Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

The issue I have with them is I can’t believe for a second it will be treated like any other gig to them .

will be a paint by numbers guns n roses performance with axl sounding awful 

Yeah that’s a worry. Download felt pretty special but I guess they’d make a bigger deal out of that. 

Confident Axl will sound fine but meh I’ll be too drunk to really care by that point. 

It’s absolutely mental that anyone who has been before even cares who is booked for the Pyramid, I’m happy to be drawn there by a mega act like Macca or Elton, but I’m genuinely happier when there is an act on I have no interest in.

Don't like G&R? Congratulations, you have the freedom of the best festival in the world!

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There’s way more to a strong trio than just getting three successful names together. It’s about diversity and representing different types of music. Of course people who absolutely love rock and rock only will like it. This trio will mean nothing to many attendees. Not a strong trio for a festival of contemporary performing arts.

It feels like Glasto chat booked this.

It’s one Indie/Lounge Jazz act, one proper Rock act, and a pop act. It’s a huge trio, and I emphasise this next word, objectively speaking.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Armourman said:

I cant get my head round GNR playing Hyde Park week after GF as a good booking for either party. Not even sure HP has sold out.  Coming on and doing an hour or so long legends slot would be grand mind you...

Hp not selling out yet isn't that surprising given they did 2 nights at Tottenham last summer

16 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

For this forum, it's a stinker of a trio.

I think most people here are really excited by Elton. For me, he's one of the few absolute must see acts, and for him to finish his final UK tour at the Pyramid makes for something truly special. AM are a respectable booking, if a little pedestrian, and god knows what they were thinking booking GnR. But one bad apple doesn't make a trio stinker.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It’s no better or worse a booking than Metallica and has the similar benefit of not being an act that have played at all before.

Also, a (treads gingerly through minefield of genre classifications) heavy rock headliner. Something they haven’t had a lot of, and could do with more of.

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Reminds me a little of 2009. Objectively a huge set of headliners, but not particularly well balanced, leaning towards older artists past their best.

But as Michael said at the time, it's not like they can book whoever they want whenever they want. If Elton/Springsteen is willing to play that year, then that's when they play.  There's not exactly a huge pool of headline level acts who haven't recently played, are in a position to play and are willing to play in any given year.

The biggest outlier in that comparison is GnR.  To a greater or lesser degree the others were / are continuously releasing material leading up to the headline slot, even if they aren't setting the world alight in the way that older material was. Taking the number of studio albums released in the 10 years before they appeared at Glastonbury:

Neil Young - 7 
Bruce Springsteen - 5
Elton John - 4
GnR - 0

Edited - Chinese Democracy was 2008. So GnR in any of their guises haven't released any new material for 14 years.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

LOL, nobody actually does this do they?

That said, if you’re returning your ticket due to a Pyramid headliner the logical conclusion is you spend your whole time at the Pyramid, so in reality you’ll be doing everyone a favour by putting it back in the pot, so it’s all good and the booking has done more than one person a favour.

Not necessarily - I've been part of the "headliners don't matter" crowd in the past but with the price hike this year I can't justify it any more unless there's at least one headliner I want to see. If it were Taylor instead of Elton my ticket would be going back too. Too much of the rest of the Glastonbury experience can be had elsewhere for a lot less money. 

5 minutes ago, Armourman said:

I cant get my head round GNR playing Hyde Park week after GF as a good booking for either party. Not even sure HP has sold out.  Coming on and doing an hour or so long legends slot would be grand mind you...

The TV coverage will in theory give sales a boost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The biggest outlier in that comparison is GnR.  To a greater or lesser degree the others were / are continuously releasing material leading up to the headline slot, even if they aren't setting the world alight in the way that older material was. Taking the number of studio albums released in the 10 years before they appeared at Glastonbury:

Neil Young - 7 
Bruce Springsteen - 5
Elton John - 4
GnR - 1

I didn’t even know they’d done 1.

Its a fair comparison though, in that it’s very likely all are ‘now or never’ sorts of bookings

There’s also the possibility-though none of us want to face up to it in the excitement-that Elton could be shit. It pisses it down, he has technical issues and starts swearing at people, his voice starts to give out, he remembers why he avoided it for so many years, etc.

4 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

It’s absolutely mental that anyone who has been before even cares who is booked for the Pyramid, I’m happy to be drawn there by a mega act like Macca or Elton, but I’m genuinely happier when there is an act on I have no interest in.

Don't like G&R? Congratulations, you have the freedom of the best festival in the world!

Why wouldn't you care who's booked for the Pyramid? I spend a lot of time at other stages and watching other headliners, but the Pyramid is unquestionably the focal point of the festival, and when an act gets it right there's no better spectacle. 

Make the most of the other stages and feel no need to visit the Pyramid by all means, as many people do, but the whole "too cool to even notice the Pyramid stage" schtick is a bit silly.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

I didn’t even know they’d done 1.

Its a fair comparison though, in that it’s very likely all are ‘now or never’ sorts of bookings

Actually they hadn't. Chinese Democracy was 2008, my bad. Will update!

29 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I honestly think guns n roses will go down as the worst booking Glastonbury have made as a headliner , will be anywhere but the pyramid 

Rod Stewart? Mumfords? Getting the Who to cancel a gig in Paris to come back and be even worse than their first go? Oasis 2004? 

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Why wouldn't you care who's booked for the Pyramid? I spend a lot of time at other stages and watching other headliners, but the Pyramid is unquestionably the focal point of the festival, and when an act gets it right there's no better spectacle. 

Make the most of the other stages and feel no need to visit the Pyramid by all means, as many people do, but the whole "too cool to even notice the Pyramid stage" schtick is a bit silly.

Because there are four other main stages (and let’s not get into all the other smaller ones) which means if you spend three nights at the Pyramid that’s 12 other headliners you’re missing out on.

I’m not saying I’m too cool for the pyramid, I’m saying I welcome the opportunity to see a headliner at one of the many other stages, if you’re getting bent out of shape about GnR being booked then frankly the festival is wasted on you.

If anybody actively wants to spend three nights at the Pyramid, then you do you.

Edited by Jose Pose