2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s just the lack of any other dates.

Think people underestimate the significance of GF tbh. Especially if that’s info from 2 sources. 

Not doing the Friday means nothing imo either. 

Can’t remember the last time headliner info was wrong? Adele was correct despite 90% of us talking ourselves into it being Radiohead!

the 1975 headlining would really be my darkest timeline. However, I do think if they had another big album they'd be big enough...as much as I don't like them. But I do think Matt has a point that festivals are no longer relying on/promoting bands as much just at the time when they'd be benefiting from that...so they may not be able to ascend back to headliner status since they didn't have a firm grasp on it pre-pandemic.

That being said, I do think that without the pandemic they would've headlined quite a few festivals in the last few years and be looking like quite a steady headliner.

4 hours ago, PolygonWindow said:

Can’t remember the last time headliner info was wrong? Adele was correct despite 90% of us talking ourselves into it being Radiohead!

Prince in 2014 and 2015. Coldplay and/or Chris Martin supergroup in 2015. McCartney in 2019. Granted, we usually have a good idea of who it is and Neil is often the one who gives us that info, but considering the state of the world still it’s not unreasonable to think that acts are still changing plans and possibly deciding to not tour at all when there’s so much uncertainty still.

Fingers crossed that’s not the case though and that Glastonbury have managed to do what other festivals couldn’t and hold their nerve until Macca and Kendrick were happy to sign on. 

Would love the speculation about The 1975 to be true, would be great to see them headline, I think they deserve it. They did say after their last album they were taking a break for a while to focus on other things. However if they were supposed to headline 2021, I can't see Glastonbury not asking them again just because the pandemic may of effected them. As soon as they start releasing stuff again they will shoot back up. I think Macca will play this year, then either Kendrick or The 1975. Going by info various people have here, I would say it will be Kendrick this year. I do feel both Kendrick and The 1975 will do a tour around October/November, and with Kendrick headlining this year, I think Glastonbury will of asked The 1975 to do next year, towards the end of their tour

21 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Would love the speculation about The 1975 to be true, would be great to see them headline, I think they deserve it. They did say after their last album they were taking a break for a while to focus on other things. However if they were supposed to headline 2021, I can't see Glastonbury not asking them again just because the pandemic may of effected them. As soon as they start releasing stuff again they will shoot back up. I think Macca will play this year, then either Kendrick or The 1975. Going by info various people have here, I would say it will be Kendrick this year. I do feel both Kendrick and The 1975 will do a tour around October/November, and with Kendrick headlining this year, I think Glastonbury will of asked The 1975 to do next year, towards the end of their tour

I think at this point it’s far more likely that they’ll end up in a position like Foals where they had a window where they probably could’ve topped Glastonbury but, for whatever reason, missed it and so will have to settle for sub or OS headliner. 

But that said, I wouldn’t be averse to them getting the top slot. Lord knows the pool of acts who could step up is getting thinner, especially when it comes to bands, so would be a bit of a shame if circumstances out of their own hands ended up completely fucking their chances at it. They seemed like absolute certainties for a couple of years there.

Edited by FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think at this point it’s far more likely that they’ll end up in a position like Foals where they had a window where they probably could’ve topped Glastonbury but, for whatever reason, missed it and so will have to settle for sub or OS headliner. 

But that said, I wouldn’t be averse to them getting the top slot. Lord knows the pool of acts who could step up is getting thinner, especially when it comes to bands, so would be a bit of a shame if circumstances out of their own hands ended up completely fucking their chances at it. They seemed like absolute certainties for a couple of years there.

Releasing an album that flatlined is largely of their own making.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

2020. Neil had info that it wasn’t Macca, but many here thought otherwise.

I think the reason why Macca info is always muddy is because he doesn’t sign until very close to the event.

I don’t doubt that when Neil was told Macca wasn’t booked it was probably true at the time. My guess with acts like this is Glastonbury work off a verbal “yes” that the act wants to do it before contracts are put into place.

I always thought that was the deal with the stones. I know the info was that they signed on the day they were announced, but Glasto must have had a pretty clear indication they were going to sign, and the negotiations must have been very positive for the signing to be pushed out till March.

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True, but I think if they’d have still been able to tour they could’ve possibly pulled it back. 

Although them choosing to take a break and disappear for the past two years post-flop probably wasn’t the best of ideas in hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the reason why Macca info is always muddy is because he doesn’t sign until very close to the event.

I don’t doubt that when Neil was told Macca wasn’t booked it was probably true at the time. My guess with acts like this is Glastonbury work off a verbal “yes” that they act wants to do it before contracts are put into place.

I always thought that was the deal with the stones. I know the info was that they signed on the day they were announced, but Glasto must have had a pretty clear indication they were going to sign, and the negotiations must have been very positive for the signing to be pushed out till March.

How do you get the contacts to know Paul McCartney's signing preferences?......that is truly amazing insight

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think the issue is their album rollouts are a bit weird and only really benefit their fanbase by giving a gradual drip feed of singles. Drop a single and hint an  album that’s coming out in a years time and go through periods of inactivity in between. They only build momentum for the Twitter stans. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

True, but I think if they’d have still been able to tour they could’ve possibly pulled it back. 

Although them choosing to take a break and disappear for the past two years post-flop probably wasn’t the best of ideas in hindsight.

Also I don’t know why they marketed it as a double album if they were going to be released with 2 years of waiting between them. People got bored of waiting and casual listeners dropped out. 

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the issue is their album rollouts are a bit weird and only really benefit their fanbase by giving a gradual drip feed of singles. Drop a single and hint an  album that’s coming out in a years time and go through periods of inactivity in between. They only build momentum for the Twitter stans. 

Do they? I had no interest in The 1975 until they started releasing singles for A Brief Inquiry…

After each single I was more interested and then listened to the album when it came out. What was weird about the rollout and made it not build momentum for non-stans?

• Upvote 1

I personally wouldn't put The 1975 in the same bracket as Foals just yet. I still think The 1975 are a step above. Their latest album wasn't their best work but still had some good songs on it that went down great live at their own shows, I think overall the album was just way too bloated and a lot could be removed. They come back with another good album, and we will be back talking about them more than we do Foals. People saying they were booked for 2021, I don't think people have ever spoke about Foals actually been booked. Also Foals have never out right headlined Reading and Leeds, and I don't think they will (Yes they co headlined). I think they would headline the West stage there now, whereas once The 1975 are back you know they are 100% headlining the festival out right. I do get though that Reading & Leeds is a completely different demographic

3 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Do they? I had no interest in The 1975 until they started releasing singles for A Brief Inquiry…

After each single I was more interested and then listened to the album when it came out. What was weird about the rollout and made it not build momentum for non-stans?

Announcing albums probably before they were even made tbh. It was a bit messy to follow as someone who listens casually. 

They seemed to constantly beat this drum that they had BIG THINGS COMING. And when what comes isn’t big it just doesn’t land that well.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Think the ship has sailed now on the 1975. They’ll join Foals in the eternal purgatory between subbing and headlining.

Biff, Foals and The 1975 all making a case for the infamous 'Pyramid sized Other headliners' slot. 

If we didn't have the inclination that Pet Shop Boys were headlining Other on the Sunday again then I'd have thought Biffy or Foals would be a decent shout to play opposite Kendrick.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Announcing albums probably before they were even made tbh. It was a bit messy to follow as someone who listens casually. 

If you only listen casually you'd probably just listen to the songs when they came out and give the album the spin when that drops. Not sure what else there is to get.

• Like 1