Site changes for 2024 …

Crazyfool01

This sounds new too:

"Having a wander to the Theatre & Circus fields? Then roll up, roll up to the multi-coloured delights of the new Glebe Bar. Grab a drink & relax in the dedicated beer garden"

12 hours ago, incident said:

Not funny.

Some of us are still dealing with the PTSD.

I've got a weird affection for Tuborg. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's awful, but it's connected to a particular time of my life that I have very fond memories of. Admittedly that time was over 20 years ago and I stopped drinking over 10 years ago so so I've got no actual memory whatsoever of how bad it is.

its not new, or a site change... but i just saw this whilst looking at the bar page Re: the above talk -

image.png.00bef10ccf38ada21b62e023dcad3831.png

in the past i've had great experience of that place - one year i rocked up there on the sunday night just as they were closing up, they made me a "cocktail" made of whatever they could find in all the bottles laying around which in the end turned out to be freaking awesome.

i went there last year (just the once, mind) and it was all pre-mixed shite that was absolutely disgusting - ended up just throwing it in the next bin i passed as it was so horrible.

56 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

its not new, or a site change... but i just saw this whilst looking at the bar page Re: the above talk -

in the past i've had great experience of that place - one year i rocked up there on the sunday night just as they were closing up, they made me a "cocktail" made of whatever they could find in all the bottles laying around which in the end turned out to be freaking awesome.

i went there last year (just the once, mind) and it was all pre-mixed shite that was absolutely disgusting - ended up just throwing it in the next bin i passed as it was so horrible.

Was heaving every time we went past as we spent a bit of time up that way last year. Could never be arsed standing in the queue.

19 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Still miss this, loved it.

Last years festival I enjoyed it's replacement though. Playing some amazing music on the Thursday night!

I worked there last year - fantastic atmosphere at nights - classic bangers, people dancing on the tables, brilliant stuff!  Don't mourn the passing of the Kasbah - its replacement is just fine.

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

Mine was the latter experience, great looking place but the focus was clearly not on making nice cocktails. 

By comparison the ones in Latino they didn't do anything clever - had a finite selection pre-mixed, so they could serve a big queue quickly and they were delicious 

6 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I just hope The Brewery is a proper bar, with proper ales or craft and not just mass produced sh1te that is normally passed off.

what does your heart tell you ....

though it does have the advantage of backing onto the main road in and out of the site (assuming i'm picturing its location correctly) , so daily deliveries could be possible?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Mine was the latter experience, great looking place but the focus was clearly not on making nice cocktails. 

By comparison the ones in Latino they didn't do anything clever - had a finite selection pre-mixed, so they could serve a big queue quickly and they were delicious 

Is it still peacocktails in Latino? They're the same company as cockatoo so mostly have the same cocktails

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

I just hope The Brewery is a proper bar, with proper ales or craft and not just mass produced sh1te that is normally passed off. I also hope it isn't just a replacement for Boulevard and is a proper sit down place. 

Would be great, but even a Neck Oil type offering would be a significant improvement on the current state.

28 minutes ago, Nduja said:

Would be great, but even a Neck Oil type offering would be a significant improvement on the current state.

I’m sure at the festival in 2019 there was a brew bar which had craft beer on (mainstream stuff but something) we went back the next festival and they were just selling same old beers. Really disappointing.

saying all this I thought Brooklyn was such an improvement last year that I’m not going to moan about anything beer wise and fizzy pale ale as much as I like it gives me the worst hangovers 

Does anyone remember if the bars had Special Effect, Brooklyn's low/no-alc around?

I've been trying to source some in a can but looks like they only do it in glass bottles...

1 hour ago, Nduja said:

Unless we see a switch to Heineken as PB it won't be Neck Oil. Carlsberg are possibly the worst big brewery for that type of thing, Heineken have Beavertown, Lagunitas and others, even Molson Coors have Salt Beer in their distribution portfolio... (Wouldn't that be nice!) 

I think Brooklyn was the best Carlsberg could offer last year. We were looking for a new PB ourselves last year, we found that Carlsberg are (or were) very good for continental beers, not so good for American or craft style beers.

(To be fair, I'm not currently as up to date with any recent micro acquisitions or distribution deals they've made as I was last year, because we're not looking for a new PB ourselves anymore.)  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MJP said:

Does anyone remember if the bars had Special Effect, Brooklyn's low/no-alc around?

I've been trying to source some in a can but looks like they only do it in glass bottles...

Hope they sell some good alcohol free beers. Facing my first sober festival, not bothered about not getting drunk so long as can still enjoy a few refreshing beers in the sun.

23 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Unless we see a switch to Heineken as PB it won't be Neck Oil. Carlsberg are possibly the worst big brewery for that type of thing, Heineken have Beavertown, Lagunitas and others, even Molson Coors have Salt Beer in their distribution portfolio... (Wouldn't that be nice!) 

I think Brooklyn was the best Carlsberg could offer last year. We were looking for a new PB ourselves last year, we found that Carlsberg are (or were) very good for continental beers, not so good for American or craft style beers.

(To be fair, I'm not currently as up to date with any recent micro acquisitions or distribution deals they've made as I was last year, because we're not looking for a new PB ourselves anymore.)  

There were a couple of (not sit down) bars last year, one between the Glade and Other, where you could get a 440ml can of Shipyard for £5, poss £5.50 which helped the situation a lot because they were quick to serve, easy to transport and tasted *okay*.

It's a shame that the frozen margarita machine at the same bar was broken half of the time though 😞

Overall best pint was a craft IPA we got at Trickett's just as Elton was kicking off. Hopefully they still have it this year, defo worth the upward hike.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

Hope they sell some good alcohol free beers. Facing my first sober festival, not bothered about not getting drunk so long as can still enjoy a few refreshing beers in the sun.

They had ice cold cans of the Arbor non alcoholic beer at the bar in Unfairground a couple of years ago, but not last year - they also had Lucky Saint here and there, which is great if its chilled. The staff bar at Arcadia (this might not be any good to you, apologies if its not!) had a very decent german alkoholfrei weissbier, cant remember who made it but that was well worth hunting out when i was over that way. I love a beer, i just dont like getting drunk so having a good old mix up of what i drink is what i do. Good on you for going sober, you'll remember so much more of it, and can do so much more during the day! 

I also strongly recommend something really sugary for late on, a big cake or a fruit smoothie post-headliner if you want to go and do some late night things - you wont have booze as a painkiller for your knackered feet but sugar works wonders in that position. Plus here is an excuse to eat late night cake, if you want one 😁

21 minutes ago, Nduja said:

There were a couple of (not sit down) bars last year, one between the Glade and Other, where you could get a 440ml can of Shipyard for £5, poss £5.50 which helped the situation a lot because they were quick to serve, easy to transport and tasted *okay*.

It's a shame that the frozen margarita machine at the same bar was broken half of the time though 😞

Overall best pint was a craft IPA we got at Trickett's just as Elton was kicking off. Hopefully they still have it this year, defo worth the upward hike.

noting this mentally

shipyard is pretty solid

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Nduja said:

If you're talking about the one I'm thinking off, that IPA at Trickett's was amazing - probably helped by the fact it was ridiculously hot, and it was probably the coldest pint I've ever had! Was by Bristol Beer Factory. Also had it at Avalon.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

It's a slightly different type of thing, but Carlsberg do have Angelo Poretti, which I quite like and they took to Wilderness Festival last time I was there. No reason they couldn't offer it at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I am in the game as well and having real product issues with CMBC. The product line-up is so uninspiring. However for a table beer the Hobgoblin Session IPA is rather pleasant. Not sure if they had that G2023 because I wasn't there, but would be a welcome addition. 

Personally I am not a fan of the Brooklyn and would much rather have Estrella.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nduja said:

Sounds like Solstice Bar.

17 minutes ago, incident said:

It's a slightly different type of thing, but Carlsberg do have Angelo Poretti, which I quite like and they took to Wilderness Festival last time I was there. No reason they couldn't offer it at Glastonbury.

Yes, they have a vast range of decent continental beers, there's no doubting that. 

15 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I am in the game as well and having real product issues with CMBC. The product line-up is so uninspiring. However for a table beer the Hobgoblin Session IPA is rather pleasant. Not sure if they had that G2023 because I wasn't there, but would be a welcome addition. 

Personally I am not a fan of the Brooklyn and would much rather have Estrella.

I don't know what the cask offerings were like last year, it was way too hot for cask... I could be wrong, but I very much doubt jackets alone were maintaining cellar temperature inside marquees in that heat. I tried cask in the Hop & Liquor on the Wednesday in 2022, another warm day, and the condition of it was absolutely shocking. Not their fault, as you'll know well, nothing they can do without a proper cellar in that heat. (They were using what looked like tiered racks and cooling jackets to pour directly from the cask... And it was insanely hot inside the marquees.) 

I'd definitely take Estrella over Brooklyn as the main premium lager, very good shout that is!

• Upvote 1