Acid_Haze

I didn't say it wouldn't get publicity. Just said Blur don't need it.

This is just getting odd now. There's no 'maximum level' of publicity.

'Lads, Glasto headliner, we're on. What do you think?'

'Would love to Damon but we don't want too much publicity. The Blur publicity-o-meter is pretty full. Let's not overdo it.'

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

This is just getting odd now. There's no 'maximum level' of publicity.

'Lads, Glasto headliner, we're on. What do you think?'

'Would love to Damon but we don't want too much publicity. The Blur publicity-o-meter is pretty full. Let's not overdo it.'

*sigh*

If Blur wanted some extra publicity then headlining Glastonbury off the back of a new album would achieve it. And I think they will headline. The idea that Noel will sub is ludicrous as is the idea that they'll do the Noel subbing for the extra publicity. So headlining glastonbury doesn't generate enough publicity?

Edited by Keithy

Agree. Headliners a band anyway. Hate to be boring but still can't see past blur or FM

likewise. as much as i'd love to be blown away and surprised, those two just seem far too obvious. as for this mystery sub - christ knows, could be anybody really. Noel G keeps springing to my mind but i'm not sure how realistic that actually is (although they'd have to be a fairly big act to slot above Alt-J who are subbing at Reading). i suppose Blur subbed by Noel would have a nice feel to it for a lot of people, even if it would be a bit meh

i haven't been keeping up with this thread so much but are we choosing to ignore Michael's 'Chris Martin is involved' comment? i could believe the two British acts thing, but that just seems too bizarre unless one of those acts is Coldplay (which it almost definitely isn't)

He is good friends with Noel. The supergroup/collaboration thing is one big misunderstanding I think. Can't think how else he'd be involved. I personally won't be dwelling on it

Yes they have. The best example is Stereophonics in 2000who were only confirmed when you got the programme as you walked thru the gates, and who were headlining V fest that year.

The choice to hold back isn't Glastonbury's. They will have been told by Stereophonics that they'd have to accept them on those terms else they couldn't play. And Stereophonics would have been told by V Fest that that would be the terms they had to work to if they wished for an exception to the exclusivity clause they'd already signed.

Whether or not an act has to be held back is dependent on any existing contracts, but it hasn't happened too much at Glastonbury because Glastonbury has hardly ever shared a headliner with another English festival - because those other festivals don't want to share them.

(Muse were announced as sub-headliner for V fest the year they first headlined Glasto, before someone brings that up.)

How far down the bill any exclusivity clauses might go will depend on what the promoter wants to do - but real world says you won't want to ask for it too much cos if everyone did that they'd be far fewer bands available to put on festival line-ups.

If he's playing more than one he's not exclusive, is he? So he couldn't be billed as that.

But nothing about that stops restrictive clauses being written. He might have signed up to play Calling first and without any restrictions, and then signed for Latitude where they said he couldn't add any further shows. It can work any which way you can think of, if a promoter wants to ensure their investment in that act is protected as best it can be.

If it is a late booking, that would make it more likely of some sort of restrictive clause being in the way.

But anyway, given that I've been told the headliner can't be announced because of "other shows" (note the plural), the late announcement is definitely due to something contractual. :)

I'm certainly speculating about Noel, true. But everything fits about Noel, so he can't be ruled out.

Everything I know about Melvin says he signs his headliners on restrictive contracts. And then take the time to look at his line-ups (R/L, and Latitude) over the years and see that there's almost no instances of his headliners playing other English shows (they normally share one or more acts with T in the Park). There have been a few exceptions; Pulp one year were billed as a "northern England exclusive" (for Leeds) or something similarly silly. Noel doing Calling when he's playing Latitude is another exception.

That annoyed me as the Charaltans were booked as headliners and then moved to sub. It's the only time I remember watching them not end on Sproston Green as well which double annoyed me

Edited by pc6090

An article a year ago when Damon was solo and before Blur got back together and started recording. It's just off the cuff chatting for the NME. It's well documented by tabloids and the NME. Y'know, media with papers to sell. Just like the 'Oasis reunion' stories.

"it would be fair to say, we have discussed it at least once". At least once! I take it all back, Noel is defo subbing Blur now.

So you're dismissing a year old quote because it doesn't support you view, but earlier cited a twenty year old quote because it does?

i haven't been keeping up with this thread so much but are we choosing to ignore Michael's 'Chris Martin is involved' comment? i could believe the two British acts thing, but that just seems too bizarre unless one of those acts is Coldplay (which it almost definitely isn't)

given that there's no official record of Michael's comments, and we're just going off someone's recollection of a conversation they overheard, it wouldn't surprise me if Chris Martin being involved was a separate point to the comment about 2 "headliner" acts.

maybe Chris Martin is coming on to play piano and sing "Homecoming" with Kanye?

Edited by ghostdancer1

*sigh*

If Blur wanted some extra publicity then headlining Glastonbury off the back of a new album would achieve it. And I think they will headline. The idea that Noel will sub is ludicrous as is the idea that they'll do the Noel subbing for the extra publicity. So headlining glastonbury doesn't generate enough publicity?

No I can't see Blur subbing Noel, but vice versa no problem. As I say, it isn't 1995.

I don't think she'd headline though. Suppose Kylie subbing could fit with the 'big penultimate' thing.

Well no because Emily said the headliner is a band. She'd be a good sub shout though.

*sigh*

It's good publicity for all of them. It's business, not sulking about a spat from 1995 which appears to be well and truly buried to everyone except yourself and possibly Liam Gallagher

I think I and a few others have just taken it as he was involved somewhere in getting people to play, not necessarily playing himself