2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Just had a thought - would Kendrick not allow the BBC to broadcast his headline set? Does he have a bit of a track record for not allowing performances to be recorded?

Which day gets the biggest BBC figures, is it the Saturday? If so it might make more sense to keep Macca on the Saturday. Kendrick being on the Sunday with no broadcasting and would probably be the best day for him to play. As Billie / Paul will be headlining on prime TV viewing slots.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Just had a thought - would Kendrick not allow the BBC to broadcast his headline set? Does he have a bit of a track record for not allowing performances to be recorded?

Which day gets the biggest BBC figures, is it the Saturday? If so it might make more sense to keep Macca on the Saturday. Kendrick being on the Sunday with no broadcasting and would probably be the best day for him to play. As Billie / Paul will be headlining on prime TV viewing slots.

Apparently it doesn’t factor into the bookings, and is at the discretion of the artist and the broadcaster. I guess if he only elects to show 15 mins or not at all then they’ll switch over to someone else.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

No evidence to back this but surely Sunday has the most, nobody is out at the pub/events/parties etc on Sunday evening really vs Friday/Saturday?

1 minute ago, gfa said:

No evidence to back this but surely Sunday has the most, nobody is out at the pub/events/parties etc on Sunday evening really vs Friday/Saturday?

Sat is always primetime for the BBC ... thats when they put on the big shows ... I reckon sat is the biggest draw tbh 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Sat is always primetime for the BBC ... thats when they put on the big shows ... I reckon sat is the biggest draw tbh 

I’d agree.  I’d say having the likes of Rolling Stones, Adele, The Killers, Macca in recent years shows there’s some thought to the Saturday night bigger headliner thing)

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not sure how much difference it’ll make. If Kendrick doesn’t want his set broadcast the BBC will just show stuff from elsewhere. Assuming the Pet Shop Boys were up against him the Beeb could just broadcast that, or do a highlights show from the rest of the day.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Dont see why he says no. He had his Coachella performance webcast 2 days after DAMN was released. If its a similar situation where the album is freshly released, why would he object. 

26 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think it goes beyond this though. I see it as a case of programming-by-energy flow. Big bass-heavy, kung-fu/cowboy styled, political Kendrick blowout doesn’t signal Sunday night’s ‘one last push’ to me. The locals won’t like it, but the crowd might only have so much left to give anyway.

Saturday night ensures a carry-on which means a lot of the audience won’t necessarily see their night peak at the Pyramid. I’d be fairly sure that’s why flabby sets from Kanye and the Foos, to name just two, got hugely enthusiastic reactions from the core crowd. Mix of the faithful and the fucked, basically. Not sure you get the same revived bouncing during Ye’s saving-grave encore, or sympathetic cheers as Grohl longs out another cover, if it’s Sunday night.

Made the point before but when you think about Coldplay, Stevie Wonder, Beyoncé, The Who (twice), Ed Sheeran, Blur, David Bowie et al, there’s no impediment to putting colossal acts, and true TV-ratings magnets, on last.

Shunting Macca & what we assumed to be a classic rock Pyramid run isn’t a given. But Kendrick on Sunday could flame out. It’s a risk.

There may be all sorts of factors but what if it was Sunday or nothing for Kendrick? If Macca was signed up and booked before Kendrick got back to them? He seems to have a track record of sitting on things.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Probably absolutely nothing, but after the interview they played with Dave Gahan just now on 6music, Chris Hawkins said: "So Depeche Mode to headline the Saturday at Glastonbury?" To which Matt Everett replied: "I'm not saying anything."

Could just be Chris saying he'd like to see it of course.

That’s the second time he’s hinted at that in a week hmmm

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Probably absolutely nothing, but after the interview they played with Dave Gahan just now on 6music, Chris Hawkins said: "So Depeche Mode to headline the Saturday at Glastonbury?" To which Matt Everett replied: "I'm not saying anything."

That would definitely put the cat amongst the pigeons wouldn't it.

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I would probably cry happy tears

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Billie/Macc/Depeche Mode would be a very good lineup. But it would be a shame to not have Kendrick.