Campsite Poll

gfa

Campsites Poll  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your favourite area to camp at Glastonbury?

• Zone 1 (Central Campsites)
    • Zone 2 (South West Corner)
    • Zone 3 (North West Corner)
    • Zone 4 (John Peel Campsites)
    • Zone 5 (Pyramid Field)
    • Campervans
    • Worthy View
    • Staff Camping
    • Offsite/other?
  2. 2. Bonus Question - do you change campsites a lot or stick to one

• I stick to the same campsite generally
    • I have camped in a fair amount of different places

I was in the John Peel campsites last year. First time since 2016. Its great, quiet and easy to get to the gate to leave if you've got a coach. It is a mission of a walk to get anywhere that's not Woodsies/Pyramid/Other. My group were not up for the later night stuff last year, which made the walk back that much longer, 40 minute walk at 3am is not fun by yourself. 

I've camped in a few diff places. Behind the Park which is now off limits. Once a little further west in Paines Ground. Once in Kidney Mead almost exactly facing the Pyramid, which was nice to see the early bands on from my tent, albeit at a distance. Once in Baileys which is too far from anything, esp if you like the SEC... And once in Bushy Ground where there was a lovely little island with quick access into the Silver Hayes, which is unfortunately also now gone.

Out of all of them, I liked the Bushy Ground position the best because you were into the fest almost immediately which was nice, even if I was aiming for West Holts mostly each morning. Much prefer walking through other areas than through a sea of tents with nowt going on.

My fear is that this year there will be a f**k-tonne of competition from Coachers for this area:

image.png.124160b9741cadf0958c808048dde960.png

I think I'll be repeating the trek from PGA to Pennards on the Wednesday morning. Just about killed me last year (carrying two tents and all my stuff) but Pennards is just a great location for me. It's lovely to take a wander in the Park in the morning, perhaps relax on the hill for a bit, and to amble along the green fields. I find it makes a gentler start/end to each day, and the field itself has never struck me as uncomfortably lively. By the time I'm back at my tent I'm ready to pass out anyway.

Edited by kalifire

2 hours ago, cokebabies92 said:

Used to camp in Pennards but we are going to move to either of South park or Dairy Ground, mainly as the vibrating floor/noise caused by Arcadia is not sleepable according to my group. 

Does anyone know how quickly South park fills up?

I camped in South Park a very long time ago in 2011, we managed to get 30 of us in together at about lunchtime on the Wednesday, but it was completely full by the Weds evening......its possibly a bit more popular now but I think a few people discount it/don't know its there as its behind a hedge line.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I camped in South Park a very long time ago in 2011, we managed to get 30 of us in together at about lunchtime on the Wednesday, but it was completely full by the Weds evening......its possibly a bit more popular now but I think a few people discount it/don't know its there as its behind a hedge line.

Last there in 2014 - got to it about 8:20am and had the field practically to myself til about 9am!!  I think it had a loyal fan base who just took their time getting there. I do CV now but South Park would be my campsite of choice in a crisis. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I think I'll be repeating the trek from PGA to Pennards on the Wednesday morning. Just about killed me last year (carrying two tents and all my stuff) but Pennards is just a great location for me. It's lovely to take a wander in the Park in the morning, perhaps relax on the hill for a bit, and to amble along the green fields. I find it makes a gentler start/end to each day, and the field itself has never struck me as uncomfortably lively. By the time I'm back at my tent I'm ready to pass out anyway.

Every time i've walked through Pennards, i always think that it looks like hell to camp in. Couldn't do it at my age anymore i'm only 38.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Last there in 2014 - got to it about 8:20am and had the field practically to myself til about 9am!!  I think it had a loyal fan base who just took their time getting there. I do CV now but South Park would be my campsite of choice in a crisis. 

Its tucked away and a long trek from entry gates unless you come in via PGD but its quite close to Arcadia/The Park etc so not a bad location tbh.  Our usual one 'behind the park' has gone now so think we will go for Paines instead this year.

14 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I was in the John Peel campsites last year. First time since 2016. Its great, quiet and easy to get to the gate to leave if you've got a coach. It is a mission of a walk to get anywhere that's not Woodsies/Pyramid/Other. My group were not up for the later night stuff last year, which made the walk back that much longer, 40 minute walk at 3am is not fun by yourself. 

We were right up in Lime Kiln last year.  Quiet, plenty of space, but f**k me was it a long way from anywhere

I was by the Pyramid my first couple of years (Bottom Webb's Ash?), then we moved across to Bushy Ground and Rivermead. The last few years I've been in family camping in Wicket but no young 'uns coming with us this year so I'm looking elsewhere.

As nice as Bushy is, I don't really like the walk through Silver Hayes every day.

Thinking of heading to Lime Kiln/Hitchin Hill this year. The walk doesn't bother me too much as I won't be visiting the SE corner and tend to stay out all day anyway so I won't be taking too many trips back and forwards. I can see me spending a lot of time in Woodsies this year also so probably makes sense. Plus, the long drops by Woodsies are top tier.

Pennards again - come in through PGD so not too bad, and love proximity to stages, healing fields, railway line etc. Will be joining queue Tuesday night so should have no prob securing tent space for us but we've got a few joining later on the wednesday that may take some strategising

Pretty much have always camped in one of the central camp sites or south west camps (Pennards, Paines, Park and South Park).

Last year we got a space in Pennard as we arrived on the 6am Bath coach.  We're driving this year so most likely going to aim to arrive for Midnight and join the queue as early as possible to grab a spot in pennard again.

I've gotten too used to having a central camp site that isn't far from the areas I love.  While it can be a bit louder and more cramped than camp sites further out, it's a small price to pay for a shorter walk to and from the festival proper each day.

14 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've camped in a few diff places. Behind the Park which is now off limits. Once a little further west in Paines Ground. Once in Kidney Mead almost exactly facing the Pyramid, which was nice to see the early bands on from my tent, albeit at a distance. Once in Baileys which is too far from anything, esp if you like the SEC... And once in Bushy Ground where there was a lovely little island with quick access into the Silver Hayes, which is unfortunately also now gone.

Out of all of them, I liked the Bushy Ground position the best because you were into the fest almost immediately which was nice, even if I was aiming for West Holts mostly each morning. Much prefer walking through other areas than through a sea of tents with nowt going on.

My fear is that this year there will be a f**k-tonne of competition from Coachers for this area:

image.png.124160b9741cadf0958c808048dde960.png

I was in Bushy ground last year, near VG4. Loads of space and while it’s a long walk it is flat. I’m going to pitch there again but I’ll probably be disappointed by how busy it is. 

9 hours ago, kalifire said:

This^^ hopefully cross by the in the Q at the early hours of 5am like last year... Park Home for us, just a super location for both late night stops with SH becoming even more viable this year!

I always liked Bushy Ground. High, flat and always loads of room. Loos like we'll be in Darble this year as some of us are cycling and although want to camp with the rest of the gang, they want to be close to the showers. Anyone have any Darble experience? I assumed it gets full quickly as it is right by an entrance.

17 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I always liked Bushy Ground. High, flat and always loads of room. Loos like we'll be in Darble this year as some of us are cycling and although want to camp with the rest of the gang, they want to be close to the showers. Anyone have any Darble experience? I assumed it gets full quickly as it is right by an entrance.

I’ve camped in Darble three times, and you can rest easy, despite being the nearest to Gate A, it’s one of the last to fill up (and doesn’t really get really full). Think that’s down to it being so far out, and the furthest point to get to from the SE corner. It’s quiet, and suits me, but it’s not really a spot you want to pop back to during the day.

• Like 1

Loved camping in Hitchin Hill or Lime Kiln. One of the drawbacks of going with Oxfam is not being able to camp there anymore. I found the Oxfam field busier/noisier/further away/lacking the amazing view... 😥

Edited by Watergirl

On 1/3/2022 at 1:11 AM, Gnomicide said:

I think Bottom Webb's Ash is a great location, on the corner of the road to Pyramid, Other and JP stages. Close to Lulu's Cafe and tremendous longdrops at the entrance to The Woods.

Our group is large, getting us all in there would be a problem but in general, the rest of them prefer Paines' closer proximity to The Park, Arcadia/Pangea and (at a push) The SE corner.

Paines is fine, relatively quiet at night, not too far from Ped Gate D and I happily go along with that option to camp with friends.

Bottom Webbs Ash:

P1040869.thumb.JPG.fed4a76885ae9abd466e87b1fdf7e1dd.JPG

Paines (as seen from the Glastonbury sign):

Screenshot_20220103-010920_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f3a43a3eb15cdaf6d4daa8b3de80b653.jpg

I've also camped in Hawkswell (great view but too hilly):

P1050348.thumb.JPG.fb47fb59e7397a53445360db08a7a251.JPG

and Darble (very quiet but too far from everything):

IMGP2066.thumb.JPG.2f4f7b31719859ddd658f0559e5c127d.JPG

We're definitely neighbours, been camping here for about 10 years,  for all the same reasons,  plus the property lock ups right next to lulu's too are super handy! 

We used to camp around Dairy and Park Home. I really liked it there but the trek home got a little much over the years. Spent one year in Hitchen Hill, my least fav by a long stretch. I think we've also camped where Woodsies tent is now before it moved there. Done a year in each of the family camping fields - they're lovely. Current preferred spot is around Hawkwell. I like the option of listening to whoever's on the Pyramid when I'm back at the tent. Lying on my sleeping bag in 2014, a little wasted, as the rain pattered down on my tent and Robert Plant was on the Pyramid was just bliss.