The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

7 hours ago, Sasperella2 said:

Now then, what's this old El Nino up to? Someone please give me my daily dose of weather science. 

El Nino is forecast to form in the pacific in the coming months (ending 3 years of La Nina conditions) which will doubtless raise global av temps as it always does (barring a volcanic eruption) but it's not a factor for UK weather predicting that I'm aware of.

There was a strong El Nino in 1998 that was dubbed 'the El Nino of the century' - glastonbury was a mudbath

5 hours ago, kerplunk said:

ending 3 years of La Nina conditions

Just seen an article claiming the recent Aussie bushfires were a considerable factor in La Nina for the last 3 years. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/11/black-summer-bushfires-may-have-caused-rare-triple-dip-la-nina-study-suggests

I can handle a bit of mud at a festival as a consequence of parts of the world not being on fire. 

On 5/9/2023 at 3:31 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

In the interests of efests and science here is a Dem … I wear 2 pairs of socks with the sealskinz on top and one pair should be absolutely sufficient . I’ve just removed the sealskinz and my other socks are bone dry 

Are these what I need @Crazyfool01

SEALSKINZ Unisex Waterproof All Weather Mid Length Sock https://amzn.eu/d/d3ndioK

I know this is not going to be popular and you can downvote all you like but I am currently praying for rain, having failed to get a ticket for the first time in 20+ years I think the best chance I have of getting a ticket next year is if this year is a washout, I don't join any of the groups who help each other, I'm a one person "group" who has in the past relied on my dedication to secure tickets.  It is now clear the system is basically a lottery so the only thing that is going to change the demand and therefore the odds of getting a ticket is the weather , the last few years have been good to excellent weather wise and so any newbies have been given a false sense of the festival, the reality is that there is a very good chance of wet weather leading up to the festival or even during the festival which, either way, can lead to a totally different experience to what they have have had in the last few years. I, and many old timers are quite willing to do the festival rain or shine , I suspect many of the new attendees would bail at the first sign of mud, despite their fashionable wellies. So it's a rain dance for me and if you are a true glastonbury goer you will still love it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 4

6 hours ago, gizmoman said:

I know this is not going to be popular and you can downvote all you like but I am currently praying for rain, having failed to get a ticket for the first time in 20+ years I think the best chance I have of getting a ticket next year is if this year is a washout, I don't join any of the groups who help each other, I'm a one person "group" who has in the past relied on my dedication to secure tickets.  It is now clear the system is basically a lottery so the only thing that is going to change the demand and therefore the odds of getting a ticket is the weather , the last few years have been good to excellent weather wise and so any newbies have been given a false sense of the festival, the reality is that there is a very good chance of wet weather leading up to the festival or even during the festival which, either way, can lead to a totally different experience to what they have have had in the last few years. I, and many old timers are quite willing to do the festival rain or shine , I suspect many of the new attendees would bail at the first sign of mud, despite their fashionable wellies. So it's a rain dance for me and if you are a true glastonbury goer you will still love it.

I can see where your coming from but the amount of people who spew it due to shitty weather this year will I think increase your ticket chances minimally. It's gonna be tough in October for 2024 tickets but the weather wont change anything odds wise.

I took two mates for the first time last year. They loved it. It meant two groups in the main sale for us and they got them and we didn't. (Luckily won tickets) never did I wish wet weather on them even though I was gutted. 

Might as well spread the love and hope for decent weather.

16 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Working away in Porto for 2 weeks and thank god. 

Why on earth is it 12c daily in middle of May?

This isn't the norm temp during May is it?

May always felt like one of the best weather months. 

Yeah it's taking a while to get going this year. May is consistently the best month here (Cumbria) pretty sunny, warm but not crazy temps, with July and August often washouts. (usually just as the school holidays are starting. Shouldn't laugh...). Anyway it's a lovely day today so think I might head up the Old Man of Coniston.

Enjoy Porto. Really liked it when I visited.

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah it's taking a while to get going this year. May is consistently the best month here (Cumbria) pretty sunny, warm but not crazy temps, with July and August often washouts. (usually just as the school holidays are starting. Shouldn't laugh...). Anyway it's a lovely day today so think I might head up the Old Man of Coniston.

Enjoy Porto. Really liked it when I visited.

What a bloody lovely Friday that is! - Be windy up there thought take a good jacket.

Porto is fantastics so far, loving the lunch breaks and evenings.

Seems to be a major that's not extortionate too. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The 2016 weather was a very isolated issue aswell. Lets not be so naive.

Rainfall has already passed the May average. Place could be a mudbath before the gates open. 

Its really worrying. 

The remainder of May is looking like it'll be dry so this months rain won't be an issue.

Outside of the next fortnight is anyone's guess so no need to worry yourself 

11 hours ago, gizmoman said:

zzzzzzzzzz such a boring narrative. 

My god the arrogance - Newbies are more than capable of surviving a wet festival - you're not special. You are a Glastonbury god, I suspect you struggle to open a PDF. 

Newbies of today are the veterans of the future.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

The remainder of May is looking like it'll be dry so this months rain won't be an issue.

Outside of the next fortnight is anyone's guess so no need to worry yourself 

I dont the Nal is worrying .... lapping it up more like 🙂