Acid_Haze

Please can anyone explain to me why Noel Gallagher plus Blur (or anyone else apart from maybe a re-united Oasis) can be classified as special in any way.

Oh dear.

If you can't see why it would be, even if it's not to your personal music taste, then not sure we can help you here.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Oh dear.

If you can't see why it would be, even if it's not to your personal music taste, then not sure we can help you here.

Ok enlighten me please. Blur are a great band as were Oasis. Noel Gallagher has had arguably considerable sucess with NGHFB but not on the same scale as with Oasis. How can he possibly enhance a perfornamce by Blur?

So you're dismissing a year old quote because it doesn't support you view, but earlier cited a twenty year old quote because it does?

It's not about supporting my 'view' or dismissing quotes or being selective. I'm just saying an off hand quote from Damon prior to Blur reforming that they'd chatted at least once but not actually done anything about it doesn't in any way support the idea that Noel would sub Blur. It's bizarre.

Ok enlighten me please. Blur are a great band as were Oasis. Noel Gallagher has had arguably considerable sucess with NGHFB but not on the same scale as with Oasis. How can he possibly enhance a perfornamce by Blur?

So you don't see why many people could be excited by the prospect of seeing Noel Gallagher followed by Blur?

So you don't see why many people could be excited by the prospect of seeing Noel Gallagher followed by Blur?

Not unless you rank music on the number of well known people on a stage at the same time, in which case your music tastes are meaningless.

It's not about supporting my 'view' or dismissing quotes or being selective. I'm just saying an off hand quote from Damon prior to Blur reforming that they'd chatted at least once but not actually done anything about it doesn't in any way support the idea that Noel would sub Blur. It's bizarre.

It was you who quoted the 20 year old "I hope they get AIDS" line. It's possible that a man's opinions can change over time. He has since, more than once, admitted those words were silly. They have both been pictured together, talked about their renewed relationship and even performed together (I was there to witness it). They probably have talked about releasing a record together, it'll almost certainly amount to nothing but the fact that they discussed it shows that they have a working relationship and mutual respect.

In short I can't see how Noel would have a problem supporting Blur.

Noel is currently "subbing" Mumford & Sons as the top act on Later....

Who'd have thought he'd accept that?

You're going to have to explain how the headliner status on Later... works because I keep thinking it seems like Noel has top billing, what with the interview and playing last.

You're going to have to explain how the headliner status on Later... works because I keep thinking it seems like Noel has top billing, what with the interview and playing last.

It changed a bit from Tuesday, when Noel only played once and Mumfords played twice - both opening and closing the show. Tonight Mumfords opened the show again, and then after I posted what I put above Noel certainly got a bigger billing.

It changed a bit from Tuesday, when Noel only played once and Mumfords played twice - both opening and closing the show. Tonight Mumfords opened the show again, and then after I posted what I put above Noel certainly got a bigger billing.

That clears it up! Cheers.

When doing the thanks at the end, Jools didn't seem like he could get past Mumfords quick enough! Gave every other act a warmer name-check.

Edited by jimmyt

But thinking he wouldn't because of an argument 20 years ago....I give up. Others have got this one covered.

Edited by MEGABOWL

Please can anyone explain to me why Noel Gallagher plus Blur (or anyone else apart from maybe a re-united Oasis) can be classified as special in any way.

But who's saying it is going to be something special?

All I've seen is Eavis say the headliner is big (he'd say that about any headliner), and Emily say the penultimate act is great (she'd say that about any penultimate act).

The only talk of something special came from here when we thought it was two bands teaming up for some kind of one off performance, which we now know not to be the case.

But who's saying it is going to be something special?

All I've seen is Eavis say the headliner is big (he'd say that about any headliner), and Emily say the penultimate act is great (she'd say that about any penultimate act).

The only talk of something special came from here when we thought it was two bands teaming up for some kind of one off performance, which we now know not to be the case.

I think he's being pedantic about the fact they're billed as "special guests" on the lineup poster. As if they're going to bill them as "Slightly disappointing guests"

What even is Keithy's point now? He originally said Noel won't sub Blur because he wished AIDS on them, which is fair enough. Since then we've established that Noel clearly doesn't feel that way about them anymore, so why wouldn't he sub them?

Noel wants to personally infect them with AIDS now? I can see the NME headline already

*sigh*

If Blur wanted some extra publicity then headlining Glastonbury off the back of a new album would achieve it. And I think they will headline. The idea that Noel will sub is ludicrous as is the idea that they'll do the Noel subbing for the extra publicity. So headlining glastonbury doesn't generate enough publicity?

Why is that ludicrous? Maybe he phoned up Emily Eavis and said "Any chance of me playing this year? I'm happy to play anywhere"... like what Rage Against the Machine did with Reading in 2000 (as any sane person knows that they would not have just naturally been booked to play fourth on the bill below the Stereophonics, Placebo, and some up-and-coming new band called Slipknot)

Edited by Neon_Ballroom

Why is that ludicrous? Maybe he phoned up Emily Eavis and said "Any chance of me playing this year? I'm happy to play anywhere"... like what Rage Against the Machine did with Reading in 2000 (as any sane person knows that they would not have just naturally been booked to play fourth on the bill below the Stereophonics, Placebo, and some up-and-coming new band called Slipknot)

Well no, actually, you're wrong. Rage only played 4th down on that day because they fancied Kelly Jones. Why would they play below someone if they didn't want to suck them off?

With some of the 'clues' given I wonder if Atoms For Peace could appear on the bill? Not headliner but could possibly sub.

They would class as a supergroup. Thom's british but his band aren't and he could be seen as a friend of the festival as well as Chris Martin.

There are also recent photos Thom posted of him going over old song lyrics and art work in the studio.

Dreaming of Led Zep or Floyd or Radiohead to headline

Edited by Dave85radiohead

Are we completely ruling out the possibility that The Strokes might be one of these bands? They seem to fit in a similar category to Blur, Noel, Libertines with having tickets to sell elsewhere. Ignore the fact they said BST was their only gig a while back, since its possible that they could have been signed up very recently. I'm not confident that it will necessarily be two from them options, but it is possible and I would be very happy myself.

Are we completely ruling out the possibility that The Strokes might be one of these bands? They seem to fit in a similar category to Blur, Noel, Libertines with having tickets to sell elsewhere. Ignore the fact they said BST was their only gig a while back, since its possible that they could have been signed up very recently. I'm not confident that it will necessarily be two from them options, but it is possible and I would be very happy myself.

It's possible IMO but they'd be the 'penultimate act'

I wouldn't rule them out they're playing Primavera + BST I think they make more sense than Noel at this point.