Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to 2016........yes it was muddy, yes i ended up not seeing bands I wanted to and yes I ended up seeing bands I didn't know existed. I do see sets that i like and if I don't I wonder off to find something I do. I don't think seeing one bad set would ever spoil my week.

Every year it is different and every year I enjoy myself in a different way.

2017 can't come quickly enough!

1 hour ago, matt2007 said:

Back to 2016........yes it was muddy, yes i ended up not seeing bands I wanted to and yes I ended up seeing bands I didn't know existed. I do see sets that i like and if I don't I wonder off to find something I do. I don't think seeing one bad set would ever spoil my week.

Every year it is different and every year I enjoy myself in a different way.

Same here,  I had a myriad of things that I'd picked up either from here or @Brave Sir Robins playlist.   As is often the case,  my many overlaps get trimmed depending where I am and how it's going. 

For example I went to see a Couple of Mums in the Spike and had a great laugh. 

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Same here,  I had a myriad of things that I'd picked up either from here or @Brave Sir Robins playlist.   As is often the case,  my many overlaps get trimmed depending where I am and how it's going. 

For example I went to see a Couple of Mums in the Spike and had a great laugh. 

So much fun, missed out this time but they were a highlight of last year, love them. 
Charm x

2016 for me was my toughest one yet (been to 2013-2016) & even by midday Friday I felt pretty defeated. Everything seemed a bit of a disaster from the get go. We were booked on the 0500 coach from London which didn't end up leaving until 0700 as one of the staff members had forgotten our batch of tickets :o We then set off & had to wait at the services for another 2 hours for them to meet us. We were then sat in that horrendous traffic & in total I don't think we were on site setting up our tent until about 1800. I could quite happily have turned round & gone home there & then if I was offered a refund.

Thursday I didn't pace myself what so ever to try and make the mud more bearable, ended up drinking my 1ltr of gin & was blind drunk in the SE Corner by about 2 in the afternoon. Friday obviously woke up with the mother of all hangovers + a case of the Brexit blues meant I felt well and truly sorry for myself. My group seemed pretty snappy with one another & we didn't get to stick together as much as we usually do due to the weather which was tough. Some other friends who we don't camp with managed to pull me out of my Friday funk in the end by basically telling me to get a grip & drink some more essentially. Can't thank them enough really & they made it extra special for me this year. *Top picture is as this was happening. I am the one with the incredibly fake smile on the left*

By Sunday I was physically exhausted from the mud. I have terrible knees & hips at the best of time & I felt they were completely worn out by Sunday. I slept in until about 5pm & was dragged by my group to see Khruangbin at WOW followed by Gary Clarke Jr & EW&F at West Holts. It was physically all I could manage & I never thought I would see the day where I saw less than about 8 acts.

Those are the relative lows which were brutal but the highs more than made up for it. Adele - Just wow. Blew me away even more than I knew she would. Not ashamed to say I had a little cry at the last 3 songs. Got completely swept up in the whole thing. EW&F on Sunday were great and such a fun finish, made even more special by the group around us who brought loads of sparklers & handed them out the people in the crowd for the finale. Felt really special and such a "Glastonbury" thing to do. Also special note to Tame Impala who put me in the best mood of the weekend *As can be seen in the bottom photo* & all the acts on Arcadia who seemed to pull it out the bag this year. Being directly underneath the body of the spider for Carl Cox & getting a little wave off the man himself was also a true highlight.

After it was all over I said I thought that was me done & it was time to admit defeat. Time to head for smaller pastures, or guaranteed sunny ones abroad. But of course come October myself & the rest of my group couldn't resist & we are back in for 2017 :danced:

**Apologies for the essay. I really did get carried away there.

gf.JPG

On 09/11/2016 at 2:25 PM, clarkete said:

russy can't help it, he preferred Kanye. 

My favourite moment of Kanye was that he encouraged me to chip off and see Grandmaster Flash, who I enjoyed very much.

Oooo this! He was ace! (Grand Master Flash I mean - for fear of stirring anything up!)

Edited by semmtexx

I've been struggling to sum up my Glastonbury 2016.  I know that part of the fun as abandoning plans and just going with it.  However this year I felt a bit cheated, it went so quickly and too much time was spent either end of the festival on treks to the car (lessons have been learned).  Also the late arrival Wednesday due to the traffic and my Wednesday night plans not happening due to the stage not being open.  (I realise lots of people had been working their butts off during the build so I'm not complaining).

My husband's post festival negativity doesn't help, he seems to have forgotten all the good bits.  I had so many good times and several Glastonbury moments. New York Brass Band on the Thursday, Mr Vegas, Adele (not my choice to go).  Experiencing the festival with kids was fantastic, I could write an essay on this alone.

The mud didn't really affect us (during the festival) partly due to where we were camped.  Although we did just give up at 2am on the Sunday morning, the mud was sticky and we were very drunk.  

It hardly rained when we were out and about.  We saw it coming on the Friday and got to the bar in The Park, had some drinks and a dance till it stopped.  

Overall nowhere near as bad as 2007, as previously described earlier in this thread (and many others).

Glastonbury is amazing.  I love the feeling of being insulated from the rest of the world.  Regarding world events and the personal stuff that's going on, whatever happens over the coming months - I'm so pleased to know I'll be at Glastonbury 2017, sitting on the grass with a pint of Brothers.

7 minutes ago, Miesh said:

too much time was spent either end of the festival on treks to the car (lessons have been learned).

Really really helps with the enjoyment when those unnecessary trips are cancelled out. Theres no need for them, no need for all the stuff people bring. No need for 2am starts, driving silly distances, queuing at silly oclock etc. Keep it simple. Bring less than you think you need.

Edited by The Nal

Just now, The Nal said:

Really really helps with the enjoyment when those unnecessary trips are cancelled out. Theres no need for them, no need for all the stuff people bring. No need for 2am starts, driving silly distances, queuing at silly oclock etc. Keep it simple. Bring less than you think you need. 

Yes I know! I'm ashamed.  In our defence we'd been spoilt by years of volunteering (at other smaller festivals) and having crew parking very close to crew camping.  We carried in a large tent for our friends on the Wednesday, we went to the car to meet them on the Thursday. 

Also our previous Glastonbury was 2010 when we were very lucky to end up parked close to the gate.

I've booked a NE coach for 2017.  My husband will be on the couch.

9 minutes ago, Miesh said:

Yes I know! I'm ashamed.  In our defence we'd been spoilt by years of volunteering (at other smaller festivals) and having crew parking very close to crew camping.  We carried in a large tent for our friends on the Wednesday, we went to the car to meet them on the Thursday. 

Also our previous Glastonbury was 2010 when we were very lucky to end up parked close to the gate.

I've booked a NE coach for 2017.  My husband will be on the couch.

The coach is my preferred mode of transport.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was that. we were inside the tent - just -at right hand side as look at stage. outside would have had no chance of hearing  

We got there too late, we were outside the tent, couldnt hear anything. Then found out that our alternative act at that time had played an absolute blinder. We had some overpriced mac and cheese and stood around for a bit feeling very sorry for ourselves. 

23 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yeah the high points were fantastic. @Mardy summed it up best saying it was like being in an abusive relationship. 

Delighted I got there early and got into the tent. Was busy.

Mr Garfunkel was one of my highlights - was in the tent to the right hand side pretty much a third of the way back. Felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity, and so glad to have made the effort to be there early enough

10 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Mr Garfunkel was one of my highlights - was in the tent to the right hand side pretty much a third of the way back. Felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity, and so glad to have made the effort to be there early enough

Agreed. Sad when you see people thinking that it will probably be the last time you'll probably get the chance but he nailed it for me and did all the stuff that Paul Simon should have done but didn't when he played.

I got in a good half an hour before Art Garfunkel started, to get a decent spot - about halfway back in the tent, just to the right hand side as you look at the stage. Big group of seated people behind me tutted at me, and one fella asked me to move - I said mate, I'm not being funny but this is a festival, I'm here to see musical acts, so no, I'll not be moving. 

Ten minutes later the stewards are asking them all to fold away their chairs/tables/picnic baskets and stand up, because the world and his wife had entered the tent and it was rammo . . . . I couldn't help but chuckle at their relentless stupidity, really :lol: