What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

To counteract the departure thread lets talk about the more positive arrival strategy ..... Mine is to drop the car in the car park laden with pushbikes and trailers the night before and get a lift back to Taunton in a car following us down . Then to catch hopefully an early bus on the wed and go in with a light load and tent ... set the tent up ... go back to car around 11am (fingers crossed ) and cycle back in with second load in bike trailer . which then get left in lockups 

2017 - got a lift with a mate, we went down the night before and stayed with his cousin about an hour out. He'd ordered in domino's for our arrival, was really appreciative of his hospitality. Left early hours but took a wrong turn. Ended up in gate A queue for a couple of hours, got through, sweaty mess, asked a steward where darble was, fearing the worst, only to be told I was standing in it.

2019 - got a lift with one of the people in our group I was vaguely aware of. Train upto London to meet, in the queue at gate A by 11ish. Was near the back of the queue, when I was told another gate was clear (think gate D but not sure). Was set up with a beer within the hour, others with us, further in front of our group took 4 hours to get through the queue.

2022 - first time coaching it. Wife gave me a lift to London, only for the train strikes to cause chaos. Despite leaving 2 hours early, got to the 02 with a few minutes spare, and then struggled to find the pick up site. After 5 panic stricken minutes, found it, and sat there for 45 minutes as the coach was delayed. Onsite by midday after a fairly quick queue. 

Getting a much earlier coach this year so resigning myself to a horrendous queue when on site

Setting off about 6-7am on the Monday, it’s about a 4hr drive so will be there mid-morning. Volunteering with Oxfam so I’ll get me shifts and wristband, sort my tent and bed etc out, and then head onto the site for a good walk around and couple of beers in the staff bars . . . planning on getting up to Glastonbury Tor on the Tuesday, weather permitting etc - then a bit more of a site wander while it’s lovely and quiet, see some other worker bees, ahead of Wednesday morning and all you bloody lot turning up and making it noisy and packed 🥳

Tried and tested method now is to set off after work Tuesday, drive the 5 hours to get there (including stop off for food), park up, camping chairs out, few drinks then try to get some sleep in the car. Up at 5:30 / 6:00, join the queue and hope for the best.

Drive down Sunday to stay in a youth hostel nearby (Bath or Cheddar are favourites). Then an easy Monday morning, last minute supermarket run, drive in and get into the Oxfield late morning/early afternoon. Set the van up while waiting for mates to arrive. Lots of bumping in to people I know but can never remember their names, but that's fine cos they clearly can't remember mine.  Wait for registration to open (late usually) then a wander in to site together. Usually with a few new people we've collectively picked up from the bus/camping nearby/chatting in the marquee. 

2 minutes ago, SGS said:

I'll be going in and out of the site the week before but I'll be going in with my bell tent and main stuff on Saturday to set my tent up, and sunday to ferry more stuff in and monday to get half my team in with their gear. so if you needed a lift in or back sat, sun mon I might be able to help - send me a private message if you need 

i think we are sorted but will bear that in mind thank you 🙂 tried and tested last year , which opened up the bus option this year 🙂 

Collect the minibus/es and van (for the gear) at 08:30 on the Tuesday morning go to the meeting point for everybody for about 09:30. Load everybody's gear into then van and then set off for the 400 mile drive from Glasgow, plenty of stops on the steady drive down (the minibus/es are limited to 62mph). Stop of at the Bristol parkway Asda between 18:00-19:00 so those that have been drinking can replenish their stock and everyone can get the 1 thing they forgot to pack 🙂 

From there we normally stop at the Knowle Inn, which has now burnt down and is closed so we`ll find a different one this year.

Into the carparks for about 23:00  and into the queue with minimal gear (just tents and a chair to sit on), at this point those that have been drinking fall asleep while me and the other driver/s  have a beer or 6. into the site as soon as gates open then to our normal campsite, tents up and relax. Slow meander back to the van once rested for the rest of the gear 🙂 

Done it this way since about 2010 and for us it works.

PS we do still have a couple of spare seats on the minibus/es and we do it at cost 🙂 DM me for details.               

• Like 1

I'm on the national express this year, and there is only 1 direct from Portsmouth so I don't get to pick when I leave/arrive. Not due to arrive until 14:30, so should miss the worst of the queues, and planning to camp in darble again.

Should be slightly easier than last year, when train strikes meant I had to leave straight after work on the Tues, get nat ex to London then another to Bristol so I could get my seeticket coach on the weds morning.

Last year and this year will be roughly the same.

Stay Sunday night at hotel near to the site (Bristol last year, Shepton Mallet this year).  Monday morning off to Tescos at Shepton to pick up booze and food before heading onto site.  Once registered at recycling crew pitch my tent in Tom's Field and have a wander round the site before hitting the crew bars on the Monday evening.

Saturday pre event.

Set off as soon as I'm ready, usually early afternoon. Stop for fuel and supermarket stock up.

Enter via red gate, park up in holding space, get my H&S band, join the queue, can vary in size, last year there was one van in front of me. Get vechile pass issued, drive slowly down the railway track, through Undle Ground and into to Dragon field. Saying hello to many mates on the way. Park up, sort the van. Possibly start a shift or else chat with folks.

Last year was about 30 minutes from arriving at Red Gate to being parked up.

11 minutes ago, Franky said:

Wake up around 02:00 then drive down to site past Oxford and Swindon. Normally arrive about 04:30, rebuild the trolley quickly, dump everything in said trolley and hopefully head for gate D. Join queue, wait for some time 🤷‍♂️

You can’t be far from me then! (Abingdon)

I always catch a train from Southampton around 8-8.30am on Wednesday. I arrive onsite at roughly 11:30 and am pitched up in Bushy Ground by 12pmish. I get to know my neighbours, have a nap and then later on wander around, get something to eat, wander around some more, go see a late film if there's one on and then get back to my tent around 12-1am. I really enjoy the Wednesday. 

Same as last year will be: set off from London 8am Wednesday morning, just after the kids have gone to nursery.

Arrive into CV East Quiet at lunchtime.

Set the van up, pitch my mate’s tent, have ceremonial first beer.

Edited by Twiggy553

First timer (sorry to mention again)

So we're heading down Tuesday night after work from Leeds.

People were going with have family around 5 miles away from site and have said we can park our camper on their drive the night before.

They've even said they'll do bacon sarnies before we set off, intending to set off around 6am Weds morning got tickets in East General Campervan.

Just now, Twiggy553 said:

Same as last year will be: set off from London 8am Wednesday morning, just after the kids have gone to nursery.

Arrive into CV East Quiet at lunchtime.

Set the van up, pitch my mate’s tent, have ceremonial first beer.

Which field numbers are the quiet CV east fields? 

Screenshot_20230330-003733.png

Do the school run Thursday morning then head straight off.

Takes 3-3.30 hours on a decent run. 

Be on site with a beer in hand by 1-2pm. 

We’ve done the whole up at 2am and get in the queue as early as possible Wednesday thing many times in our 20s, never again. 

More than happy to arrive a little later feeling fresh as a daisy! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Do the school run Thursday morning then head straight off.

Takes 3-3.30 hours on a decent run. 

Be on site with a beer in hand by 1-2pm. 

We’ve done the whole up at 2am and get in the queue as early as possible Wednesday thing many times in our 20s, never again. 

More than happy to arrive a little later feeling fresh as a daisy! 

How are camping spots arriving that time? It always feel like there’s plenty of space as long as you don’t mind an extra 10/15 minutes walk from the main areas?