2024 Headliners

14 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Have we ruled out Kylie now the headliner debate is wide open. 

I know she has done Legend but still clearly a main headliner tier act. 

I think headlining three festivals after doing the legend slot would be pretty poor.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Is there precedent for anyone doing a legend slot then coming back to top the bill?

Nope. Despite being crap - Diana Ross could have headlined in 2022 instead of the legend.

Most the acts that played are a bit cheesy/ dated but are good performers as well to singalong to. People like Dolly, Lionel, Tom Jones.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It raises an interesting question, though. Is the Legend slot a veritable goodbye from the festival, or can an act survive to play again elsewhere? 

Depends on how its perceived. As this poster was going...

4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Nope. Despite being crap - Diana Ross could have headlined in 2022 instead of the legend.

Most the acts that played are a bit cheesy/ dated but are good performers as well to singalong to. People like Dolly, Lionel, Tom Jones.

... I interpreted it as almost like a throw-back slot rather than necessarily of being a window back to booking it as a headliner down the line.

Maybe that Padam song Kylie put out last year has lead to a new wave of hype, or maybe there's a sense of making up for having to cancel in 2005? I dunno. But I guess it feeds into the speculation we're all giving this one as we wait for something to finally be revealed.

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Is there precedent for anyone doing a legend slot then coming back to top the bill?

None whatsoever - in fact the only return of any description was Willie Nelson coming back for a daytime slot in 2010, after having done one of the early legend slots.

At a stretch you could also retcon Tom Jones 1992 appearance as "Legends Slot", in which case he came back to do it a second time. But really the slot wasn't yet a thing in 1992.

Edited by incident

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think headlining three festivals after doing the legend slot would be pretty poor.

For most other legends I'd agree  but Kylie is still a headliner sized act. 

I think she deserved as an individual as opposed to just an act that played the legend slot.

Basically if they were looking for a replacement headliner and Kylie name came up. I do not think the fact she had played the legend slot would be in the convo. 

I appreciate it's not something that has happened before but the data set it tiny so its dificult to call it a rule at this point.

Edited by Ben7amin_

39 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think she deserved as an individual as opposed to just an act that played the legend slot.

Basically if they were looking for a replacement headliner and Kylie name came up. I do not think the fact she had played the legend slot would be in the convo. 

I appreciate it's not something that has happened before but the data set it tiny so its dificult to call it a rule at this point.

And there is no pattern…

2 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

FWIW - The PSB were the best act  I’ve ever seen on The Other. Amazing sound and great crowd - I was 3/4 back and it was party central.

We had seen them a few weeks before so knew what to expect. They didn’t disappoint . Certainly was party time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Kylie should have headlined 2019. They didn’t need the Killers & they could have easily put Janet Jackson in the ‘legends’ slot. 

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Kylie should have headlined 2019. They didn’t need the Killers & they could have easily put Janet Jackson in the ‘legends’ slot. 

They were proved to have made the correct decisions though, no?

Killers produced an excellent show, Kylie got that massive crowd that she wouldn't have got if she was headlining, JJ produced a stinker.

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

But The Killers smashed it out of the park, Janet Jackson very much didn't, and Kylie in the late afternoon/early evening sun was an all time party vibe, so it would have been a massive net downgrade

EDIT

@Gnomicide beat me to it

Edited by waltere

12 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Kylie headlining with a full production/fireworks would have also been great. Certainly preferable to the Killers, but each to their own. 

Yes Janet was terrible, but on paper she could have been the ‘legend’.  

Kylie and The Killers owned that festival, so I’m glad we had them both! 

8 minutes ago, Drinky said:

If we had to choose a legend to have back (who was still alive), I’d go Lionel Richie. God damn that set was a party

Tough call that… for one to come back I can’t choose between Kylie and Lionel.  

What about legend that didn’t happen? That’s Tina for me, all day long. 

38 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Kylie headlining with a full production/fireworks would have also been great. Certainly preferable to the Killers, but each to their own. 

Yes Janet was terrible, but on paper she could have been the ‘legend’.  

Honestly can't see how Kylie would have been better as a headliner, even with the extra lighting/fireworks/whatever. That placement totally played to her strength as an adopted National Treasure.

Playing at 4pm, she got a huge crowd that were all willing her to succeed, and a 75 minute setlist which meant it was mostly cut down to just the biggest hits.

Playing at 10pm, She'd get a smaller crowd with much more expectancy  placed on it and a longer set so having to dive deeper into the back catalogue for less ubiquitous tracks.

Honestly believe that a headline slot would have become "just another show" by Glastonbury standards. Whereas playing the legends slot allowed it to be an all-timer.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

There's so many of them, unfortunately. I'd go for Meat Loaf for a big bombastic act, but also that John Denver would have been a great lower-key option.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

thats where I am ... Kylie wins it just 

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Totally agree with you. Was so lucky to have seen her in 1990 on the Foreign Affair tour at Woburn Abbey 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

FWIW - The PSB were the best act  I’ve ever seen on The Other. Amazing sound and great crowd - I was 3/4 back and it was party central.

We were a few rows from the front and had a blast too. Unexpectedly brilliant and a highlight of the weekend for sure. Full on 🪩 🕺