The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

4 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The Glade Dome disagrees.

Aye, after the heat on Saturday 2019 I wondered why I hadnt gone for respite at the Glade. We did Acoustic which was blissfully empty and cool but the acts were whack. Have memories of Oxfam volunteers pouring icy water over my head... 

Strummerville also good obvs but probs not where you ideally want to be during the day Fri - Sun

Newby to Glastonbury here....Need to invest in a pair of wellies or walking boots for next week... 

What do regulars recommend? I want to try to avoid wellies If I can as they won't be the comfiest to rave in!

However, if we are likely to have really mushy ground would you say wellies are a necessity or will walking boots do the trick?

Thanks!

Just now, frostie94 said:

Newby to Glastonbury here....Need to invest in a pair of wellies or walking boots for next week... 

What do regulars recommend? I want to try to avoid wellies If I can as they won't be the comfiest to rave in!

However, if we are likely to have really mushy ground would you say wellies are a necessity or will walking boots do the trick?

Thanks!

You won't need wellies. We're past that point. Merrells are a good pair of reasonably priced walking boots that you'll not need to break in.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It's strange, I don't remember any, or hardly any, rain during Cee Lo Green at WH. I remember having a great time and his costume malfunctioning, but nowt about any rain. But then, I don't remember any rain during Wu-Tang or BB King, or Metronomy in the early afternoon either.

I have 2 questions.  What were you on and where can I get it?

Mate, Cee Lo was f**king torrential and swirling gusts of wind!  I had a knee length poncho on and wellies and the rain managed to wet the arse of my shorts with it getting blown around.

1 minute ago, frostie94 said:

Thanks!

Justcalled may be right here - the current best guess (and it is still a guess at this stage) is that any mud will be shallow and short lived, so boots likely to be fine.  I like Hi-Tec hiking boots, but I've got stupid wide Hobbit feet.  The problem is you may need to break them in and with only a week to the festival, that means probably wearing them every day and if they rub, you start G with blisters = bad move.

Don't know your budget, but I have a pair of Muckboots which I've had now about 8 years.  They are wellies, but have cushioned soles and the upper is neoprene, not rubber.  Mine were comfy from day one and I walk miles in them every winter/occasionally at Glasto when required.

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I have 2 questions.  What were you on and where can I get it?

Mate, Cee Lo was f**king torrential and swirling gusts of wind!  I had a knee length poncho on and wellies and the rain managed to wet the arse of my shorts with it getting blown around.

Hmmm. This is puzzling 😅 I don't remember it raining for the life of me. I wasn't on anything at the time other than good vibes, but I don't remember rain or swirling gusts of rain. Maybe a bit of light drizzle? I'm trying to find now a video of the gig, because from what I remember, he came out in this ridiculous robot costume thing and I had a great time... 

I think though genuinely, as long as I'm enjoying the music, I don't think I give too much of a sh*t about the weather. A light drizzle is nothing if you've got the right clothing on. 

11 minutes ago, frostie94 said:

Thanks!

Boots need breaking in. 

Tinberland Nellie Chukka. Never given me a blister and they go with literally anything! 

(I believe a men's version is available) 

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Hmmm. This is puzzling 😅 I don't remember it raining for the life of me. I wasn't on anything at the time other than good vibes, but I don't remember rain or swirling gusts of rain. Maybe a bit of light drizzle? I'm trying to find now a video of the gig, because from what I remember, he came out in this ridiculous robot costume thing and I had a great time... 

I think though genuinely, as long as I'm enjoying the music, I don't think I give too much of a sh*t about the weather. A light drizzle is nothing if you've got the right clothing on. 

Wasn't it like a bright red samurai suit with massive spiked shoulder armour?

4 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

Was any body at Mary J blige in 2015? 

I was.  That was a powerhouse performance. 
I will always remember that show because during "no more drama" i got a text from a friend telling me that gay marriage had finally been legalized in the states. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Fair do, I thought you meant around where there are acts on.

There isnt anything anywhere when you want to watch an act. (Unless you are in a boiling hot tent)

Get yourself by a sound stage.  You can walk around it like a human sun dial as the day goes on.

16 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Get yourself by a sound stage.  You can walk around it like a human sun dial as the day goes on.

Ha ha!  That reminds me of our local festival last year (Farmer Phil's) which was I think the hottest weekend of the year.  I was mostly on my own for the weekend.  I'd get up when the tent got too hot (my F&B had had to be returned with faulty poles and the replacement came 4 hours after I went to the festival) then put my camping chair in the shade of my tent, moving every 20 minutes or so until the sun was overhead and there was no shade.  Then it was up to the bar in the wooded area. 

The main stage has one tree which had loads of people under it when the bands started.  Again, as the sun moved, the shade got bigger and bigger and spread out!