The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

4 minutes ago, Bradders said:

We just take a double air bed and double duvet. Bulky, yeah, but teamed with a fresh and black tent you get a proper full and comfortable nights sleep.

We do this as well, plus a fitted sheet for the airbed! So much better than sleeping bags, if you use a vacuum bag you can shrink them down considerably.

Going by coach this year though so will have to be sleeping bags

8 minutes ago, Bradders said:

We just take a double air bed and double duvet. Bulky, yeah, but teamed with a fresh and black tent you get a proper full and comfortable nights sleep.

Yeah, we're similar. The double sleeping bag isn't that much bulkier that than a normal one so we normally bring a double duvet too - proper comfort

On 5/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, Brad2434 said:

Posted in another thread but probably better here - https://www.millets.co.uk/15989031/eurohike-colossus-ii-6515l-rucksack-15989031

65L eurohike backpack which opens like a suitcase (perfect for packing cubes) + comes with a detachable day bag. On sale for £35 at the moment and there was a discount code on top of that for 20% taking it down to £27, but the code doesnt seem to be working now. it was 'brand20'.

I placed the order yesterday and it was all accepted. Now been cancelled as there wasn’t enough stock. Disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I placed the order yesterday and it was all accepted. Now been cancelled as there wasn’t enough stock. Disappointing.

think there was two versions. One under 'mega buy' which you couldnt add the discount code, and another that was discounted but no under 'mega buy' so you could add a discount code. My discount code applied one was cancelled but I've ordered one without a code with no difficulties, still up on their website from what I can see.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:09 AM, jonnyisRFC said:

https://festivalcop.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/secret-stash-velvet-hair-scrunchie-with-zip 

This crafty item so that one of our group can safely bring in anything that they wouldn’t want security finding! 

Thank you! 😉I actually think it's first use may be to smuggle in a water bottle cap to Primavera which doesn't seem to be allowed, bit bonkers when you think it's in sunny Spain! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

think there was two versions. One under 'mega buy' which you couldnt add the discount code, and another that was discounted but no under 'mega buy' so you could add a discount code. My discount code applied one was cancelled but I've ordered one without a code with no difficulties, still up on their website from what I can see.

I’ve just tried as well (without the discount code) so will see what happens.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

Ultimate Outdoors is the same company so worth giving theirs a try, the prices are mirrored.

7 hours ago, balti-pie said:

i tend to open my sleeping bag and use it as a kind of duvet, cos i cant be constricted either- on a camping mat or a blow up bed this often ensures i wake up absolutely freezing in the morning. a pod would be a lot more suitable!

hmm . . . 

I'm the same, hate feeling constricted when trying to sleep, even a pod was too restricting for me so would open it up like a duvet. Then I just started using a duvet.

Alas I'm not attending Glastonbury this year, but I'm attending Bearded Theory in a fortnight. However my pregnant girlfriend can no longer get up from the floor 🤣 As a result I've bought a double camp bed for use with our cheap and nasty double airbed. However a pre-fest test has revealed it is no longer fit for purpose. I know eFests is the place for camping equipment boffins, so who can recommend me a decent double mattress?

Initially only wanted to spend £40-50 but if there's something out there that's amazing I could possibly stretch to £100 as we'll likely get good use out of it in future. Ideally we want to avoid those typical cheap airbeds that work for a year then don't stay inflated anymore.

The "Outwell Dreamcatcher Double (7.5cm) Self Inflating Sleeping Mat" seems about the best I've found (albeit slightly out my ideal price range). The bed I've bought is the Outwell Posadas double, and is 135cm wide so looking for an equivalent width mat.

Any ideas chaps? 😃

We have the double silent night self inflating matt, has done well over a few camping trips

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-Camping-Collection-Inflating-Mattress/dp/B0979FPH69/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=silent+night+self+inflating&qid=1652171037&s=camping-hiking&sr=1-3 

Previously owned one (two of them) made by Trail, kept failing at the seams

25 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Check the top review first, who says it's not 120l - if that's the feature you're buying it for

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Check the top review first, who says it's not 120l - if that's the feature you're buying it for

Ah good spot. the 85l eurohike posted further up may be a better bet in that case

I do like all the pretty colours of this poor quality amazon one though

22 hours ago, northernringo said:

Any recommendations for a decent sleeping bag that packs down very small? Getting a flight/coach so space is at a premium!

I have used a travelpak 2 for about five years now (used a handed-down 80s snugpak before that) - website says it packs down to 19cmx19cm, but you can force it a bit tighter than that. It's affordable and has saved me a lot of space in my pack when hiking or doing festivals. Comfy, mummy style, easy to pack away and make small. 

The downsides are that it's just over a kilo (which isn't actually that bad) and only a two season. I've slept in it underground a fair few times in pretty cold conditions on not much of a sleeping mat and not really had a problem, but almost always had a beer jacket on. I was about to upgrade to an ethical down three season before moving, but ultimately couldn't justify it. 

I've just had a look at the snugpak website, and there's a travelpak traveller, which goes even smaller but is more in the one season territory. 

• Upvote 1

Do people bother with camping chairs or not? I know theres a lot more on than other festivals but a chair is nice in the morning for eating breakfast / late night. Any thoughts? 🙂 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Do people bother with camping chairs or not? I know theres a lot more on than other festivals but a chair is nice in the morning for eating breakfast / late night. Any thoughts? 🙂 

Even if I don’t bring one with me I usually end up buying one there because just being able to chill around the campsite whenever you’re there is nice, especially if it’s a muddy one (which, of course, it won’t be). 

29 minutes ago, gfa said:

I do, and i predominantly leave it in me tent for mornings/nights - i think its ventured out twice in the four festivals its been to 😆 its primarily for shoe/boot removal and attachment, and for sitting down with a tea. 

3 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

i bought the same one a few years back.  it is still going strong (i only use it for festivals, so a few times a year) and I have had no problems.   isn't 120l though.  Slightly bigger than my expensive Gregory 85l bag

34 minutes ago, gfa said:

essential for around the tent.  too much effort in the festival itself (although i am considering a compact one for this year as getting up off the floor is getting harder all the time)