Predicted Glasto "Moments"

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

In terms of breakout memorable Glastonbury moments, a la Chic headlining in 2013, Lizzo 2019, what is everyone thinking about this weekend? There has been a couple of standout performances every year. I know it's fairly subjective, but there's always been a few moments/songs that have blown up outside of the main headliners.

Personally, I think when Sampa the Great brings out FEMALE, there's going to be a lotta lotta buzz on the Park. Sun, great setting, great beats, amazingly upbeat tempo. She a queeeeen!

What are your predictions for a song or moment that elevates somebody to the star of the festival? 

It's got to be Sam Fender I think. Riding the absolute crest of a wave, coming into his first Glastonbury and already a homegrown superstar. 

He'd of had a massive Other set, a la Lewis Capaldi, if it wasn't for the pandemic. But because that festival was scrapped he's now getting to go for the big one with full momentum. 

The crowd will be packed and will be belting out seventeen going under, he's big enough that even the picnic blanket lot will know him, and the BBC cameras will be there to capture every second of it. 

I think his set will be bigger for the TV/ iPlayer audience then any of the headliners come Monday morning. 

Edited by kemosabe
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, al_coholic said:

Not that we need another bloody moments thread creating but I don't get the Fender hype. He's just another fat tongue indie trash pop star. Nothing special at all. Where does the love come from. Seriously. And I am not even trolling this. 

Shots fired 🤯

34 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

It's got to be Sam Fender I think. Riding the absolute crest of a wave, coming into his first Glastonbury and already a homegrown superstar. 

He'd of had a massive Other set, a la Lewis Capaldi, if it wasn't for the pandemic. But because that festival was scrapped he's now getting to go for the big one with full momentum. 

The crowd will be packed and will be belting out seventeen going under, he's big enough that even the picnic blanket lot will know him, and the BBC cameras will be there to capture every second of it. 

I think his set will be bigger for the TV/ iPlayer audience then any of the headliners come Monday morning. 

Completely agree.  On the first night back after 3 years the crowd will be enormous and will be right up for it.   If he ends with Seventeen Going Under into Hypersonic Missiles like he has been on tour, it will go off big time.   No way I am missing it.

31 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Not that we need another bloody moments thread creating but I don't get the Fender hype. He's just another fat tongue indie trash pop star. Nothing special at all. Where does the love come from. Seriously. And I am not even trolling this. 

Agree with the fender hype, nothing special at all. He’ll get a huge crowd though. I’ll be at Jesus and Mary chain with a couple of hundred miserable bastards.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Agree with the fender hype, nothing special at all. He’ll get a huge crowd though. I’ll be at Jesus and Mary chain with a couple of hundred miserable bastards.

See you there!

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

i. People just like different stuff to you

ii. I do think he's filling a fairly empty niche these days. Not many of his generation are playing guitar based anthemic pop rock. RnB is the mainstream now, so guitar rock has been sidelined somewhat, but clearly there is still an enthusiastic young audience for it. There are some big singalong moments but also I think he is quite direct emotionally.

iii. I think he's great and am looking forward to his set immensely. Agree it will be a highlight.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, maelzoid said:

ii. I do think he's filling a fairly empty niche these days. Not many of his generation are playing guitar based anthemic pop rock. RnB is the mainstream now, so guitar rock has been sidelined somewhat, but clearly there is still an enthusiastic young audience for it. There are some big singalong moments but also I think he is quite direct emotionally.

iii. I think he's great and am looking forward to his set immensely. Agree it will be a highlight.

Couldn't of put it better myself, working class lad found by ben howards manager by chance in a pub in south shields. In a generation were everything on the radio is samples of old songs and drill rap music, Sam fender and his punchy emotive rock anthems stick out like a sore thumb. I for one think he could be the act of the week by a country mile.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Spot on. Saw him in Liverpool recently and was amazed by the intensity of the young crowd. Will undoubtedly be a highlight.

12 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I suspect Wet Leg will pull in an absolutely enormous crowd at The Park. Hard not to off the back of a number one album and constant Radio 1 airplay.

It’ll be comparable to Foals level. They ought to bump them up to JP or something. 

edit: except don’t because I want to see Confidence Man!

Edited by kalifire

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

It’ll be comparable to Foals level. They ought to bump them up to JP or something. 

I'd personally have given them an early Pyramid slot. I've always been a fan of emerging acts to get that kind of spotlight on the Pyramid. They seem to have done that with bands like Easy Life this year.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

This. CN Bandstand. 4pm - Wednesday.

If he doesn't play this at CN on the Wednesday I'm going to be chasing his sets around the festival for the rest of the week, The Gateway on Thursday and so on.

11 hours ago, al_coholic said:

Unlike the likes of The Wombats, The Kooks etc the boy actually has something to say. 

• Upvote 1