Overcrowding / Capacity (2022 vs 2023)

st dan

Camping spots tighter, I really don't think Cinarmaggedon freed up as much space as was lost from Rivermead and Pylon. And the trend for larger tents will ever continue (not blaming people, I'm part of it, but is what it is).

But theatre fields felt a lot quieter today than Thursday last year. They were busier fri/sat last year than they were today and Thu is usually peak for them as they have stuff on.

Saw a big group on entry who didn't have wristbands on. They were wearing a lot of other wristbands which seemed an intentional distraction from them not having a general entry/hospitality wristband.

Bit worried tbh, got stuck in a crush last year. But I have so far seen more noticeable nods to crowd safety, e.g. making people stand up, security not letting people into crowds, artists acknowledging crowd safety.

It does seem like they're taking it seriously, but it's still concerning just because of how busy it is. Hoping that trying to avoid busy areas and not getting right into crowds will be sufficient to keep us safe. 

Camping is pretty concerning re: general crowd sizes. We arrived Weds evening and pretty much everything was full. Seems unheard of in previous years.

This is my 21st Glastonbury,and based on last years crowds and previous pinch points over the years, I'd say it's a normal year so far.

It was busy at the bandstand for the two guys who do dance covers on guitars, and I was at strummervile for Lottery winers, whcih was rammed, but not dangerous, but it's thursday and there isn't trhe amunt of things going on to spread the crowd.

30 minutes ago, paulshane said:

This is my 21st Glastonbury,and based on last years crowds and previous pinch points over the years, I'd say it's a normal year so far.

It was busy at the bandstand for the two guys who do dance covers on guitars, and I was at strummervile for Lottery winers, whcih was rammed, but not dangerous, but it's thursday and there isn't trhe amunt of things going on to spread the crowd.

This is an important perspective, thanks for sharing it. I’m not there this year but really hoping that 2022 was the outlier rather than the new norm. It’s great to hear that you think this year is comparable to the others you have attended.

I think it does really change from year to year, and its been like that for years,  and theres always going to be crazy crushes and pinch points each year, sometimes from sheer bad luck as everyone has the same idea of going somewhere, or just from poor booking decisions. 

They had to shut off Williams Green on the Thursday in 2009 to stop people trying to get to see Maximo Park, that year getting out of Kasabian on the Saturday was insane. 

2010 it was crazy full on the Wednesday, we had to walk all the way across the site to find some camping. 

2013 turned up Wednesday late afternoon, loads of camping still left. Getting out of Rolling Stones was scary. 

2017 got the coach from Leeds on the Thursday, loads of camping spaces still left. 

Edited by swede

I'm on site without bands right now (but for legitimate production-not-awake-yet reasons). I did see about 10 blokes run down park area earlier and security massed ranks and took a load of them out. Not sure how they were in without tickets but it was clear security were looking for them. First time I've ever seen that at Glastonbury (although I'm rarely awake and sober at 6am)

18 minutes ago, cnph said:

I'm on site without bands right now (but for legitimate production-not-awake-yet reasons). I did see about 10 blokes run down park area earlier and security massed ranks and took a load of them out. Not sure how they were in without tickets but it was clear security were looking for them. First time I've ever seen that at Glastonbury (although I'm rarely awake and sober at 6am)

I see it quite a lot, they do catch people. We stayed in sticklinch last year and they spent a lot of the night running after people who’d tried to get in that way 

Looking at all the snap videos on snap chat maps from the last 24 hours it looks crazy busy, in 2022 I only really experienced that at the Secret Set for George Ezra, saying that it’s a glorious, day so no one is hiding in their tent, everything is not fully open yet, and Example for example was always going to pull a big crowd

I think the camping space has been squeezed with the changes to campervan accessibility, hospitality and the Pyramid and surrounding areas having wider paths (necessary!).

I think the biggest thing is everyone seems to have bigger tents. Single people in 3-4 man tents. There are hardly any 2 man popups about. 

6 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

I think the camping space has been squeezed with the changes to campervan accessibility, hospitality and the Pyramid and surrounding areas having wider paths (necessary!).

I think the biggest thing is everyone seems to have bigger tents. Single people in 3-4 man tents. There are hardly any 2 man popups about. 

With pylon now being hospitality camping I guess that's also squeezed other areas, maybe they need to open up additional camping fields but then you'd either lose parking areas or have to pay for extra fields

Some of the planning is still way off. Especially Shangri-La. Mike skinner playing Nowhere. We gave up halfway it was gridlock. Not a steward in sight. 

why do they keep putting artists on small stages and leaving the larger ones empty on Weds/Thurs. 

got almost crushed trying to get to the toilets when Skindred was on. Absolutely manic. To the point it’s becoming no longer enjoyable, and quite unsafe on times. 

You can’t get anywhere remotely near stages anymore on the early days and it just becomes pointless as you can’t hear the music just people chatting. 

was never like this a few years ago. It’s always been busy but it’s becoming unmanageable. I’m shocked there’s no large scale accidents yet. 

• Like 1

I am not there this year but have noticed more Insta/TicTok posters with massive tents for single people.

The festival has done well to ban/reduce the amount of gazebos there, maybe its time to encourage people not to bring a stand-up, family tent for 6, for just one person? 

16 hours ago, amfy said:

I was at both of those and the camping fields were so packed that people were literally pitching tents in ditches. there is more camping space now.
Some of the paths and crossing points felt equally crowded and risky then & now, but last year it felt like all of them were

…….and the stages were nowhere near as busy in 99/2002 as they were last year.

I was at both 1999 and 2000. I agree - don't think they have any comparison. 

Got to say I don't think I agree on the crowding. Yes - on the places there are things on its been busy. Went to see London Paranoid expecting half a crowd and it was rammed, on The Levels. But at the same time at least 5 other places were rammed too which is a big improvement on previous years where only one thing was on and suddenly everyone on site cared about seeing The Levellers. 

I wandered from Campervan East round Pyramid to the Levels, up to West Holts, round Glade up to the Park then home via South East and T&C - was busy but didnt see any crushes. 

4 minutes ago, Rudi said:

I also saw Paranoid london @ levels. Was packed for job jobse / palms trax just before but it cleared out quite nicely when PL came on.

Popped in San remo afterwards, won't be doing that again 😧

Job jobse was busy at the entrance, a lot of people traffic. Entering and leaving at the same time. The front was still busy but more movement. Pretty much the same for most large crowd's 

1 hour ago, Riggins said:

Here's me on my way in now wondering where on earth I'm going to pitch my tent from the sounds of these posts 😬

If you’ve got a sensible 2 man tent, you’ll squeeze in. The local stewards will direct you. I’m in Hawkwell and, while it’s kinda sardine-y there’s a 2 man tent sized space next to us that we’re using to sit in. We expected to come ‘home’ last night to find someone in it. 

• Thanks 1