The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 5/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, Jay Pee said:

if you can find a deal on this and can cope with the weight (1.5kg) it is cracking.  Just charged up and discharged under test conditions (Phone charged daily and occasional mobile speaker / headphones).  you get over two weeks out of it under those conditions.  I have purchased several cheaper options over the last several years and its false economy. This is bombproof and just sits in the tent and charges my gear overnight.

RidgeMonkey Vault C-Smart Wireless Power Pack 77850mAh (anglingdirect.co.uk)

If your phone wont last a day without carrying a charge pack around with you just step away from the social media and enjoy what is in front of your face 🙂

Crikey, that is a beast in power, weight and price. 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, Brad2434 said:

Posted in another thread but probably better here - https://www.millets.co.uk/15989031/eurohike-colossus-ii-6515l-rucksack-15989031

65L eurohike backpack which opens like a suitcase (perfect for packing cubes) + comes with a detachable day bag. On sale for £35 at the moment and there was a discount code on top of that for 20% taking it down to £27, but the code doesnt seem to be working now. it was 'brand20'.

this worth picking up for glasto?

On 5/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, gfa said:

Someone bought this the other day - not sure who though i can't seem to figure it out from my history.

here's a 15% code UNIG0I6E if that helps

Thanks for this. Just ordered one. It did say low stock so get one if you’re thinking about it!

On 5/2/2022 at 11:49 PM, zico martin said:

So the subject  of the perfect battery charger is back on the table.  I need to test my current 3/4 year old one but suspect I will need to get another. This got me thinking about whether there is anywhere on site where you can re charge these batteries if need be, didn't the lock ups have this facility in the past or did I dream it?

I feel like I remember that the lockups will charge your batteries? It might have been something like £1 per 1,000Mah? It also might have also been £1 per hour. Memory quite hazy on the details. 

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

I feel like I remember that the lockups will charge your batteries? It might have been something like £1 per 1,000Mah? It also might have also been £1 per hour. Memory quite hazy on the details. 

If so, it's not a general policy, as the lockups are run by several different groups!

Some of the campsite crew posts used to do it as a way of raising extra money for their charities. Not sure if they still do. Probably the same with the lockups. More likely in the quieter fields I’d have thought 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, Jay Pee said:
On 5/2/2022 at 11:49 PM, zico martin said:

if you can find a deal on this and can cope with the weight (1.5kg) it is cracking.  Just charged up and discharged under test conditions (Phone charged daily and occasional mobile speaker / headphones).

I second this, had my OH’s ridgemonkey charge pack, did my phone my apple watch and several other peoples phones on the Sunday/Monday for coach trips home.

With all the buzz around FnB tents - and the gaming changing comfort that comes with them - I thought I'd fire up my other secret weapon to a great sleep, a double sleeping bag. I'm a sprawler so I find normal ones quite restrictive and even a bit claustrophobic. Doubles are great, it's like being in a normal bed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M2D9QTF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_N2VTNJQABA8SMNEH73MK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

With all the buzz around FnB tents - and the gaming changing comfort that comes with them - I thought I'd fire up my other secret weapon to a great sleep, a double sleeping bag. I'm a sprawler so I find normal ones quite restrictive and even a bit claustrophobic. Doubles are great, it's like being in a normal bed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M2D9QTF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_N2VTNJQABA8SMNEH73MK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Me and the wife both have pod sleeping bags from gooutdoors. They are bulky packed up due to extra width but I took mine in 2019 as just cannot stand normal ones and not being able to move 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15983517/pod-adult-sleeping-pod-15983517

55 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Me and the wife both have pod sleeping bags from gooutdoors. They are bulky packed up due to extra width but I took mine in 2019 as just cannot stand normal ones and not being able to move 

This looks perfect for me and the Mrs. Same issue, both hate constricted sleeping. Is it plenty warm on a cold evening?

17 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

This looks perfect for me and the Mrs. Same issue, both hate constricted sleeping. Is it plenty warm on a cold evening?

They’re season two so fine for me personally, I know the wife sometimes finds she needs a blanket over top when we go camping but then she sleeps with an electric blanket at home even in summer 😂

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

I've got a SilentNight sleeping pod that is brilliant, I'm an advocate of pods! 😂

i tend to open my sleeping bag and use it as a kind of duvet, cos i cant be constricted either- on a camping mat or a blow up bed this often ensures i wake up absolutely freezing in the morning. a pod would be a lot more suitable!

hmm . . . 

21 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

I think it rally depends on the lock up. The one I was by in Oxylers in 2017 didnt ask for anything other than your info to get your device back. But wouldnt just the EE charging tent suffice anyway? I think the easiest system is to have your main big/bulk one and thats for your tent. You carry around a  smaller one with you in your bag so its not such an annoyance and if you need  to top up while out and about you have the means. When youre back in your tent you use the large one so youll be good to go for the following day. And if you had to you can just take the small one for a quick charge and get it back during the day. I made it the whole festival with my one battery back and not needing to charge it at all, but that was with an iphone 8, so thats def not going to be the case now with an 11.

11 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i tend to open my sleeping bag and use it as a kind of duvet, cos i cant be constricted either- on a camping mat or a blow up bed this often ensures i wake up absolutely freezing in the morning. a pod would be a lot more suitable!

hmm . . . 

My tip on that front is get one of the silk sleeping bag liners off ebay which you can fit your sleep mat inside.  I do that on arrival and it stays in for the duration.  Then unszip the sleeping back and drape over the top like a duvet.  It works a treat and if it does get really cold you can zip up and get in for the extra snugness.

The other tip is to buy a down sleeping bag as they are next level for a good sleep.  They are not for everyone as some don't like from an ethical perspective and sometimes one wakes up looking like you have been tarred and feathered 🙂

A good nights sleep does not have to involved bulk and massive air beds.  Its about the configuration.

• Upvote 1