2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Fuck it, get Robbie on. He's made for the legend slot.

• Plenty of bangers
  • Opportunity for big name, best mate guests (Kylie, Adele)
  • Would go down an absolute storm
  • Is desperate to do it, probably for a reasonable fee

Now we’re talking. Have no idea if he’s around/likely but would be well up for Robbie.

Edited by DareToDibble

3 minutes ago, Jaykc82 said:

Hes playing in Norway on the Saturday but has the Sunday free

I can't see it happening. Would have to be a private jet late Saturday or early Sunday, both a serious issue if there's any unforeseen delays. And would the festival want to be seen doing that? I reckon he'd be a good booking so maybe 2024.

34 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

My Dad liked Buddy Holly but nobody in my family is into music like me. My Brothers were 12 and 10 years older than me and I picked up The Beatles and Bob Dylan from them. My older sister is 4 years older and she introduced me to some stuff as well but they all still listen to what they listened to when they were teenagers and music is not really a big part of their lives whereas I still live and breathe it. For someone with absolutely no musical talent myself I'm definitely the anomaly in my family. My eldest brother occasionally says and you still go to gigs. I couldn't think of anything worse. 

That does make me feel lucky to have been exposed to lots of stuff. My mum and uncle would tell tales of Chuck Berry playing with The Who (i think in support), but Teddy Boys were unhappy waiting and started pulling up seats shouting "we want Chuck"! 

Some years after 6music started I got into listening to it and it became a gateway into broadening my music, plus getting a feed of new tunes - I dread being one of those folks who thinks the only decent music is the period in your teens and twenties. 

20 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Now we’re talking. Have no idea if he’s around/likely but would be well up for Robbie.

Officially he’s an IOW exclusive, for whatever that counts, so if it was to be him we probably wouldn’t hear about it for a while yet.

If anything the longer we go without any concrete info the bigger his chances are.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Could Simply Red be in with a shout sometime?

Quick google tells me they were on the farm back in 1986 and they have a fair few bangers that would suit the legend slot. 

There are lots of acts that have had loads of hits, but that alone isn’t enough to elevate them to the revered Legend slot. They have to (ideally) be icons too, an act that are still famous (even though the hits have probably long dried up), and capable of filling the Pyramid field. Whilst Simply Red are long overdue a return to the farm, I’m not totally convinced it’d be in that slot, although I think more and more acts from the 80’s & 90’s will be wheeled on for it.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I can't see it happening. Would have to be a private jet late Saturday or early Sunday, both a serious issue if there's any unforeseen delays. And would the festival want to be seen doing that? I reckon he'd be a good booking so maybe 2024.

I appreciate the delay issue, but for all their green credentials it doesn’t seem the festival worry about that too much. They were happy to book Taylor Swift, and Springsteen would’ve used a private jet to appear for one song. 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

surely at some point Pet Shop boys should be in with a shout of Legends .... Although it would be hard to say now as they are pretty active and still headlining .... also think they said they like to play in the dark at some point . 

They played in the dark this year as Other Stage headliners.

22 minutes ago, sisco said:

Are Aerosmith touring again yet? They could slot into that spot as obviously weren’t a headliner or nothing booking 

Isn't Steven Tyler also still struggling with rehab after the pain meds relapse?

I'm imagining a conversation round the Worthy Farm breakfast table:

Emily: "So, who shall we book for the legend slot?"

Michael: "Can we have Roxy Music?"

EE: "Shut up Dad. I think we should book Robbie Williams."

ME: "But he's a massive c**t and his songs are shite!"

EE: "Yeah, but people will sing along - let's book him."

11 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

But they have December gigs in Las Vegas so he can’t be too bad? There’s got to be a decent chance they’ll be around next year.

As I said above, Joe Perry is touring in Europe with Hollywood Vampires over Glastonbury, so less than zero chance they’re playing.

https://www.hollywoodvampires.com

Edited by Jose Pose

16 hours ago, Memory Man said:

People under 30 basically are children and they are obviously not ever going to play glasto or play the legend slot but yeah

amazing how older ppl think younger people care about their bands. They simply dont.

Since when though? I'm 39 and I know The Beatles. I wasn't a fan, wasn't particularly into them, but could still sing you ten of their songs...

*My* generation of bands, as an oldie, is the bloody Arctic Monkeys, yet no one is saying they won't play because the kids don't care about them.

Are teenagers / early 20-somethings now more likely to know AM than The Beatles? Legit question, could indeed be the case, but I'd bet on it being the other way around.

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

My mothers favourite record is often voted one of the worst songs of all time. 

My mother’s fav was mother of mine by Neil Reid, a wee lad that won opportunity knocks,  absolutely awful to see his record in amongst my led zeppelin and black sabbath lps .  Pretty embarrassing for a teenage me when my pals saw it.