Acid_Haze

no doubt, but he wont convert anyone who didnt like him already beforehand I bet.

That's the problem with booking marmite acts like kanye west and metallica. They arent going to entertain anyone other than their own fans.

That's totally untrue, I didn't like Metallica at all, gave it a try and throughly enjoyed it

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Yep, Libs have to be ruled in I'd say, and that lack of exclusivity claim is odd, cos R/L would normally claim it. Tho I'm not entirely sure they'd claim it if they knew them to be doing a secret set, as I don't think anyone really sets out to deceive, it's more likely that things have changed when a claim turns out to be wrong.

The time zone differences are in their favour for getting back to the UK.

I still thinnk the Libertines are more likely to do a Friday morning set before jetting out on Friday evening than jet back in Sunday morning to perform same day.

That is just standard for that genre of music. Your point is basically that you don't want to see Hip-Hop live but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a Hip-Hop headliner as many people love it. And once you have decided to have a Hip-Hop headliner of Glastonbury Kanye is the one you would pick, or possibly Eminiem.

Could never see them booking Eminem. I like some of his stuff (espeically the first 2-3 albums) but a lot of his lyrics, whether meant in jest or not, aren't exactly in keeping with the spirit of the festival.

Maybe, I have no idea bar the few I know of. When I say mainstream hits, I mean a field full of non Kanye specific fans who will/should be at the Pyramid Stage, and the BBC audiences watching on the TV. You still stand by that 20?

Those 20 have all had a large amount of mainstream success but I see what you are saying, I would cut it down to around 5 or 6 in that case and I feel like that is a reasonable amount. I'm not a Kasabian fan and I don't know more than 5 of their songs, same with Arcade Fire... Same with pretty much every headliner that you aren't a fan of other than the super big acts to be honest.

Kanye will rant, probably after playing Runaway. He'll be on live TV, huge viewing audence, he's not an idiot, his hype and media clamour doesn't come from his music, it comes from being controversial and outspoken.

The thought of his pulling this at glasto worries me hugely.

I was at wireless last summer. At the start of the rant, it was funny. 5 minutes in patience was wearing thin but we all thought it would be over soon. Afree 15 minutes of complete guff, the crowd, including myself, were furious. An rightly so. It was shocking.

If he does it at Glastonbury, I'm fairly confident it will irrevocably damage his live reputation for good in the UK. I'll be there watching I imagine, but if it happens again, it will be the last time I bother even considering seeing him live.

The thought of his pulling this at glasto worries me hugely.

I was at wireless last summer. At the start of the rant, it was funny. 5 minutes in patience was wearing thin but we all thought it would be over soon. Afree 15 minutes of complete guff, the crowd, including myself, were furious. An rightly so. It was shocking.

If he does it at Glastonbury, I'm fairly confident it will irrevocably damage his live reputation for good in the UK. I'll be there watching I imagine, but if it happens again, it will be the last time I bother even considering seeing him live.

I completely agree. But I would like to think, that no matter how outspoken and self centered he is, that he knows Glasto isn't just another show......... the press would hammer him if he ranted for 15 minutes.

I think that he will make a reference to ranting and will get a few laughs and then HOPEFULLY carries on as normal......

but then again, its Kanye West and there's no saying what he will do. Lets just hope he's not that stupid.

That is just standard for that genre of music. Your point is basically that you don't want to see Hip-Hop live but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a Hip-Hop headliner as many people love it. And once you have decided to have a Hip-Hop headliner of Glastonbury Kanye is the one you would pick, or possibly Eminiem.

Not so true. Last year Angel Haze & Danny Brown were highlights for me & this year Run The Jewels are going to be an embarrasment of riches.

I watched Jay Z headline and it was fine. I saw Slim Shady back in 99 & since as a headliner, also fine, I've seen alot of Hip Hop in my time. I'm all for a Hip Hop headliner, Pop headliner, Dance, Metal... Shit I'd be happy with a BlueGrass headliner.

I personally think he'll be smashing it as people walk away. I'll be off doing one of a thousand other things Glastonbury has to offer. I think he is a big enough name to headline & the kids will love it.

Bottom line, Kanye relies way too much on other artists... Way Too much.

Edited by jpeee

russy was saying how much he liked Queen with Adam Lambert recently. (no lie!).

(soz russy, you deserve it tho :P)

I dont deny it! Gig of the year I swear!

Haha thats literally the first thing ive seen him say he likes! Madness to pay to see that! lol

in answer to your earlier question, my faves who are active are

nick cave

flaming lips

super furry animals

pj harvey

and my beloved lykke li of course

otherwise I listen to the usual suspects - leonard cohen, bowie, tom waits, pink floyd etc

plus much more!

but then again, its Kanye West and there's no saying what he will do. Lets just hope he's not that stupid.

I'm really hoping he goes off on one about the petition, followed by a rant about his endorsements, and then has a complete meltdown as he sees thousands streaming away and he gets all abusive and angry and upset and starts blubbering like an angry walrus while children point and laugh at him. A total breakdown on stage, live, in front of the world.

A complete car crash of a show that makes news on a global scale. I hope it makes the front page in places like Burundi and Nauru the next day.

my faves who are active are

nick cave

flaming lips

super furry animals

pj harvey

and my beloved lykke li of course

otherwise I listen to the usual suspects - leonard cohen, bowie, tom waits, pink floyd etc

plus much more!

Reads like one of those personal ads in the paper.

Edited by The Nal

Either that or that strange sequence you always get with Morrissey live where the crowd get excited when a Smiths song starts for the excitement to quickly die as his band do horrible things to it, making it sound like a poor Smiths tribute act

I didn't see him in 2011, but that's certainly not what happened in 2004. The Smiths tunes sounded excellent.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Not so true. Last year Angel Haze & Danny Brown were highlights for me & this year Run The Jewels are going to be an embarrasment of riches.

I watched Jay Z headline and it was fine. I saw Slim Shady back in 99 & since as a headliner, also fine, I've seen alot of Hip Hop in my time. I'm all for a Hip Hop headliner, Pop headliner, Dance, Metal... Shit I'd be happy with a BlueGrass headliner.

I personally think he'll be smashing it as people walk away. I'll be off doing one of a thousand other things Glastonbury has to offer. I think he is a big enough name to headline & the kids will love it.

Even if they don't physically bring out Big Boi, Gansta Boo or Zack de la Rocha for their verses?

You know they don't get Zack de la Rocha to repeat "run them jewels fast" over and over again live, right?

Edited by Winslow Leach

I completely agree. But I would like to think, that no matter how outspoken and self centered he is, that he knows Glasto isn't just another show......... the press would hammer him if he ranted for 15 minutes.

I think that he will make a reference to ranting and will get a few laughs and then HOPEFULLY carries on as normal......

The problem I can't get past is exactly the last point you make.

The man has been living up his own arse for a long, long time. I love that about him. I know it's bizarre, but I find it fascinating that he can be so utterly oblivious to anything or anyone else other than himself. I liken it much to how I perceive Prince to be. They live in their own world where they get and do whatever they want, only on their terms.

I just done believe that anyone (even if it's Beyonce, Jay Z or Chris Martin) saying "Look Kanye, Glastonbury isn't the place for you to Rant" will make any difference whatsoever. If Kanye is going to spout bullish!t. Kanye will spout bullsh!t

Fair enough, apologies for the snap judgement on you with regards to Hip-Hop. I loved Angel Haze last year too and am also looking forward to RTJ. I don't see an issue with Kanye using other artists though, for one it means that there will hopefully be a couple of cool guest features in his set and from what I've seen and heard it doesn't affect his live shows adversely, which are apparently great!

he'll clear half the field at Glastonbury if he does that, just as he did at Big Chill.

It's one thing to subject your own audience to it, but it's another thing entirely when many won't be huge fans.

Given the situation in the States at the minute between the black community and cops, which gets worse by the day as each new killing or video becomes public, I'd be amazed if he doesn't take the opportunity to have his say on the biggest stage there is.

Maybe it's too sensitive a situation?

Hi guys, wonder if someone could answer me something about last year......?

I didn't follow the threads as much last year but as far as I'm aware, even though Metallica wasn't announced, it was "known" it was them...... How did it become known?! Was it guess work like this year or did something actually come out? I can't believe how much more secretive it is this year! I genuinely couldn't even hazard a guess haha It's roundabouts every time I look at this thread!

Given the situation in the States at the minute between the black community and cops, which gets worse by the day as each new killing or video becomes public, I'd be amazed if he doesn't take the opportunity to have his say on the biggest stage there is.

Maybe it's too sensitive a situation?

considering caroline lucas was booed and heckled for daring to discuss green issues at glastonbury, I dont think the 99% white crowd will take kindly to someone preaching this message to them