Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, kingmonkey1980 said:

Rubbish.  Last 2 festivals I've been to its rained torrential on the first or 2nd day, turning the place into a mudbath.  But after 2 days of sunshine the ground has been fit for trainers again by the Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

BTW, not sure what the doom and gloom is regarding the Accuweather forecast at the moment, I'd take that right now.

Its the rain forecast from now until the festival thats the worry. Rain the day before is fine but 14 days of straight rain is shit. All we need then is a downpour (forecasted) and the place is a mess. 

However, todays forecast for tomorrow is on average only just over 50% correct so this entire thread is a complete fucking waste of time. Until the week of the festival. And even then its only an indication. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Its the rain forecast from now until the festival thats the worry. Rain the day before is fine but 14 days of straight rain is shit. All we need then is a downpour (forecasted) and the place is a mess. 

However, todays forecast for tomorrow is on average only just over 50% correct so this entire thread is a complete fucking waste of time. Until the week of the festival. And even then its only an indication. 

In summary...

We're fucked :unsure:

I'm not actually that fussed about the rain beforehand.

We've all (mostly) seen the Worthy FM video beforehand when the site was sodden, but it was the downpour when the gates opened that really did for the place. 

The last few times there's been rain it still dried out within 24 hours - as long as there's no more rain.

So I'd take 10 days of rain now and dry conditions during the fest over dry now - with bone-dry ground going in which is then churned up by successive showers when the gates are open.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not actually that fussed about the rain beforehand.

We've all (mostly) seen the Worthy FM video beforehand when the site was sodden, but it was the downpour when the gates opened that really did for the place. 

The last few times there's been rain it still dried out within 24 hours - as long as there's no more rain.

So I'd take 10 days of rain now and dry conditions during the fest over dry now - with bone-dry ground going in which is then churned up by successive showers when the gates are open.

Totally this.  Reports from the chap who has been taking photos onsite is that the ground is hard and dusty.  I've seen it rain heavily overnight til lunchtime and still been able to sit bare arse on the ground by teatime.  The only concerns are getting in and setting up time, really, as long as it's good then we are in the clear.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

At this stage I'd take last years weather in a heart beat,

I think everyone on the thread would agree with that. Practically perfect festival weather. 2013 shaded it for me since it was warmer and sunnier on the whole.

44 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Totally this.  Reports from the chap who has been taking photos onsite is that the ground is hard and dusty.  I've seen it rain heavily overnight til lunchtime and still been able to sit bare arse on the ground by teatime.  The only concerns are getting in and setting up time, really, as long as it's good then we are in the clear.

I love getting my bare arse out to sit on the floor. That's what festivals are all about really. Sitting bare-arsed in a puddle really isn't the same.

Anyway, when can we ACTUALLY start looking at forecasts and paying attention to them? End of next week? Countryfile long range?

2010 was the only year the weather majorly effected a festival for me negatively.

No drink or anything else on sunday, left straight after stevie wonder. Couldn't stand the heat.

Last year I had a few issues early on, but it ended up ok. Id rather no rain, but it dried up and was pleasant, not too hot, no rain saturday and sunday afternoon

I loved 2010 but totally get how it was too much for some (Sunday 2011 was too much for me, I had to take it easy in the shade for most of the afternoon).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/world-satellite/#?tab=satImg&map=regionalIR&fcTime=1465387200

Met office pics show the band of rain that was coming in is going to be much less severe than it looked while it was held up a few days ago, small patch to hit the NW over the weekend and then some heavier rain is likely middle of next week (the front following on behind) but the trend so far has been for that to break down before it hits mainland UK.  It's too early to say anything certain, but it doesn't look like much is going to be pulled in behind that, so I'd go so far as to say that this year is likely to be dry.

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2010 was the only year the weather majorly effected a festival for me negatively.

No drink or anything else on sunday, left straight after stevie wonder. Couldn't stand the heat.

Last year I had a few issues early on, but it ended up ok. Id rather no rain, but it dried up and was pleasant, not too hot, no rain saturday and sunday afternoon

That just brought back  memory from '10 - due to the heat, working a night shift on the perimeter towers and a lot partying, I didn't sleep for 2 days, culminating in feeling like I was about to die during snoop dogg. I managed to make it to my mates tent by the other stage and passed out for a few hours, waking up to la roux and wishing that I was dead. Good times

18 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Funnily enough me too. I got heatstroke on the way in, mostly thanks to the massive queue to get in onthe wednesday. My then partner also got severely ill on the friday. I can remember trying to find any shelter I could during the weekend. By the sunday we were acclimatised and we finished the festival well, but there were a couple of tough days.

That said, if there were to be repeat I'd be much better prepared for it, so bring it on :)

55 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Apart from '11, the weather since '10 has been pretty damn good. I'd take the last two years weather in a heartbeat. 

Can't even really remember '11 being that bad, think it rained a fair bit Friday but that just made getting into the SE corner a piece of piss. 

My ideal weather would be a few degrees lower than 2010, 2010 was amazing but at times it was just too much. Being in tightly packed crowds must have put the temperature easily upwards of 30 degrees at times. The queues for the water get massive as well.

2011 completely pissed it down when we were arriving. Was a mudbath by 10am. Shangri La was unplayable on Thursday night. Then it fucked it down for 24 hours from Friday afternoon until Saturday afternoon and then was scandalously hot on Sunday. 

Shite weather. 

Rain-hardy-revellers-desc-024.jpg?w=720&

TH_Glasto_2011_Fri_048.jpg

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

I love getting my bare arse out to sit on the floor. That's what festivals are all about really. Sitting bare-arsed in a puddle really isn't the same.

Anyway, when can we ACTUALLY start looking at forecasts and paying attention to them? End of next week? Countryfile long range?

Around 2pm on the Sunday before the festival the Weather for the week ahead is posted on the BBC website and goes right through to at least the following Sunday, so longer than Countryfile.

It is on the news at just before 10pm if you want to wait that long but is also on every night so you an watch it daily to get your worry levels nice and high.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True - but the point is that by the Friday morning it was drying off pretty well after the Thursday onslaught.

And by Sunday lunchtime it had dried out again despite going Old Testament on Bono and the lads.

Yeah, the site was nearly back on it's feet Thursday evening, Friday fucked it but I thought Saturday was fine, certainly Saturday night at Glastonbury was my best night of the whole year.

178439_10151084589435866_1478909258_o.jpg

Edited by Spindles
Added image, Thursday afternoon 2011.