2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Just now, kingbadger said:

Biff, Foals and The 1975 all making a case for the infamous 'Pyramid sized Other headliners' slot. 

If we didn't have the inclination that Pet Shop Boys were headlining Other on the Sunday again then I'd have thought Biffy or Foals would be a decent shout to play opposite Kendrick.

They'll all have to squeeze up to make room for Royal Blood soon enough.

Agree that The 1975's moment to headline has probably passed.

I do think there is a group of musicians who pre-pandemic were riding the crest of a wave popularity wise and due to enforced inactivity have seen a massive dent in that.

A prominent member of this troupe is definitely Gerry Cinnamon, I know not a headliner by any stretch but he could of released a song of purely white noise pre pandemic and it would have been lapped up. Not sure that's the case now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Announcing albums probably before they were even made tbh. It was a bit messy to follow as someone who listens casually. 

They seemed to constantly beat this drum that they had BIG THINGS COMING. And when what comes isn’t big it just doesn’t land that well.

Never noticed this. Sounds a lot more like something Twitter stans would notice than casual fans who just listen to the singles when they see a post from NME saying a new 1975 single is out.

I dont buy this covid argument. If they were truly worthy then the pandemic shouldnt really have massively affected their popularity in any meaningful way. Says more about a floating fanbase that is too eager to move onto the next big thing.

for me an enforced break wouldnt make a big difference to a nailed on headliner and probably means they should never have been considered to begin with

4 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I dont buy this covid argument. If they were truly worthy then the pandemic shouldnt really have massively affected their popularity in any meaningful way. Says more about a floating fanbase that is too eager to move onto the next big thing.

for me an enforced break wouldnt make a big difference to a nailed on headliner and probably means they should never have been considered to begin with

Nah 2 years in the music world things can change if you’re not extremely established. 

Of course massive artists can just take 2 years off and do very little, but those who are fighting to be seen as credible headlining acts it’s not great.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

What does this even mean?

I explained it directly underneath. 

Bands like Radiohead or AM can disappear for a few years or completely mute their activity because they’ve already established a very strong fan base and no one will doubt their headlining credentials.

The worst thing for an act to do who isn’t cemented as a headline is drop off the face of the earth. Sometimes you need to strike the iron while it’s hot.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Bands like Radiohead or AM can disappear for a few years or completely mute their activity because they’ve already established a very strong fan base and no one will doubt their headlining credentials.

The worst thing for an act to do who isn’t cemented as a headline is drop off the face of the earth. Sometimes you need to strike the iron while it’s hot.

Thing is, your focus here is on an act achieving or maintaining festival headline status. Which is probably very far down the list of priorities. Nobody is going to rush or compromise an album or tour just so they can headline a festival.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They've been selling out arenas for most of the last decade. How much more striking is necessary>

Not everything has a narrative attached to it.

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Thing is, your focus here is on an act achieving or maintaining festival headline status. Which is probably very far down the list of priorities. Nobody is going to rush or compromise an album or tour just so they can headline a festival.

Considering how much the 1975 mentioned in the press that they were dying to headline R&L and Glasto I think this was probably quite high up their priorities. It reminds me a lot of how Kasabian used to go on about it loads.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Considering how much the 1975 mentioned in the press that they were dying to headline R&L and Glasto I think this was probably quite high up their priorities. It reminds me a lot of how Kasabian used to go on about it loads.

Stuff like that is a byproduct of producing and releasing music though. And those headline slots are only going to come about with releasing good new material, rushing new material will only be a detriment to an act's standing in the industry and commercial successfulness. 

1 hour ago, ModBoy said:

Would love the speculation about The 1975 to be true, would be great to see them headline, I think they deserve it. They did say after their last album they were taking a break for a while to focus on other things. However if they were supposed to headline 2021, I can't see Glastonbury not asking them again just because the pandemic may of effected them. As soon as they start releasing stuff again they will shoot back up. I think Macca will play this year, then either Kendrick or The 1975. Going by info various people have here, I would say it will be Kendrick this year. I do feel both Kendrick and The 1975 will do a tour around October/November, and with Kendrick headlining this year, I think Glastonbury will of asked The 1975 to do next year, towards the end of their tour

Could make the same argument about Florence as FATM were also 'supposed to headline 2021', and are actually active on the European festival scene this summer...

Billie Eilish / Paul McCartney / The 1975

Billie Eilish / Paul McCartney / Florence + The Machine 

Both wouldn’t be crap tbh. I just think that there are bigger options which could be called for that Sunday if they needed.

Do the 1975 have any tour dates for 2022?

2 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Nothing.

Fair. I’m starting to warm a bit to the idea of it being Florence on that Sunday though. Seems like she is a stand in for Kendrick at various festivals he was due to play.

She could be back as a very strong sub but it’s hard to deny now she’s around and able.