2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Dave evidently fell for the fest hard — harder than expected, even — and his ongoing adoption as the natural successor to Macca's 'cringe but fun old rock dad' position

I was reading this not really concentrating and thought you were referring to Dave as in Santan Dave and was very confused about his new sound...

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Just seemed a bit phoned in from what I heard. Doesn’t he have a bit of a reputation for playing 1 hour sets too?

Everyone had waited for about half an hour before he came on too, which can;t have helped.

RE Foos: seems they are more focused on stadiums/arenas than festivals at this point - although I am sure they will be back eventually, they aren't getting smaller anytime soon. Real question is whether they decide to do Glasto/Download/Own festival first

That Reading set as well was unavailable to watch on iPlayer outside 1 or 2 tracks which really stood out because I was on there on a Monday and every other major set was there in full. Must have had that as part of his deal. Wonder if an eventual Glastonbury set will have something similar.

8 minutes ago, 1986 said:

That Reading set as well was unavailable to watch on iPlayer outside 1 or 2 tracks which really stood out because I was on there on a Monday and every other major set was there in full. Must have had that as part of his deal. Wonder if an eventual Glastonbury set will have something similar.

Why do some artists insist on this sort of thing? Is there something obvious I'm missing? 

The Stones did it as well when headlining Glastonbury didn't they? 

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Why do some artists insist on this sort of thing? Is there something obvious I'm missing? 

BS isn't it? Not going to say anything as presumptuous as "it's proof he wasn't good because he didn't want people to see." I just imagine he wanted extra pay for TV rights or something.

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

BS isn't it? Not going to say anything as presumptuous as "it's proof he wasn't good because he didn't want people to see." I just imagine he wanted extra pay for TV rights or something.

It does seem a bit illogical.

Surely the increased exposure from an incredible performance would generate enough money from purchased tickets to the next stadium tour regardless of what your upfront fee for TV rights is.

I suppose the flip side of that is if your performance is shite then you'd potentially lose any prospective ticket sales.

24 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Yes, Initially at least. I think that in their case it was partially about money but also about wanting to put on a show for the crowd rather than a TV audience. They relented when they realised how well it had gone and more tracks appeared on the next days coverage. 

The Stones were recording their Hyde Park gig for issue on DVD so didn't want to impact sales of that.

They still only wanted half the set broadcast but the full thing was leaked on line.

In the BBC coverage this year (or last, can't remember) they were still talking about "unseen footage" so officially it's still not been broadcast in full.

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, Blur cut out a few tunes near the end of the main set because they didn't want to 'spoil the surprise' for Hyde Park-goers.

I was at Hyde Park the next week. As far as memory serves, a disco ball descended and... that was it?

At any rate I think those tunes re-emerged pretty swiftly online.

The version of the set that's been on iPlayer recently is the full length one.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Exactly. I think it was just for TV, that Sunday night, where they didn't want to show everything with the London megagigs in mind.

If they really wanted to keep a lid on surprises, they probably should have omitted Phil Daniels, but whatever.

Would have been a bigger shock if Phil hadn't turned up.

I was at one of the Hyde Park gigs the week later and can't remember any notable differences between the two sets. Pretty sure it was the same with one or two extra songs thrown in.

I remember Dizzee Rascal of all people blocked bits of one of his sub slots (think it was 2013) being shown because his album hadn’t come out yet and he didn’t want the songs from it being spoilt. 

R&L acts do it frequently. You won’t find any official footage of Eminem from 2013 or 2017 (probably not 2001 either). One of many hundreds of reasons he should never headline the G.

also in 2013, alongside the already mentioned, Beyoncé only allowed one song at V Festival to be shown. Clearly major festival acts were being particularly pretentious that summer. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s very much in fashion now but I think back then it was very wacky

Is it?! The silly micro fringe was definitely a thing for a while back in the mid 00s emo/scene days but can’t say I’ve seen anybody rocking one lately. 

It was certainly… a look, anyway, although just one of many pretty hilarious hairstyles she’s had in the past, really. Think she was a victim of that whole scene hair-wise until at least like five years ago - anything before then and you can guarantee she looks pretty daft looking back (and I say that as somebody who had my fair share of stupid floppy scene hair as well).