Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Obituary in Camden last week.

supports weren't great.

first band were called Celestial Something-or-other - fair play they were just young lads and i can fully appreciate it must be exciting as hell to be supporting Obituary, but they just came over very amateurish, really need to ease off on all the "give it up for death metal yeah" stuff. felt a bit like watching kids playing at a school talent show.

best thing about their set was the smoke - i think whoever was in charge of the smoke machine must have been the same person who used to do it for Fields of the Nephilim back in the day!

next up were Conjurer -  they basically seemed to be doing what Anathema were doing (infinitely better) thirty years ago.

if i had paid a fiver to see both these bands in a pub i would have been more than happy.

Obituary were very good - not great, but very good. at some point in their set i had a very sobering thought - the last time i saw Obituary live was 31 years ago. i dont feel like any different of a person to last time i saw them... quite scary how fast time flies.

i was hoping for more from the first two albums but we only got a couple of tracks - fair enough they have a new album to sell and the new stuff is actually very good, so no bother.

the reason i havnt seen them in so long is because i really didnt like World Demise or The End Complete and lost interest after that but last couple of albums have been good.

also, and i dont know if this really happened or if it was just my messed up hearing playing up -but they seemed to turn the volume down when Obituary came on? just seemed weirdly quiet?

so, all in all a pleasant evening - not quite the great night i was hoping for but nice enough. 

Saturday saw Max Cooper at the Trinity in Bristol. 3 hour AV show, screens in front and behind him. Brilliant. Real build to the show taking us on a wonderful built journey through his work and others from ambient through to DnB. Really good night. Loved to hear higher state of Consciousness mixed in. Finishes his show, takes the love from the crowd, goes back behind his desk and pumps out Prodigy- Breathe, place goes nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Saw Young Fathers last night, just incredible, such an intense live presence! 

Yeah, I was there too. Really like the new album and it comes over great live. It’ll be interesting where they get billed at Glasto. Would be great late on on either the Park or WH but could equally see them in JP or on Other. 

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

I know a couple of folks who went and raved about it

8 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Really hoping they don't clash with anyone else I want to see at the farm as they are pretty high up my list to see this year. Love the new album. 

8 hours ago, t0paz said:

Yeah, I was there too. Really like the new album and it comes over great live. It’ll be interesting where they get billed at Glasto. Would be great late on on either the Park or WH but could equally see them in JP or on Other. 

I can’t speak highly enough about them, I’m sure wherever they play they will smash it!

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:34 PM, kalifire said:

In some capacity, I’m sure. I hope they become a Glastonbury staple. But their only new music since their last set will be an EP in April (they performed three songs from it tonight, and it sounds great). So I’m not sure there’ll be another full set but I’d be surprised if Kae didn’t pop up somewhere. 

I think they've been a Glastonbury staple for decades if you've spent any time at the Poetry and Words tent!

41 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think they've been a Glastonbury staple for decades if you've spent any time at the Poetry and Words tent!

Not as much time as I'd like! I always have intentions of hanging out there but end up getting distracted or things clash.

The times I have been there were wonderful. A proper little sanctuary within a sanctuary.

Saw Self Esteem last night in Manchester. I am a fully on boarded Steamer of many years now but her show gets slicker and slicker each time. She got an absolutely rapturous reception and seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the applause at times. It was hard for her to talk because of all the cheering/clapping etc. 

Felt like she has achieved a proper version of girl power in a way that the marketing team for the Spice Girls could only have dreamed of. All her backing singers/musicians seem to have a ball on stage and just genuinely seem to be loving what they are doing and love each other. A wonderful thing to be witness to. 

DF7ABEF7-75CC-4200-85C3-89FBCE9465A8.jpeg

B3F6ED15-B014-4D84-A7CE-E996FADEF3EF.jpeg

9DB6D93D-2675-46DF-B2DA-B7441E8D1A34.jpeg

• Like 1

Beans on Toast at Birkenhead Future Yard last night. Always a great night with Beans, the setlist was spot on and dare I say it, it was almost professional. 

Support was Tommy Arch, the Drummer from Holy Moly and The Crackers. Nice gravel voiced, almost bluesy stuff. Worth getting there early for.

20230301_223035.thumb.jpg.79215c92e2835e394b369c83014bbc6f.jpg

20230301_210603.thumb.jpg.c55a65c08d23771beb7dde0f1c21877d.jpg

20230301_200504.thumb.jpg.3e80cc39756b5e7025af365f0189a610.jpg

On 2/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, The Clearest Blue said:

Saw Young Fathers last night, just incredible, such an intense live presence! 

Aye. Magnificent in Glasgow. Also saw them a few years back in a tent and they’ve added a lot to their show since then. Think they’d lose a bit on an outdoor stage.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:55 AM, Gnomicide said:

Beans on Toast at Birkenhead Future Yard last night. Always a great night with Beans, the setlist was spot on and dare I say it, it was almost professional. 

Support was Tommy Arch, the Drummer from Holy Moly and The Crackers. Nice gravel voiced, almost bluesy stuff. Worth getting there early for.

20230301_223035.thumb.jpg.79215c92e2835e394b369c83014bbc6f.jpg

20230301_210603.thumb.jpg.c55a65c08d23771beb7dde0f1c21877d.jpg

20230301_200504.thumb.jpg.3e80cc39756b5e7025af365f0189a610.jpg

Just got back from seeing him in Lancaster. I know what you mean about his new found professionalism. I mean, not too professional like.

Good fun. Wasn't the fullest. Nice venue though, Kanteena. 

The Lathums at Liverpool Mountford Hall last night. Sounding really good with the new stuff going down a treat.

I had forgotten how annoying indie gigs are for people throwing beer about though.

20230306_213528.thumb.jpg.dbd4945022f63e490ba000c19e7235df.jpg

20230306_213541.thumb.jpg.55b965a663f445f7a6d36b239af5b466.jpg

20230306_214409.thumb.jpg.2b744a678fd526328b6a97e4fee4b19e.jpg

Support was from Dream Machine, alright but nothing to write home about. Most interesting thing was the singer's hair.

20230306_200531.thumb.jpg.ca88b2ef4a2b9bb798cfaa85380bfe0c.jpg

Suede in Guildford last night. My first time seeing them, and the energy onstage was incredible. Great setlist as well; we got 'Pantomime Horse' and 'Black Ice' which is one of my favourites off the new album. Brett doing 'The Wild Ones' on acoustic was really something. Praying for a slot on the Other 🙏

(Managed to get the last fast train back to London as well!)

20230307-084528.jpeg

• Like 1

Hundred Reasons and Hell is for Heroes at Hammersmith Apollo on Saturday night.

Both are still sounding fantastic live after all these years. Hell is for Heroes play with huge energy and really command the attention of the room.

Hundred Reasons have a new album out for the first time in a decade and although not so much my cup of tea these days compared to their first two albums, their sound has really grown with them, rather than trying to recreate past glories and thats going to win them a lot of new fans.

My Vitriol (remember them?) were also in support and fantastic. Although I'm fairly sure that they were reduced to playing through the stacks at the back, so that let them down a little bit as they play proper wall of sound stuff which deserves to be as loud possible through a full PA.

20230304_194122~3.JPG

20230304_204657~2.JPG

20230304_191026.JPG

Edited by Familiar2billions

Just on way home from young fathers in Manchester I'll not see a better live gig this year .

Just get to see them if you can absolutely brilliant 👏