Williams Green

4AssedMonkey

16 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

They have some good stuff on after the bands finish, be a real shame to lose a non-SE Corner/Dance music option.

This would be the most upsetting aspect for me.  The Thursday/big act/small stage/overcrowding shit I wouldn't go near.  I've seen some good acts in the day, but the real fun to be had there was after hours.  It was refreshing to have an alternative to EDM going on until 3:00am.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Coming late to this chat but I would 100% be up for a stage curated by MAH.

Definitely a shame. Only went there a few times but if they don't replace it losing a whole stage would be a real loss.

Just an opinion, but I find MAH unbearable these days.  She's become obsessive about "underground" producers and DJ's no fucker has ever heard of and they all sound boring as fuck to me.

Does anyone have word on where the bands are possibly going instead? (I don’t mean the gimmicks like Bastille and Mel C I mean the kind of acts one would see at End of the Road like Caroline, Porridge Radio, Yard Act, Sprints.) Whoever booked that stage had great taste and it was a great surprise after the poster drop on who they booked and I’m really bummed if the stage and those acts are just disappearing this year. Like is that booker getting another stage to book?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ahhh Ben, I'm still sulking over the loss of the Glade. Never happier than being plonked right in the centre of that Funktion One Vero setup. So many good times in there over the years.

Pretty sure I read that Funktion One built the sound system at the new Glade too, I forgotten where that was though.

I too loved the old Glade (was my favourite stage) but it was a nightmare when busy, plus the ground was a bit too rocky for dancing. I really liked the new Glade/Glade Dome set up. 

30 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I too loved the old Glade (was my favourite stage) but it was a nightmare when busy, plus the ground was a bit too rocky for dancing. I really liked the new Glade/Glade Dome set up. 

Same issue with the guinea pig sized "woodchip" last year.  My ankles were fucking agony trying to walk/dance on that stuff.

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Pretty sure I read that Funktion One built the sound system at the new Glade too, I forgotten where that was though.

I too loved the old Glade (was my favourite stage) but it was a nightmare when busy, plus the ground was a bit too rocky for dancing. I really liked the new Glade/Glade Dome set up. 

FC48873B-16BF-4293-929F-777F6839EFE6.thumb.jpeg.6f7c0e4e5db376f8e94f750e4170572f.jpeg

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

FC48873B-16BF-4293-929F-777F6839EFE6.thumb.jpeg.6f7c0e4e5db376f8e94f750e4170572f.jpeg

and yet whilst trying to watch Carl Cox all I could hear was the sound bleed from the spike bar dj playing motown haha The new big glade stage tent thing doesnt work its too close to the walk ways and just causes a big bottle neck, maybe spin the tent around 180 so the crowd is on the other side and the sound travels the opposite direction ?

4 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Was defs Funktion One in the big tent, some other sound system in the real glade (aka the Dome).

24 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

That’s interesting as the spike bar had no sound system this year.

he had his own set-up, just 2 big speakers on stands , his box of vinyl and his turntables. I sacked off carl coxs and sat inside the spike bar downstairs and watched the huge queue for £10 cocktails haha 

I took these on the Wednesday 

Screenshot_2023-02-02-21-23-49-731_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Edited by gazzared

Long since given up trying to watch anything on the Thursday probably since the Maximo Park debacle. That aside really a very decent stage.

Saw two of my favourite bands in there in days gone by I Am Kloot and Cherry Ghost in front of very sparse crowds.

Got on the barrier for Yard Act in there last time around.

Stumbled across a great Argentinian girl band called Las Kellies- they drew my attention walking past as they reminded me of The Slits. When I looked further into them later turned out their album was produced by the same guy that produced Cut. 

Be a massive shame, think it’s always got excellent bands on it and a good variety of bars and food places close by. Think main problem in 2022 was scheduling two quite large acts on Thursday when there’s nowt else on. Remember going for the secret set in 2019 when it was Big Moon and they’re the type of band at that time that’s perfect for that type of slot.

if you want to do some ‘unofficial’ Thursday set with a relatively large band at least put them on West Holts or Park

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This would be the most upsetting aspect for me.  The Thursday/big act/small stage/overcrowding shit I wouldn't go near.  I've seen some good acts in the day, but the real fun to be had there was after hours.  It was refreshing to have an alternative to EDM going on until 3:00am.

Just an opinion, but I find MAH unbearable these days.  She's become obsessive about "underground" producers and DJ's no fucker has ever heard of and they all sound boring as fuck to me.

Fair enough. That's exactly the stuff I love her for! Well that and that she plays Nick Cave and Slipknot regularly.

7 hours ago, assorted said:

Does anyone have word on where the bands are possibly going instead? (I don’t mean the gimmicks like Bastille and Mel C I mean the kind of acts one would see at End of the Road like Caroline, Porridge Radio, Yard Act, Sprints.) Whoever booked that stage had great taste and it was a great surprise after the poster drop on who they booked and I’m really bummed if the stage and those acts are just disappearing this year. Like is that booker getting another stage to book?

This. Really hope we don't just lose those acts altogether.

• Upvote 1

I think they should have binned the Thursday and other bigger acts off to avoid the crowd issues and just concentrated on the new upcoming bands. Part of the issue is those bands often get tiny crowds during the day and deserve a bigger audience. I think that's because there's no reason to go inside the tent unless you want to see a specific band, the tent is quite small and isn't open, hence the sound doesn't carry far outside to attract any new people into it and its quite set back from the path.

Perhaps move it (or a similar tent) to somewhere where their will be lot of passing traffic coming through, and leave the tent open so the sound carries further. Most of my favourite times at Glasto have been when I have wandered past a stage and heard something coming out of the tent I never heard before and wanted to hear more of and sowent in. I have founds so many bands like this over the years (before Spotify playlist were a thing) which I came to love, M83, Holy F%ck, Jagwar Ma, etc just by walking past a tent/stage. A lot of the bands at WG deserve a much bigger crowd and its a bit sad to see so few people in the tent, so a bit of footfall passing outside might help if they moved it and made the tent open

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bradboss said:

Be a massive shame, think it’s always got excellent bands on it and a good variety of bars and food places close by. Think main problem in 2022 was scheduling two quite large acts on Thursday when there’s nowt else on. Remember going for the secret set in 2019 when it was Big Moon and they’re the type of band at that time that’s perfect for that type of slot.

if you want to do some ‘unofficial’ Thursday set with a relatively large band at least put them on West Holts or Park

Sadly the licence doesn't allow music on the big stages before Friday. They actually tried putting stuff on at W Holts at a lower volume in 2004, but got in trouble with the council.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:31 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Sadly the licence doesn't allow music on the big stages before Friday. They actually tried putting stuff on at W Holts at a lower volume in 2004, but got in trouble with the council.

I don't think it was just 2004 - technically, the main stages are allowed a 2 hour "soundcheck" on the Thursday but the JazzWorld somewhat took the piss a bit by using that to put an (unannounced) live band on. I think they did it in a few different years before the council caught on and quashed it - I know that the year I saw it first hand (somewhere in the 00s) it was Lamb.

Edited by incident

On 2/1/2023 at 11:41 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

We all thought the Thursday WG sets were stupid anyway.  There was massive debate last year about even dropping hints, we considered leaving it entirely, like with Paulo in the RH.

I remember telling you it was on, but have a vague memory of you saying Glasto told you not to post it? Or did you just make a call not to given the mayhem it'd cause...

• Like 1