What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

The last few times (and this year as well) has been the national express coach from Bristol at 6:30am. Usually arrive at gate A by 7:45am, then join the back of the queue which starts moving pretty quickly. We have friends who drive and arrive at about 5/5:30am and join the Gate B queue. We all camp together in Big Ground so it’s first through the gate and at the campgrounds who claims the spot and sends location to the others. This is usually us who have come via coach as Gate A queue has always been swifter, but last year it didn’t, the Gate A queue took significantly longer than Gate B and we ended up being the last of our group through the gates and to that campsite, don’t think I was set up until about 12:30/1pm.

6 minutes ago, HMCC said:

This thread has been so helpful. I was thinking of getting the train down from London, but it looks like driving is more stress-free.

if you arrive peak times you will likely queue at some point with any form of transport .... trains might involve 2 queues though . however off peak the queues will be minimal for both 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I separate from my mates on the way in and meet them just inside gate A … I really need to walk in at my own pace . It’s the only time on the farm I get frustrated 

You a fellow stomper then?  I think my natural walking pace is "military marching".  Even pulling the loaded trolley I always end up 50 metres in front of everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Get the caravan loaded and hooked up to the car Monday evening and then up and on the road for 6am Tuesday.

A stop at the services at the top of the M3 for breakfast and then on-site in CV East quiet before midday hopefully..

Set up awning & tent during the afternoon, BBQ early evening and a sit down on the HoD later to gaze over the site..

Missed it last year...

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

You a fellow stomper then?  I think my natural walking pace is "military marching".  Even pulling the loaded trolley I always end up 50 metres in front of everyone else.

yep and also when we had the bikes and had to do the slalom at gate A it just wasnt easy with 2 of us pushing them with the angles we needed to take so better if we separated anyway .... now have a workaround that makes that easier if we go by car . but yeah own pace is a must 

1 hour ago, HMCC said:

This thread has been so helpful. I was thinking of getting the train down from London, but it looks like driving is more stress-free.

It does depend when you're arriving though.

Someone I know has got the train down Weds evening after work a few times and he's pretty much sailed in, first on the shuttle coaches (with hardly anyone else on them) and then walked straight through the gates.

My well established approach costs a bit extra, but actually makes the journey part of the build up and (in large parts) enjoyable:

A cheap (and much more relaxed) Nat Ex to Bristol on the Tuesday afternoon.

Book into a Hotel a couple minutes walk from Broadmead Coach Station, then meet up with friends and have a nice pub meal and a drink or two (nothing heavy) in one of Bristols fine establishments.

Wednesday morning have a final shower and then Nat Ex direct to site at a comfortable time (7:30am this year) because I'm too old and tired for 4am coaches. Depending on traffic and queues should get through the gates about 9:30-10:30am.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

It does depend when you're arriving though.

Someone I know has got the train down Weds evening after work a few times and he's pretty much sailed in, first on the shuttle coaches (with hardly anyone else on them) and then walked straight through the gates.

That's true, thank you. Luckily I have the time off work so can sail down when the roads hopefully aren't too busy - I'll make sure to bring lots of snacks and water in case I'm in the queue for hours. I've only got a little car so hope it'll survive driving over the fields!

1 hour ago, ___DGH___ said:

First timer this year. 4 of us driving down from Central Scotland. Thinking of leaving about 10pm on Tuesday night, roughly 7 hour drive. Staying in Worthy View so I’m guessing the queuing is not so bad. Or is that naivety on my part 😂

Literally never a queue for worthy view regardless of when you arrive and no real rush to get in as your tent is pre allocated.

Wouldn't have said its worth the burden of travelling overnight imo, personally if youre in Worthy View id leave early on Wednesday morning and get an extra night sleep in a bed but that's just me.

3 minutes ago, Zig-A-Zig-Ah said:

Literally never a queue for worthy view regardless of when you arrive and no real rush to get in as your tent is pre allocated.

Wouldn't have said its worth the burden of travelling overnight imo, personally if youre in Worthy View id leave early on Wednesday morning and get an extra night sleep in a bed but that's just me.

I would agree with this, probably better to get a full nights sleep Tuesday evening, then leave at 6-7am Weds morning so you arrive by 1-2pm...straight into Worthy View, then down onto the main site and straight on it. 🙂 

• Like 1

Luckily our friend queue's at A or D overnight with our tents so we get a good spot near the Park. The last few years I've driven down Tuesday after work with a mate to a prebooked hotel in Wells/shepton mallet area. We'd then make an early getaway to help set up. Last year there were quite  a few in the queue so we were able to have full English before leaving for the festival. Felt so much better having had a full nights sleep and mega sustinance. We joined the gate D queue about 9 and were at our pitch at 10.30am. Some people were in the Gate A queue around 6.30am and arrived at camp an hour after us!  Definitely doing that again this year, just hope we're as lucky getting in 

18 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Having tried a variety of plans over the years (Staying the night before at the Glastonbury Premiere Inn, sleeping in the car in the East car park, etc.), we come down on Monday, park the CVs at a nearby pub, and drive into CV East around 8am on the Tuesday. Little queuing, no hassle.

Considering doing something very similar this year. Is it a question of bimbling around the A37 until the gate opens? 

First timers. We're doing a bit of a Interrail eurotrip beforehand. Will arrive to Bristol on Tuesday around noon. Stock up, try to get as much sleep as possible, last shower and then take the national express at 6am. Through the gates, pitched and with a beer in hand in no time - hopefully.

2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 Left Devon at approx 5am Wednesday, parked up by 7am joined the queue at PGC at around 8. Tent pitched in Kidney Mead by around 11/12 latest. 

2015 and 2016 Left Devon at the same time but found ourselves directed to different car parks (traffic horrendous in 2016 for various reasons) and ended up at PGB instead which messed with my equilibrium. Walked down muddy lane and into Kidney Mead again by 1-2pm. (It was quite full by this time but we got our preferred spot parallel to the pathway, just a little higher up the hill than normal).  Love Kidney Mead. 

This year I return but heading to Love Fields PYO for ease and convenience and a treat. Will leave Devon at 10-11am Wednesday hopefully sail straight in for the 12 o'clock check in. 

1 hour ago, hurdy said:

Considering doing something very similar this year. Is it a question of bimbling around the A37 until the gate opens? 

Best not to if possible. There’s no guarantee but the CV fields have opened at an earlier unpublished time of 8am over recent years. We have friends who work at the festival so we tend to receive confirmation the gates are open and we can get there within 15 mins from where we stop overnight. If you’re on the road too early then the police will keep you moving, meaning you have to negotiate a tricky U turn somewhere, there’s very limited options if you’re Southbound on the A37 after the entry point. 

26 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Best not to if possible. There’s no guarantee but the CV fields have opened at an earlier unpublished time of 8am over recent years. We have friends who work at the festival so we tend to receive confirmation the gates are open and we can get there within 15 mins from where we stop overnight. If you’re on the road too early then the police will keep you moving, meaning you have to negotiate a tricky U turn somewhere, there’s very limited options if you’re Southbound on the A37 after the entry point. 

Cheers... Will have to come up with a cunning plan B then... 

I've arrived on Thursday mid-afternoon the past two times but thinking about arriving on the Weds this year as it absolutely sucked last year working when I knew people were there already. Anyway I've booked the Weds off and I'm gonna see what the weather is like. Either way setting off from Yorkshire about 9am, lunch stop on the way and probs getting onsite about 3pm. Staying in Worthy View for ease as I come with my young son so just get the beds sorted and then off down to find cider (me not him - hippy chippie chips for us both I think). 

5 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I would agree with this, probably better to get a full nights sleep Tuesday evening, then leave at 6-7am Weds morning so you arrive by 1-2pm...straight into Worthy View, then down onto the main site and straight on it. 🙂 

That’s got me thinking now, I was just not sure how the traffic would be approaching the site at say Wednesday lunchtime. Also, the thought of doing the majority of the journey down from Scotland on empty roads sounded good. I will have a think.

7 hours ago, ___DGH___ said:

First timer this year. 4 of us driving down from Central Scotland. Thinking of leaving about 10pm on Tuesday night, roughly 7 hour drive. Staying in Worthy View so I’m guessing the queuing is not so bad. Or is that naivety on my part 😂

That’s the drive we do though we now stay in Glastonbury town for a few days prior to the festival. You should be fine. The queues into WV arnt bad, just watch out for  the signs from the main road. It’s down the country lanes to the campsite but there’s stewards at junctions to guide you. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

2 hours ago, hurdy said:

Cheers... Will have to come up with a cunning plan B then... 

Glastonbury are at pains to say that the fields arent open until Tuesday lunchtime.. But they/police clearly dont want the local  roads bunged up with bimbling traffic..

depending which direction you are coming from you could look at services or laybys...  Coming from London along the A313 there are a couple of big laybys on the dual carriageway (maybe 30 minutes from Pylle Lane) or bottom of the A37 is Podmore Services (15 mins?)

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s the drive we do though we now stay in Glastonbury town for a few days prior to the festival. You should be fine. The queues into WV arnt bad, just watch out for  the signs from the main road. It’s down the country lanes to the campsite but there’s stewards at junctions to guide you. Enjoy! 

If it was me I would be more inclined to travel down Tuesday afternoon and stay in a nearby hotel, get a full nights sleep then into WV, or leave Glasgow early Weds AM and sail straight into WV at lunchtime.

No point depriving yourself of sleep before the festival has started when you don't need to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

If it was me I would be more inclined to travel down Tuesday afternoon and stay in a nearby hotel, get a full nights sleep then into WV, or leave Glasgow early Weds AM and sail straight into WV at lunchtime.

No point depriving yourself of sleep before the festival has started when you don't need to.

100%. The self inflicted sleep deprived crew need to be locked up in Rampton.