The most you’ve ever paid for a gig?

Hugh Jass II

Some interesting chat on the headliners thread about pricing for the Madonna gigs and didn’t want to derail the thread, but what is the most people have ever paid for a single gig?

These days to see anyone big you’ll be looking at 100 sheets but I remember in 2001 when I was 19 paying a tout about £150 to see Oasis at Manchester Apollo. Makes me wince just thinking about it.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Some interesting chat on the headliners thread about pricing for the Madonna gigs and didn’t want to derail the thread, but what is the most people have ever paid for a single gig?

These days to see anyone big you’ll be looking at 100 sheets but I remember in 2001 when I was 19 paying a tout about £150 to see Oasis at Manchester Apollo. Makes me wince just thinking about it.

£259 in todays money with inflation! Tbh, if there was a reunion I'd pay that.

Most I've gone is £120 for the Rolling Stones last year at Hyde Park. 

Record was Fleetwood Mac in Berlin at around £150 in June 2019, not counting the holiday it turned into to go there. 

Record smashed by this summers Springsteen BST Golden Circle tickets at a completely reasonable £200 each. 

The occasional person I read on here who says Glasto isn't good value is very silly.

About £60+ for a Paolo Nutini arena gig this year. I don't go to many arena shows anymore I can't remember the last Stadium gig I went to. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices, it means I've missed out on gigs I'd love to go to (Stones recently, Springsteen and Blur this year) but add on travel costs, probable need for accommodation and it's just nuts.

I understand that with streaming paying a pittance and physical sales not being huge, touring is the only way acts can make serious money these days but prices like those Madonna ones are greed, pure and simple greed.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Will never admit to anyone how much I paid (especially Mrs b 😬), but I did pay a lot to see Led Zeppelin's O2 show, having missed out via the ballot. No regrets though, that was an almighty bucket list event for me, and probably the only opportunity for me to see them. 

Worth every penny if you enjoyed it! 

Edited by nikkic

£100-ish for Springsteen and Blur this summer. Not something I want to get in the habit of!

It wasn't even so long ago that breaking the £30 barrier felt significant. Now you have bands like Flaming Lips and Suede charging £50+ with no hesitation. Hell, I paid £40 for a Turnstile ticket a few weeks ago! That must be the most expensive hardcore gig of all time....

100 for Tool last year but I also paid 40 to be in their fan club for first access to tickets. So 140 but two of us went which halves the cost of the 40? I dunno. 

Worth every penny at the time to get 5th row. Wouldn't bother again having done it once as you miss so much of the visual show being that close. Will still pay whatever when they tour again but that's only because they're personal favourites. 

Not sure TBH, but I think it was probably the £25 I paid to see Ozric Tentacles and Gong last year, which is the same as I paid for Glastonbury 1985.

Other than that, £14 Stone Roses at Spike Island, £9 Queen in 1982, £10 David Bowie 1983, £11 Bob Dylan Newcastle 1984

23 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Will never admit to anyone how much I paid (especially Mrs b 😬), but I did pay a lot to see Led Zeppelin's O2 show, having missed out via the ballot. No regrets though, that was an almighty bucket list event for me, and probably the only opportunity for me to see them. 

Yes, I paid a whole quid to see Led Zeppelin 

26EE2A9F-8E9B-428E-8A0A-3F1B3E635152.thumb.jpeg.78afa34ba76ba8f75e4d99c2a6c472ab.jpeg

• Upvote 8

25 minutes ago, henry bear said:

My mate missed out in the ballot but was offered a ticket for £1000. He turned it down thinking they would go on to do some sort of tour and now its one of his biggest regrets...