Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

35 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

doing some eco friendly tour so the routing is very deliberate, a fly back to glastonbury to go back on the tour seems to go quite against the direction they're taking 

He loves glasto and hasn't been for 4 years come 2023 - could definitely just do it anyway

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

He loves glasto and hasn't been for 4 years come 2023 - could definitely just do it anyway

I'm just pointing out their commitment to this eco friendly tour and popping out to do Glastonbury goes against that. They've been marketing it quite heavily so leaving themselves open to this criticism seems quite stupid.

On 11/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, Matt42 said:

At what point do we seriously have to discuss that Peter Kay has got the pull to headline the pyramid… first comedian to headline Glastonbury? It’s a festival of performing arts and surely that comes under it..

(I’m semi trolling but factually I’m not wrong).

Peter Kay is too working class for Glastonbury.

Also famously the biggest penny-pincher with the strongest nose for a quid in the world, he wouldn't do it as the fee isn't high enough.

Edited by Isaact

7 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I'm just pointing out their commitment to this eco friendly tour and popping out to do Glastonbury goes against that. They've been marketing it quite heavily so leaving themselves open to this criticism seems quite stupid.

Not really, wouldn't be the entire setup for one thing... But their travel policy clearly states they'll need to fly, and will pay a surcharge for some special fuel when they do... 

Although the tour has been carefully routed and pre-planned to minimise air travel, some flying is unavoidable. The band will mostly fly on commercial flights, but there will inevitably be occasions when charter flights are required for band, crew and equipment.

For all flights, commercial and charter, we will pay a surcharge to use or supply Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF), either for our own use or for others’. Our partner Neste will supply us with Sustainable Aviation Fuel  produced 100% from waste and residues, such as used cooking oil from restaurants. When used unblended with fossil jet fuel, SAF helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions of air travel by up to 80% over the entire life cycle compared to the conventional fossil jet fuel that it replaces.

Wherever possible, we will use electric vehicles or biofuel for ground freight and transportation.

I don't think they'll be there though, honestly. Not sure you'll see Chris at Glasto again since he very publicly stated how the online comments regarding him popping up in 2019 hurt his feelings.

Although, even when making those comments he did say he decided to take a few years out rather than stay away forever. So... Never say never... 

When asked by Colin Paterson of BBC Breakfast and Radio 5 Live if he or Coldplay will perform at the festival in 2020, Chris Martin simply said, "No." Pressed for an explanation, Chris Martin continued: "I did pop up on stage last year and I loved doing so. Then I saw a tweet afterwards which said 'you can always rely on him to come on in a tracksuit and ruin everything'.

"So I was like, you know what, a) I should work on my trousers, and b) I shouldn't be online, and c) maybe just go and watch Glastonbury for a year or so." Asked if the tweet affected him, he replied: "Sometimes these things hurt me because I'm human."

23 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Not really, wouldn't be the entire setup for one thing... But their travel policy clearly states they'll need to fly, and will pay a surcharge for some special fuel when they do... 

I don't think they'll be there though, honestly. Not sure you'll see Chris at Glasto again since he very publicly stated how the online comments regarding him popping up in 2019 hurt his feelings.

Although, even when making those comments he did say he decided to take a few years out rather than stay away forever. So... Never say never... 

To be fair to the tweeter, he literally turned up and turned one of Kyle's most danceable, fun songs into some shitty acoustic campfire youth hostel w*nk fest.

He was the worst part of 2019 for me, what an absolutely fucking terrible decision to have him come on for that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Isaact said:

To be fair to the tweeter, he literally turned up and turned one of Kyle's most danceable, fun songs into some shitty acoustic campfire youth hostel w*nk fest.

He was the worst part of 2019 for me, what an absolutely fucking terrible decision to have him come on for that.

Oh I wasn't there, I wasn't making any comment as to whether the tweet was uncalled for or not. Just that it upset him. 

I'll take your word for it though, as whenever I have seen him collab live, it's been a shit show... See my report from this year's tour for example. Everything was incredible until he bought the guest out!

17 hours ago, stuie said:

In terms of Glastonbury, Blur are 100 times better than Gorillaz.

Blur 2009 was one of the all time greatest sets on the Pyramid. Gorillaz stank the place out in 2010 and had lost half the crowd by the end. 

What is the general consesus as to why Gorillaz set went so badly? Have seen it mentioned a few times as an all time worst headline

As a contrast, I've seen them three times at varying size venues (Brixton O2, Bilbao BBK, Greenwich O2) and they've been sensational every time, so find it kind of baffling 

2 minutes ago, leath02 said:

What is the general consesus as to why Gorillaz set went so badly? Have seen it mentioned a few times as an all time worst headline

As a contrast, I've seen them three times at varying size venues (Brixton O2, Bilbao BBK, Greenwich O2) and they've been sensational every time, so find it kind of baffling 

Whole performance felt disjointed and flat (in fairness they did not have long to pull a set together). They played loads of Plastic Beach stuff early on (which hadn't long come out IIRC) that people weren't familiar with. By the time they got round to the stuff people knew they'd already lost a lot of people.

8 minutes ago, leath02 said:

For one, a lot of U2 fans had been promised U2 and let down just before the festival. But they played almost their entire new album which had been out for literally 3 months at that point, at the time Plastic Beach didn't move mountains, it's one of those albums that's matured with time and is now often cited as their best, or one of. 

It was only their third album, too. They could have dug out a few more tracks from the self titled but it wouldn't have made much of a dent. Just absolutely not the band that should have played that slot, and I'm a fan.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Whole performance felt disjointed and flat (in fairness they did not have long to pull a set together). They played loads of Plastic Beach stuff early on (which hadn't long come out IIRC) that people weren't familiar with. By the time they got round to the stuff people knew they'd already lost a lot of people.

14 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

For one, a lot of U2 fans had been promised U2 and let down just before the festival. But they played almost their entire new album which had been out for literally 3 months at that point, at the time Plastic Beach didn't move mountains, it's one of those albums that's matured with time and is now often cited as their best, or one of. 

It was only their third album, too. They could have dug out a few more tracks from the self titled but it wouldn't have made much of a dent. Just absolutely not the band that should have played that slot, and I'm a fan.

Cheers for feedback, had a dig around online too. Seems it was just poorly prepared for / too quickly put together, and something that has impacted Damons performances going forward.

Doubtful they'd ever get a second bite at that cherry, but am sure they'd do a better job a second time around

Edited by leath02

What are people’s thoughts on the Eminem rumours? I don’t think the Eavii would go anywhere near him but seems he’d be almost a popular booking on here? Wasn’t there controversy over him writing lyrics about the Ariana Grande concert attack? His new stuff is rubbish and his old stuff was entertaining but hardly Glastonbury material. I’m just surprised it wasn’t one of those rumours that was quickly binned off on here. 
My prediction AM / Rihanna / Sir Elton 

18 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Would be up there on the most packed secret sets though, which I actually cba with. But you're right and I'd sooner have it than no blur at all. If it's not sold out it might be a good push for publicity two weeks prior if it's filmed (which I'm assuming it would be).

You can have a secret set on the Pyramid though. Libertines in 2015.

7 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

What are people’s thoughts on the Eminem rumours? I don’t think the Eavii would go anywhere near him but seems he’d be almost a popular booking on here? Wasn’t there controversy over him writing lyrics about the Ariana Grande concert attack? His new stuff is rubbish and his old stuff was entertaining but hardly Glastonbury material. I’m just surprised it wasn’t one of those rumours that was quickly binned off on here. 
My prediction AM / Rihanna / Sir Elton 

Why to both bold sections?

What exactly is "Glastonbury material"?  Over the decades there has been just about every type of music and opinion aired at Glastonbury. I'm not aware of any artists being blocked due to their material, although I doubt we'd ever hear if it had happened. Outside of extreme right wing bands I'm not sure there's much that would be deemed inappropriate.

Guns n Roses have been suggested as headliners, check this out:

Immigrants and faggots They make no sense to me They come to our country And think they'll do as they please Like start some mini-Iran Or spread some fucking disease And they talk so many goddamn ways It's all Greek to me

Lyrics from One in a million by GNR. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

If you find Eminem offensive, you never understood the message from the very beginning... 

Exactly.

It never ceases to amaze me now so many people, including serious and knowledgeable music fans with wide and varied tastes, fail to understand where Eminem is coming from. He even goes so far as to point out that he's only joking in some of his early material.

GnR shouldn’t be on the pyramid either and I believe that’s already been established in this forum? 
It’s not really that I find Eminem “offensive”. I was big fan of his when I was younger. I just find the whole thing of coming up with outrageous lyrics just to keep yourself in the limelight a bit weird. I don’t really consider him groundbreaking like Jay-Z, Kanye, Stormzy were at the time of their respective bookings and he’s literally years past his peak. Just doesn’t feel right to me but that’s my opinion and I am happy to consider the opinions of others. 

1 minute ago, 09matthewsw said:

I don’t really consider him groundbreaking like Jay-Z, Kanye, Stormzy were at the time of their respective bookings and he’s literally years past his peak.

Neither Jay-Z or Kanye were ground breaking at the time of their bookings, at least in terms of the music, maybe in terms of Glastonbury bookings.

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Really? Well, I for one couldn't give two hoots if they showed up. The day before yesterday's band. Overrated to the max. 

<Runs for cover>

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Neither Jay-Z or Kanye were ground breaking at the time of their bookings, at least in terms of the music, maybe in terms of Glastonbury bookings.

I am a fan of neither, but *seriously* ? They were both huge pre-Glasto.