Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

As @Matt42 points out there have now been lots of non music things on the Pyramid (Corbyn?) - but actually Bill Bailey would be easily capable of creating a show structured around music as well as comedy.

Yeah I don't disagree, and at this point we'd already had an opera on there, but that was Eavis' opinion at the time. Not just as headliners but at any point - no comedy on the Pyramid. 

Just now, DeanoL said:

Yeah I don't disagree, and at this point we'd already had an opera on there, but that was Eavis' opinion at the time. Not just as headliners but at any point - no comedy on the Pyramid. 

I did refer to Corbyn 😛  But lots of comedic musical acts have definitely been on - would Spinal Tap count?  Not so funny now, but Ralf Harris?  

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

I did refer to Corbyn 😛  

h's losing his red rosette so will be interesting to see what happens, i read that people are refusing to be the replacement labour candidate cos they don't want to go up against jez. cos everyone thinks jez will stand as an independent candidate, because  his vanity says no one can replace him.

Edited by Neil

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

h's losing his red rosette so will be interesting to see what happens, i read that people are refusing to be the replacement labour candidate cos they don't want to go up against jez. cos everyone thinks jez will stand as an independent candidate, because  his vanity says no one can replace him.

Maybe he's realised Labour are shit? 😛 Or he's so Labour (still) that he thinks winning is the most important thing? 😛 Oh Neil.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The recent surge in Britpop revivals makes you wonder if the Gallaghers are watching with interest.

Maybe calculating the minimum time they'd have to spend together versus the potential payday.

Not for a good few years I don't think. Liam is probably content with selling out Knebworth, headlining every festival he plays, and scoring consecutive number one albums as it stands.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Think people will be disappointed. Can’t see Glasto booking them really.

They've booked the likes of Biffy and BMTH who are sort of in a similar bracket to them. If GNR are one of the headliners I can't think of many other acts who would be a suitable sub at Glastonbury.

16 minutes ago, VCK said:

Not for a good few years I don't think. Liam is probably content with selling out Knebworth, headlining every festival he plays, and scoring consecutive number one albums as it stands.

Noels just lining up a new album too which probably means the next two years are sewn up for him.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think there's a difference between doing a 5-10 minute speech in between acts, especially as they're always individuals who fit in with the festival's ethos - Corbs, Attenborough, Greta, the Dalai Lama, etc - and an hour of standup in place of a musical act.

Great felt like it was as long as a headline set, she just kept going on.

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

I did refer to Corbyn 😛  But lots of comedic musical acts have definitely been on - would Spinal Tap count?  Not so funny now, but Ralf Harris?  

There's a difference between comedy music acts and musical comedy acts though. Spinal Tap would work, as would Tim Minchin, as they mostly play songs. Bill Bailey uses music in his comedy but doesn't have many actual "songs" as such. His comedy is more about how music works. He's fairly unique in that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Re Blur other than the fact its billed as only UK performance you’d have to think that both the band and glasto would rightly come to the conclusion of “been there done that” and just leave it in the past.

its also very blatantly a payday only

Yea their day has come and gone.

Only had a couple of decent tunes anyway.

Gorillaz are 100 times better.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

There's a difference between comedy music acts and musical comedy acts though. Spinal Tap would work, as would Tim Minchin, as they mostly play songs. Bill Bailey uses music in his comedy but doesn't have many actual "songs" as such. His comedy is more about how music works. He's fairly unique in that.

Not as headliner obviously but Tim Minchin could definitely do an earlier in the day slot although he is moving away from comedy songs now and I think his comedy songs would go down better with a festival audience. 

4 hours ago, leath02 said:

I feel like @kalifire was ranking in personal preference more than anything else?

You’re right. Sorry, that wasn’t clear. Would be more interesting to do an order of perceived likelihood though. In that case, I’d order them:

AM
Elton John
Eminem
GnR
Rihanna
Harry Styles

2 hours ago, VCK said:

They've booked the likes of Biffy and BMTH who are sort of in a similar bracket to them. If GNR are one of the headliners I can't think of many other acts who would be a suitable sub at Glastonbury.

I’ve often wondered why they haven’t before, I don’t think they would be an unusual booking whatsoever? They certainly won’t headline but sub or Other headline would feel very reasonable? I’m praying! 

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

You've just triggered a memory of seeing them on the Pyramid in 2009. That was a right laugh! 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Not as headliner obviously but Tim Minchin could definitely do an earlier in the day slot although he is moving away from comedy songs now and I think his comedy songs would go down better with a festival audience. 

he's quit the uk for the usa cos he didn't like fame, cos of that i couldn't see him taking a high profile booking like Glastonbury.

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Yea their day has come and gone.

Only had a couple of decent tunes anyway.

Gorillaz are 100 times better.

In terms of Glastonbury, Blur are 100 times better than Gorillaz.

Blur 2009 was one of the all time greatest sets on the Pyramid. Gorillaz stank the place out in 2010 and had lost half the crowd by the end. 

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

he's quit the uk for the usa cos he didn't like fame, cos of that i couldn't see him taking a high profile booking like Glastonbury.

He doesn't like living with the fame in the UK. He does like doing the gigs. He's played here several times since he left the UK so I think if it coincided with him being over here anyway he'd probably be happy to do it. I think he just prefers the relative anonymity of family life in Australia.