The most you’ve ever paid for a gig?

Hugh Jass II

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Funny several people are mentioning an REM reunion, I was JUST thinking that. I'd pay a lot. Can't see it ever happening. I was 19 when they broke up and just not into them at the time and it's probably my #1 music-related regret. 

Saw them in about 1984 in Liverpool

That will do for me

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Funny several people are mentioning an REM reunion, I was JUST thinking that. I'd pay a lot. Can't see it ever happening. I was 19 when they broke up and just not into them at the time and it's probably my #1 music-related regret. 

Funny thing about REM is that by the time they broke up their popularity was massively on the wane. Recall there being a Cardiff gig that was downgraded from the Milennium Stadium to the smaller Cardiff City one due to poor sales.

Their very last album, Collapse Into Now, was great and criminally overlooked too.

A rather privileged tip for you all.

If one of your big time faves is doing stadiums across Europe and you're facing spending £100+ for a shit seat at Wembley, take a look at some of the venues they're playing in other countries. It can sometimes surprise you the disparity in the venue capacity and for the same money you can get a ticket that's somewhat worth it.

Example when I went to see Fleetwood in Berlin we saw them at the Waldbuhne which is a massive amphitheatre but the capacity is about 23,000 people so for £150 we got an amazing view closer than half way in an amazing outdoor setting (it did rain, but no one cared). On the same tour at Wembley that £150 would have been a much worse experience (not sure if that was the "behind the stage" level but wasn't much better if not).

Of course to do this you have to make the whole gig into a holiday which adds up to more, but if you get to see a new city and you can afford to do it then it's an amazing thing to do.

12 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Funny thing about REM is that by the time they broke up their popularity was massively on the wane. Recall there being a Cardiff gig that was downgraded from the Milennium Stadium to the smaller Cardiff City one due to poor sales.

Their very last album, Collapse Into Now, was great and criminally overlooked too.

The irony of the whole shebang being that if they were to reform I'd actually be massively disappointed that they hadn't stuck to their guns 😂

There was a brilliant documentary on them a while back, as I remember they kind of collectively realised that maybe they weren't putting things out to the consistent quality that they once were, and weren't interested in continuing to basically live off Losing My Religion-era. Personally I probably revisit their IRS years material more than the Warner Bros onwards.

Got to see them once and they were fantastic.

Edited by Quark

I cant think I've ever paid more than about £80 - I think this years AM stadium gig is maybe the most so far. Happy to have ticked off some acts I'd want to see and may have cost me large - Stevie Wonder, Stones, Macca at Glastonbury. Like others, I got Blur summer tickets but at half price. I wouldn't have paid £100+.

I used to go to more gigs on a whim, but now when old or bands I've seen before are towards £50 a pop I tend to not bother. I think the lockdown cured my FOMO.

5 minutes ago, 1986 said:

If one of your big time faves is doing stadiums across Europe and you're facing spending £100+ for a shit seat at Wembley, take a look at some of the venues they're playing in other countries. It can sometimes surprise you the disparity in the venue capacity and for the same money you can get a ticket that's somewhat worth it.

To add to this. In some countries, standing crowds are far nicer than here. We wanted to see Dave Matthews a few years back but instead of paying out the ass for London we took a family weekend trip to Copenhagen and made a mini-holiday out of it. 

The Danes are so polite that one of us could walk out from standing 3 rows back from the front, get some beers and walk them back in without a single issue. Maybe DMB fans are also a factor but that positive vibe really added to the night.

• Upvote 1

Most I’ve paid was £174 for a really good seat at Madonna’s Confessions tour, got on the front of the catwalk and she came right up to me and held the mic out for me to sing with her!  Definitely one of her best tours and an amazing view.  I’m not sure I’ll ever get that close to her again, probably not going to pay £400+ to get a similarly good seat.

Edited by Pipine

24 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I'm lucky enough to have seen them at least 4 times. 1st time was at MK Bowl in 1995 and that was also a pretty dream line up of Sleeper, Radiohead, The Cranberries and then REM. A great day. 

Think I paid round about £110 for Pearl Jam at BST, it was the Amex garden party thing which was only about £20 more expensive than general admission so we thought why not. A lot of fun in the end and easy access to toilets and booze. 

I imagine if Taylor ever tours here then that will be the most I’ll pay. 

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

Will never admit to anyone how much I paid (especially Mrs b 😬), but I did pay a lot to see Led Zeppelin's O2 show, having missed out via the ballot. No regrets though, that was an almighty bucket list event for me, and probably the only opportunity for me to see them. 

I'd say this is one of very, very few shows in this thread that is worthy of whatever cost you paid. That is a literal 'never-again' show.

Never paid over 100 for a single gig but I would. I reckon the first time will be Taylor next year hopefully. Gig prices are obviously insane now but it’s hard not to just pay up when it seems like a once in a lifetime (ish) thing. 

When me and my mates were 19 in 2015 Fleetwood Mac played glasgow and we all went even tho it was extortionate as it was a now or never thing. 60 quid for the worst seats. Seems not too expensive now 

44 minutes ago, 1986 said:

A rather privileged tip for you all.

Example when I went to see Fleetwood in Berlin we saw them at the Waldbuhne which is a massive amphitheatre but the capacity is about 23,000 people so for £150 we got an amazing view closer than half way in an amazing outdoor setting (it did rain, but no one cared). On the same tour at Wembley that £150 would have been a much worse experience (not sure if that was the "behind the stage" level but wasn't much better if not).

Of course to do this you have to make the whole gig into a holiday which adds up to more, but if you get to see a new city and you can afford to do it then it's an amazing thing to do.

Yep if you can find somewhere you wanted to go as well. I believe Poland is pretty good for ticket prices. 

I also recall Simon Calder giving this as a tip if you ever want to travel first class he said fly to Spain as an example and the chances are you can get a first class flight about a third cheaper from there. Not a tip I've ever had the opportunity to use yet but might be useful to someone if you were ever planning something for a very special occasion. 

• Upvote 1

I think it has to be 2 of the 2022 concerts, which I'm pretty sure both came in around £95, Coldplay standing and Rammstein Firezone. 

AFAIK I have not yet paid over £100 for a single show. Even things like Summertime Ball and other one day festivals come in at less than £100!!!

And I got Camp Bestival for free through a mutual supplier's allocation 🙂 (Hoping to get a few more fests this year too. 😉 ) 

Edited by Alvoram