Self Confirmed 2022

FloorFiller

On 2/3/2022 at 10:14 AM, the wonderwhy said:

In this case with Courtney Barnett, as she's been announced for all those other festivals on there for a while (I think), I imagine its just they were always going to include all her festival shows and just didn't think to take Glastonbury off. Probably happens fairly often - wasn't that how we found out about Aerosmith? 

Not sure where else to put this but Aerosmith’s slot was going to be after Diana Ross 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know the legend slot has only ever been a solo act thing (Jeff Lynne technicality aside) but I wonder if a band like Aerosmith would be considered for it. They've got the hits and the cheesiness factor for it and are obviously keen to play the festival. And with a dwindling pool to choose from, opening it up to bands may become a necessity. 

Edited by kingbadger

23 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

And with a dwindling pool to choose from, opening it up to bands may become a necessity. 

The pool isn't really dwindling, because people keep getting older and becoming more likely options.

10 years from now we'll be debating which of Bryan Adams or Robbie Williams will be doing it next.

Edited by incident

11 minutes ago, incident said:

The pool isn't really dwindling, because people keep getting older and becoming more likely options.

10 years from now we'll be debating which of Bryan Adams or Robbie Williams will be doing it next.

It’s not really a case of band v solo artist I’d say. That slot has become something of a cheesy, sometimes very camp, pop party. As long as an act can bring that vibe and a plethora of big crowd pleasing hits it won’t matter if they’re a band or solo artist.

I’ve long maintained Duran Duran would kill it for instance.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s not really a case of band v solo artist I’d say. That slot has become something of a cheesy, sometimes very camp, pop party. As long as an act can bring that vibe and a plethora of big crowd pleasing hits it won’t matter if they’re a band or solo artist.

I’ve long maintained Duran Duran would kill it for instance.

Duran Duran would be too good for the legend slot unfortunately. They fit the ethos but because it would actually be worth seeing they unfortunately don't make the cut

On 2/6/2022 at 4:05 AM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Hope to see Courtney Barnett clashes permitting.  Never seen her live before .

She’s been hit and miss for me. One year she played at Williams Green and the Pyramid. She was great on one but mashed out of her face on the other and the set suffered for it. Can’t remember which was which. I think she was great at WG. 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

She’s been hit and miss for me. One year she played at Williams Green and the Pyramid. She was great on one but mashed out of her face on the other and the set suffered for it. Can’t remember which was which. I think she was great at WG. 

Was she not a bit pissed on the Pyramid and then very pissed come Williams Green? Only caught her Pyramid set and it was a bit shakey, and iirc from the reception on here afterwards, the WG one was a bit of a disaster.

Dont blame her though - I’d be fucking shitting it being a small artist like her and having to open the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Was she not a bit pissed on the Pyramid and then very pissed come Williams Green? Only caught her Pyramid set and it was a bit shakey, and iirc from the reception on here afterwards, the WG one was a bit of a disaster.

Dont blame her though - I’d be fucking shitting it being a small artist like her and having to open the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. 

Yeah that’s probably right. Pyramid was huge for her (still would be) so she obviously took the edge off and didn’t stop! 

I saw her somewhere (I think supporting Nick Cave but can't really remember) and she was great. 

I do remember that Pyramid gig being very no point though. Mostly not great from her but I think also she just never should have been playing that slot in the first place. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

31 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I saw her somewhere (I think supporting Nick Cave but can't really remember) and she was great. 

I do remember that Pyramid gig being very no point though. Mostly not great from her but I think also she just never should have been playing that slot in the first place. 

Was that All Points East? Main stage had a run of Shame > Black LIps > Courtney Barnett > Patti Smith > Nick Cave.  If so then I too thought she was great there

On 2/4/2022 at 4:33 PM, FloorFiller said:

Nah Noel does just as many Oasis songs - about half his set usually, especially at festivals:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds/2019/valdebebas-ifema-madrid-spain-139e91cd.html

edit: well not half I suppose… but still a fair chunk 

That's not "the hits" though.  Little by Little? The Importance Of Being Idle?  Not exactly Supersonic are they?

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's not "the hits" though.  Little by Little? The Importance Of Being Idle?  Not exactly Supersonic are they?

IOBI is a pretty big one, one of the better additions to the later Oasis canon...

DLBIA is obviously the big one, but then you've also got The Masterplan, Wonderwall, Half The World Away, Talk Tonight... some massive Oasis tunes there.