The churnups

a6l6e6x

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Both.  An utterly joyless and lacklustre experience when i've seen them, and everyone i've spoken to who's seen them agrees.

I agree with this - just...boring when I've seen them before, and everybody I know who's seen them says the same.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Both.  An utterly joyless and lacklustre experience when i've seen them, and everyone i've spoken to who's seen them agrees

Yeah I saw them when they played The Other stage.  Debbie's voice wasn't the strongest then and the performance felt a bit flat.

Though back then the sound on that stage was poor so could have had an effect but I can't see Debbie's voice getting better in the last decade

2 hours ago, p.pete said:

Ignoring all of my own points, and the poster, I feel like Yusuf is the legend.  Happy to let the flashmob folk decide though 😛 

Ugh! Are they still doing the flashmob?! Flashmobs are so insufferably naff; security staff doing a badly choreographed bog-standard dance routine, distracting from and embarrassing whomever is on stage. Isn't the very point of a flashmob that you don't expect it.

I cringe at the very thought.

• Like 1

Just now, maelzoid said:

Ugh! Are they still doing the flashmob?! Flashmobs are so insufferably naff; security staff doing a badly choreographed bog-standard dance routine, distracting from and embarrassing whomever is on stage. Isn't the very point of a flashmob that you don't expect it.

I cringe at the very thought.

Not happening this year 

9 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Both.  An utterly joyless and lacklustre experience when i've seen them, and everyone i've spoken to who's seen them agrees.

Agree with this. They seem totally bored on stage and just going through the motions. Yet they seem to show up on the middle of the bill at every outdoor rock gig in recent years, sucking the life out of crowds before the headliners. 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cos all the songs that people have been posting over the last few pages aren't fit to kiss the feet of the likes of Sweet Child Of Mine or Paradise City.

Genuinely can't tell if this is sarcasm or not 

With regards to why people aren't excited, I suspect they saw the foo fighters last slot at Glastonbury. Snooze fest

It has annoyed me somewhat that DG posted that, as I would have liked to have been guessing and wondering as close to their actual appearance as possible. Maybe only finding out in the Glasto Free Press the day before etc. but maybe he was told to do it by EE as the majority of people were too convinced it was Pulp and she wanted to temper expectations.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

It has annoyed me somewhat that DG posted that, as I would have liked to have been guessing and wondering as close to their actual appearance as possible. Maybe only finding out in the Glasto Free Press the day before etc. but maybe he was told to do it by EE as the majority of people were too convinced it was Pulp and she wanted to temper expectations.

I like the idea that he was so excited he just couldnt keep the info to himself

55 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Fair enough. Planning on seeing them and if they're crap I'll make an early exit and head for Barrington Levy / Far From Saints

Ordered the Far From Saints album the other day. £25 on Amazon but if you order the signed version, it's £20 😁

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Anyone know how were they at Coachella?  will be interested to hear how well their shows are received in Cardiff / IOW...

Their Rock in Rio set is on Youtube and I thought it was decent. Voice isn't great but she is 77.

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Yeah I saw them when they played The Other stage.  Debbie's voice wasn't the strongest then and the performance felt a bit flat.

Though back then the sound on that stage was poor so could have had an effect but I can't see Debbie's voice getting better in the last decade

To be fair, early doors on the other is a tough gig to pull off. Nearest anyone has come is the hives.

Maybe the Sunday afternoon party crowd will help them nail it

4 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Technology has improved though.

indeed.  The last couple of years The Other stage consistently sounds a lot better

3 minutes ago, mazola said:

To be fair, early doors on the other is a tough gig to pull off. Nearest anyone has come is the hives.

Maybe the Sunday afternoon party crowd will help them nail it

Thank god The Hives are here to kick things off with a bang again.  Best way to start a festival.

TBH, like a lot of legend acts (and to an extent, Elton), their voices not being as strong isn't too much of a problem when you've got the crowd singing along and if they give it beans, they'll get the crowd going no problem.

35 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

indeed.  The last couple of years The Other stage consistently sounds a lot better

Thank god The Hives are here to kick things off with a bang again.  Best way to start a festival.

TBH, like a lot of legend acts (and to an extent, Elton), their voices not being as strong isn't too much of a problem when you've got the crowd singing along and if they give it beans, they'll get the crowd going no problem.

Ben Howard is kicking things off with a bang, mate.

35 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Saw blondie in 2008 middle of the day on the second stage were really good, but that was 15 years ago can't remember thinking Debbie's voice was that bad. 

It wasn't, Blondie are fine live , not sure why the hate on here, Clem is a terrific drummer and well worth seeing even if Debbie's voice isn't what it was. BTW Debbie is older than Cat Stevens and Elton John and only a year younger then Diana Ross so it may be wise to set your expectations accordingly.

• Upvote 2

they were great at brixton academy in 2017 - i did also enjoy them on the other stage in 2014 but brixton was the better gig

just looked up a review from brixton show https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/blondie-brixton-academy-deborah-harry-debbie-chris-stein-london-pollinator-a8062821.html

looking forward to seeing them on the pyramid this year!