2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

The founder of Glastonbury Festival has said he is hopeful some of the bands from the 2020 lineup will return to the bill next year - including "the big names".

In an interview with ITV News West Country, Michael Eavis said he hopes next year's festival will be the best yet after a two-year break due to the pandemic. 

The event - which sees almost 150,000 punters flock to Somerset - was cancelled in both 2020 and 2021.

It meant that despite being due to headline, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney did not make it to the Pyramid Stage.

But now Michael Eavis has revealed there will likely be at least some familiar names on Glastonbury Festival's 2022 lineup.

"We've got the big names coming back I think - the same bands that I think we had lined up three years ago, or hopefully, fingers crossed," he said.

"It's not all about the bands though, that's the thing. It's all the other stuff we do that makes the show work - it's why we're so successful I think."

Diana Ross was also due to perform the Sunday 'legends' slot in 2020 with other acts on the line-up including the Pet Shop Boys, Dua Lipa, AJ Tracey and many more.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-08-26/same-names-as-2020-lined-up-for-next-years-glastonbury-festival

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And we already know one of the big three isn’t.

Do we definitively know that, or is it educated guesswork?

I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but I can't be arsed to read it all.

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Billie is TBC, so for all three to come back they'd have to take a lower slot

Ah yeah I remember now.  And did Neil say that the Billie TBC was as a headliner, or have we made the assumption that's where she'll play?

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Scenes when Kendrick is the only carry over.

Billie - Kendrick - Reg

I do really really admire the holding on to hope for reg. it’s a great effort. If Michael isn’t confused I think that should surely rule him out right? Most of the big names for 2020 coming back, implying that some are not, we know Billie is in the mix for the Friday. If it was only one headliner returning + Diana Ross surely the wording would be different - it would be more like some of 2020 returning instead of “‘most” big names.

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do really really admire the holding on to hope for reg. it’s a great effort. If Michael isn’t confused I think that should surely rule him out right? Most of the big names for 2020 coming back, implying that some are not, we know Billie is in the mix for the Friday. If it was only one headliner returning + Diana Ross surely the wording would be different - it would be more like some of 2020 returning instead of “‘most” big names.

Surely if years of this forum have taught you nothing else it’s to take anything Michael says with an absolute lorry full of salt? We’ll see how it plays out over the coming months but it’s still all to play for IMO.

We’re all clinging on to what we want to see. My hopes for Kendrick and/or Reg are no different to your fixation on Swifty.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Billie Eilish

Paul McCartney

Taylor Swift

I know this is a big 3 but bloody hell I hate it.

Didn’t make it to a pyramid headliner 2019 so gonna have to go for Macca I guess, tho that will take some convincing in my group depending on who is on elsewhere.

Edited by MaxPower

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Most of the big names is a bit ambigious, considering Michael likes to peddle the 'subs who are headliners' line a lot. Headliners from pyramid, and other, pyramid subs, the legend slot, he'll even Aerosmith, could all be legitimate big names. 

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You mean afford? Wait til next year when Coachella has Taylor along with Rage Against The Machine.

I’m not sure it’s that much for a win as coachella has probably paid about $8 million a go for each of them. Whereas Glasto has paid… probably 60% of the fee of one of them!

28 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

This would be incredible. A lineup of headliners most festivals could only dream of.

Amongst a likely bunch of Diana Ross, QOTSA, Dua Lipa, Noel Gallagher, Aerosmith, Lorde, Pet Shop Boys etc.

No other festival can get that.

Edited by Matt42