Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yep, like a load of old women moaning about the mud and rain. Its muddy and rainy every year. Grow a pair for fucks sake.

This ^^ a lot of bed wetters in this thread. If the mud bothered you that means you weren't drinking enough. Drunk me didn;t give a damn about the mud and plowed on regardless.

It was my third Glastonbury, the other two being 2013 and 2015 and I would say it was the worse one yet I still enjoyed it a lot.

We stayed in a hotel near the site Tuesday night so we drove in and were camped in less than 2 hours Wednesday so was lucky to miss the journeys from Hell that we heard a lot of people had. Like most, the mud was generally just a pain and by Sunday I was pretty much destroyed as I tried to still walk about as much as I had done in previous years.The weather during the festival wasn't that bad yet the mud was just relentless. The Line up was only okay also, with a few exceptions. A random band called 'The Elephant Sessions' on Sunday in the Avalon Tent was a surprising highlight and spurred me on to finish Sunday being positive. 

For me 2013 was my 1st and it was so absolutely Brilliant that I doubt I will ever beat that week - It had good weather, great line up, big group of mates. 2015 was also very good and I knew the layout of the site much better.

Still 2016 still gets a decent 7/10. Got tickets for 2017 so hopefully it will be a Vintage one, got a good group of mates going again which is promising. 

2013 takes some beating, to be honest.  From the lineup to the weather to the people that attended, things came together well.  This year the weather might have let us down but the people that attended?  Made up for all of that, decent attitudes were on everyone's packing list this year and it really helped to be surrounded by people who were up for it regardless.

Some of our glastonbury going group met up for a bit of a reunion camping trip a few weeks back and agree wholeheartedly that we are owed some seriously good weather this year.  A repeat of either of the years the above poster mentions would be ideal, please and thank you.

15 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

There's nothing like sitting on a long drop taking a dump whilst watching the heavens open above you. Especially when you have a pint of grimbergen on the floor just waiting to be enjoyed after you've taken a shit.

The floor of the loo is really not a place I'd want to put anything I'm intending to put near my mouth, but I am a softie in that respect.

14 hours ago, The Orgazoid said:

Yes it took a while longer, but if you really wanted to get from JP to the Park the only thing stopping you was you. 

I did have one of those moments that I think many folks had, where I was trying to get back on a metal path, but found that first one and then the second boot got stuck in the mud.  Couldn't pull either out and I'm stood there like a tw@t thinking "now, what do I do?"  Luckily a lovely couple were passing and helped me on my way.

22 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I was thinking the same thing! what sort of a monster puts their drink on the floor of a longdrop. Incredible.

Worryingly I did see an empty food box and fork on the floor of one longdrop.  What the actual fuck was someone thinking there?

13 hours ago, russycarps said:

Says the wimp who stopped going altogether in 2008 just because of a drop of rain the previous year!

Ha true. Although the 07 and 08 lineups had a lot to do with it. Headliners including Kings of Leon, The Verve, Jay-Z, Panic at the Disco, The Cribs, Pete Doherty.

The Pyramid lineup on Friday 08 must be the worst day in Glasto history surely? 

I was due to take my son to his first festival that summer, when he turned 16.  The standard of the Glastonbury lineup was such that he refused to go, insisting we went to Reading instead on the basis of most of the lineup being boring music for old people and in his words it would all be "sat around bored in a field with a bunch of old hippies".  I had the last laugh, when he was stood watching the Killers with a disappointed expression and he finally got his ass there in 2011 and never looked back (although he still goes to Reading most years as well for the full "lads, lads, lads" experience even if he is growing out of being surrounded by groups celebrating their A level results and their first drunken weekend away from the parents).

This year's lineup wasn't terrible, but it wasn't a classic year for me either.  A year like 13 or 15 where there is a wide spread of interesting shit all over the site and all over the bill would be good, for my tastes the best of this year's music was top heavy on the bill, so you were missing out constantly later in the day with less to find in the afternoons.

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ha true. Although the 07 and 08 lineups had a lot to do with it. Headliners including Kings of Leon, The Verve, Jay-Z, Panic at the Disco, The Cribs, Pete Doherty.

Wow.  Those were dark times.  Glad my first experience was 09 and not 08

39 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What, now you've cr@pped on your own credibility even further by referring to the headliners as being a key factor in attending or not?

I should add, I've always admired your sh*t stirring credentials in here.

Edited by clarkete

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That line up is incredible. I see james blunt was on the saturday too. The whole weekend line up was pretty rank. Though jimmy cliff and leonard cohen made it all worthwhile. And the verve put on a good show too (not that anyone ever believes me...). 

43 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The most comprehensive arument I've ever seen for not being lead entirely by stuff thats currently popular, but drafting a cross-genre mix of stuff from a variety of eras and genres.

Had a grand old time up until the point they ran out of wood chippings and the place got covered in tons of hay and straw.  Cue a pretty horrid reaction which saw me listen to ELO from the medical tent whilst having a few nebulisers and a few jabs of antihistamines.  Was advised to go home but... urm... was just too knackered to drive.  Sitting on the benches at Williams Green that evening in the shitty drizzle is probably my lowest point at a festival ever.  I never ever EVER thought I would say this but... Coldplay cheered me the fuck up!  I could cope with the mud - I didn't think it was too horrendous and I managed to stay upright and I thought the crowd this year were great.  Seemed to be a lot less arseholes than in the previous few years.

.... and I don't like tea.  I really want to like it and every couple of years I will make a cup and then I remember - its horrid

40 minutes ago, russycarps said:

That line up is incredible. I see james blunt was on the saturday too. The whole weekend line up was pretty rank. Though jimmy cliff and leonard cohen made it all worthwhile. And the verve put on a good show too (not that anyone ever believes me...).

I remember Elbow being paticularly good on the other stage. It was when Seldom Seen Kid was starting to get big.

Also enjoyed Spiritualized / The National as a finish on the JP Stage Sunday. Battles were a highlight, but overall it wasn't a great year line-up wise.

Battles played in 2008.  That gig was worth the entry fee alone.  Other good performances I saw over the weekend:

• Dizzee Rascal, just before/as he hit number one and one of his last gigs before he was a pop star.
  • Groove Armada
  • Manu Chao
  • The Zutons (although not a patch on their Pyramid set in 2005)
  • Jimmy Cliff
  • The Wurzels

Some of the first few on that list are amongst the best gigs I've ever seen.  2008 was a good festival, it was fairly easy to avoid the shite, Shakin' Stevens apart.

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If only there'd have been an heritage act wanting to play that year.........................

"Can we play? Its this guys dying wish? We'll play Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Pigs, Dogs, Echoes, One of These Days, Arnold Lane, Time, Us and Them...."

ap060703020937.jpg

eavis2.jpg

"No".

"Can I play? Its my dying wish". I'll play Taxman, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, My Sweet Lord, Its All Too Much...".

761702b9ab45a2f47907adf09c2660f9.jpg

"Err, no"

Glastonbury+Festival+Takes+Year+Off+UK+P

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"Can we play? Its this guys dying wish? We'll play Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Pigs, Dogs, Echoes, One of These Days, Arnold Lane, Time, Us and Them...."

ap060703020937.jpg

eavis2.jpg

"No".

"Can I play? Its my dying wish". I'll play Taxman, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, My Sweet Lord, Its All Too Much...".

761702b9ab45a2f47907adf09c2660f9.jpg

"Err, no"

Glastonbury+Festival+Takes+Year+Off+UK+P

"can I play? I promise I will tunelessly shout at the audience and call women bitches for an hour and a half?"

tumblr_n8n9r1yAR11rrvheyo1_500.png 

"You're in!"

1F3D33A600000578-3051961-_It_is_going_to 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Shhhh, don't tell him there are more than 2 stages, he might be back.

Just now, russycarps said:

why wouldnt expectations be high? It's glastonbury, the best of the best.

By 'expectations' I meant the expectation of them booking 3 headliners you absolutely love every year. It's not gonna happen.

A festival booking in 2008 didn't get much bigger than Jay Z.