Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

1 hour ago, TheGChild said:

People giving a band their undivided attention and not sticking their tongue out and throwing up peace signs for gram selfies. 

Mobile phones. I know they’re useful for finding people, and there’s a lot to be said for having a really good camera in iour pocket, but (and I’m gonna sound like a pensioner here) people staring at their bloody phones while there’s actual things happening in front of them - good things, amazing things! - really grinds my gears 🤣 I’m guilty of it myself too, I was at the Vampire Weekend set in 2019 when the last of the sun was coming down, the music was coming to a crescendo and they set off all the ticker tape, right in the middle, but I was poncing around on Twitter like an idiot.
missed the actual scenes that were unfolding around me. Dick. 

Phones in pockets, stop filling every minute bit of time with input and just concentrate on what’s around! (I’m primarily talking to me but also to everyone else) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, TheGChild said:

People giving a band their undivided attention and not sticking their tongue out and throwing up peace signs for gram selfies. 

About a good 15 mins into Solange's set, two lasses on the pretence of making their way through the crowd decided to park themselves right in front of me & two younger girls & chatted non-stop through a set we'd been happily paying full attention to. After 10 mins of this Words Were Had.

10 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

What was the deal with the missing person pics?

Long time ago but def there in early 2000's....lots of pics of missing persons pasted up on the fence at entrances - I assume because GF could be a place such folks might head to or be recognised by other punters. I always found it very sad. 

3 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

The first 2/3 mins of that get close. It’s the actual fires that I remember, the smoke swirling in the dark, it was fabulous. Elfnsafety nowadays wouldn’t allow it. Should bring it back. 

Although I didn’t go pre-super fence that video really reminds me of my early years at Reading in the late 90s/early 2000s and my first few Glastonbury’s and it’s certainly something I miss now at modern festivals.

3 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Motorcyclists riding round selling acid.

*not something I witnessed, so open to being told this is a fable. 

not a fable, drugs were sold openly at glastos of the past.

3 hours ago, sedra said:

Shouts of Hash Brownies, ALAN! And sound systems in the car park from Bristol. 

the bristol sound systems used to get onto site, i've a memory of trying to sleep with the ground vibrating, (about 1987?)

5 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Beat me to it. I remember the pyramid field in 2009 for Neil Young, my first Glastonbury, it was like a mediaeval encampment. Amazing. 

People were lighting fires in the pyramid field during Radiohead in 2017, security weren’t happy about it though.