taking a sun brolly this year and a hat and a hand held wooden fan.

I ended up in the Hare Krishna tent for about 45 minutes during the hottest period. Listening to them chant Hare Krishna endlessly sure does brainwash you into making you want to join them. I was singing it in my head for about 4 months afterwards.

There's no pattern, good or bad. It will start raining today and there will be showers for a week. After that, there's a fight between high and low pressure (high is good):

Netweather GFS Image

This chart would bring some rain. Not loads, but enough. If the Azores high pressure pushes NE a bit and the low recedes to Greenland then it could be perfect. If it goes the other way it could be a wash out.

8 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Am working at Symmetry festival this weekend in Norfolk so fingers crossed its not too bad

Norfolk is probably going to be the driest place in the UK (Norfolk is always the driest place in the UK), but you might be taking one for the team. Respect to you, but especially thanks to anyone going to Download for placating the rain gods.