Wet Leg

MaxPower

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Just had a look at that video, tremendous. I think you're definitely on to something with this. I was at a gig and amongst the songs they played before the band came on, they played The Ting Tings and everyone went nuts. No-one has given The Ting Tings a 2nd thought for years 

Ah man, I used to love The Ting Tings 😂

"That's not my name" and "Shut up and let me go" will forever bang. 

Saw Wet Leg on Sunday, as part of the BBC Radio 6 festival. Witnessed a guy stood next to me get thrown out for groping girls in the crowd.

Wet Leg were pretty fun tho. Not sure I'd want to see a full set from them, but as a support they were good. Still don't think they are THAT good tho, and honestly Self Esteem (whom played afterwards) are MUCH better

19 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Just had a look at that video, tremendous. I think you're definitely on to something with this. I was at a gig and amongst the songs they played before the band came on, they played The Ting Tings and everyone went nuts. No-one has given The Ting Tings a 2nd thought for years 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60509221

26 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Bizarrely, the same thing (on a lesser scale)has happened with Black Box Recorder's 'Child Psychology'. The chorus is used in thousands and thousands of tiktoks by ver kids "Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it"

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Saw Wet Leg on Sunday, as part of the BBC Radio 6 festival. Witnessed a guy stood next to me get thrown out for groping girls in the crowd.

Wet Leg were pretty fun tho. Not sure I'd want to see a full set from them, but as a support they were good. Still don't think they are THAT good tho, and honestly Self Esteem (whom played afterwards) are MUCH better

I'd agree, saw them recently, some of the setlist sounded pretty substandard, but still hope to see them in June.

I’ve seen them twice at Brixton academy this year both times as support, they were fine and the couple of songs are very catchy but the rest seemed fairly standard, can’t see me rushing to seem them at Glasto but wouldn’t mind sitting at the back of the other having a beer if that’s where I found myself

Still don't think they are THAT good tho, and honestly Self Esteem (whom played afterwards) are MUCH better

I didn't hear any of her set, but heard her interview beforehand which seemed to be surprisingly candid and interesting, especially in this day and age.

That's because Self Esteem is legit the GOAT. If I was  betting woman and they give her the right stage etc I genuinely think she could be this years Lizzo moment. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

I was doing some digging on these the other day to help a mate out who's writing something for Friday, and I found this: 

Not relevant at all, but always fun to see the journeys bands have been on. 

Clearly a plant from the label to make them seem more organic

Quite like a few of their songs. They feel like a throwback to 10 years ago. I might see them at Glasto. They strike me as a band that gets very big very quickly and then disappear when they cant match the songs they got famous for. Hope i'm wrong actually and it's perhaps the fact im 35 now and 'dont get it'. we'll see.

30 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Quite like a few of their songs. They feel like a throwback to 10 years ago. I might see them at Glasto. They strike me as a band that gets very big very quickly and then disappear when they cant match the songs they got famous for. Hope i'm wrong actually and it's perhaps the fact im 35 now and 'dont get it'. we'll see.

Nah I think you’re right. They can’t possibly maintain the trajectory they’re currently on, and I think once the dust settles on this album and current touring cycle people will cool off on them a bit. I mean, they’re really not doing anything that new or special, and it’s certainly a bit of 00’s indie nostalgia that’s driven them this far. They just managed to pop up when there was fuck all of note happening in the U.K. music scene so everybody latched on to them as the next big thing. Reckon they’ll be yesterdays news come album #2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Some of you sound a bit po faced about it all.

Can't a band just appear and enjoy a bit of success and a laugh before their inevitable fall from grace and financial ruin is charted?

I wasn't trying to be.  Its the usual weird feeling when one goes and sees a band for a tenner in some small venue who are incredible on all fronts and never get beyond the small venue in their career compared to other acts that are a bit shoulder shruggy and go way further.

Its what makes us different and worth chatting shit about.  And completely unfathomable.

E.G.  Yard Act -  Would not cross the road for. Sleaford Mods - would cross the road for.  

28 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I wasn't trying to be.  Its the usual weird feeling when one goes and sees a band for a tenner in some small venue who are incredible on all fronts and never get beyond the small venue in their career compared to other acts that are a bit shoulder shruggy and go way further.

Its what makes us different and worth chatting shit about.  And completely unfathomable.

E.G.  Yard Act -  Would not cross the road for. Sleaford Mods - would cross the road for.  

He he, sorry you weren't even that po faced about it and yes I see what you mean.

They were fun last week here in LA at their tour finale. Although the concern for me is that theyre gaining an older fanbase as opposed to what should be younger. Dont know how long you can sustain attention from the 35 and up crowd after they see them a couple times and know what to expect. Theyll be a riot at Glasto and John Peel will prob be rammed

I’ve never really understood the industry plant criticism levelled at bands.

Isn’t the whole idea of a record label to promote and develop a band so that they become successful?  Not the band’s fault if they do so quicker than others.  I thought at least one of Wet Leg’s members has been active in the music scene for ages in any event. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

5 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I’ve never really understood the industry plant criticism levelled at bands.

Isn’t the whole idea of a record label to promote and develop a band so that they come successful?  Not the band’s fault if they do so quicker than others.  I thought at least one of Wet Leg’s members has been active in the music scene for ages in any event. 

Yeah its bonkers. 

Again this doesn't mean a lot but if anyone if interested Rhian has been been making music for years as Rhain: 

And I've posted one of Hester's previous bands above - she's been involved in a few projects as far as I'm aware. 

I'm pretty sure both were touring with/providing backing vocals for Plastic Mermaids just before Wet Leg, too. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

I've seen them a couple of times, both last summer.

The first was at Latitude and was before I'd heard anything from them (although everybody else had apparently heard Chaise Lounge!). They were the buzz-band of the weekend, so I went along early for their set in a little tent (with capacity further reduced due to covid) and was one of the lucky few to actually get inside. That was their second live set post-lockdown, after a warm-up on the IOW the previous night, and therefore the second time they ever played Chaise Longue live too. They were utterly joyous and were genuinely shocked on that occasion. The room seemed filled with other bands and music industry folk too, so something obviously seemed afoot very early on. Every tune seemed great to me and I had no idea which was the hit until everybody started singing along.

I was also lucky enough to see them again a couple of weeks later at Green Man, in the aforementioned joyous video. I'm actually in the video, next to the old dude having the time of his life! Again it was amazing and they still seemed shocked by their popularity.

Got a ticket for them at Scala in a few weeks, but a little worried that initial buzz may have worn off? It was the infectious joy and their happy-go-lucky vibe which was the real draw back then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHad said:

Got a ticket for them at Scala in a few weeks, but a little worried that initial buzz may have worn off? It was the infectious joy and their happy-go-lucky vibe which was the real draw back then.

This was stull very much my experience in Manchester a few weeks ago. The first few songs were a bit slow and they kinda plod their way into it, but once it got going it was bags of fun.