Jump to content

2022 Headliners


Chrisp1986
 Share

Recommended Posts

Isn’t crowd bleed a pretty common phenomenon at festivals? Not everyone there will be a fan, some will have gone to see what the fuss is about or have always planned to watch a bit and move on or some simply don’t enjoy it.

Doubt there are many acts that hold a massive crowd all the way through…

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Isn’t crowd bleed a pretty common phenomenon at festivals? Not everyone there will be a fan, some will have gone to see what the fuss is about or have always planned to watch a bit and move on or some simply don’t enjoy it.

Doubt there are many acts that hold a massive crowd all the way through…

Foo Fighters, Adele, Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay are examples of acts that I think held their crowd pretty solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Foo Fighters, Adele, Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay are examples of acts that I think held their crowd pretty solid.

Monkeys thinned out a fair bit, as did the Foos.

Adele and the Stones were more “event” headliners, they tend to hold better than the average headliner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Monkeys thinned out a fair bit, as did the Foos.

Adele and the Stones were more “event” headliners, they tend to hold better than the average headliner.

I remember going for a wee during the woaaaaah ohhhh’s at Foos and it still being pretty busy right up to the toilets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Metallica was the sparsest and quickest thinning that I have seen though I cant vouch for Gorillaz as I was in the pit really enjoying it <unapologetic>

I didn't see any movement at all during Adele and Stones but I was level with the towers so I may not be a reliable witness there either.

To be fair to Metallica, they were up against Pixies on Other. My group watched the start of Metallica and then ran across to Other for the second half of Pixies and lots of people seemed to be doing the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

To be fair to Metallica, they were up against Pixies on Other. My group watched the start of Metallica and then ran across to Other for the second half of Pixies and lots of people seemed to be doing the same. 

Think you've remembered it the wrong way around. Not sure where your friends went to during Metallica, but I suspect it wasn't the Other Stage because in one of the most famous bizarre bookings, Jake Bugg was headlining that night.

According to the official times on the lineup, Pixies should have finished about 15 minutes or so after Metallica started, but on the day there wasn't any overlap (can't remember if Pixies finished early or Metallica were late or a bit of each) - I was able to see both acts in full, albeit having made the journey in good time by sneaking through the Interstage shortcut the moment Pixies finished and arriving at the Pyramid just as the Metallica intro video started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So did everyone stay for Jay Z, Kanye and Beyonce? Some of the most polarizing headliners recently, dont leave them out. Cause it sure looked like people watched them the whole time.

I was at all 3.

Lots seemed to be leaving for Kanye.

I was in the throng of things for the other two and it was packed until the end, at least where I was stood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So did everyone stay for Jay Z, Kanye and Beyonce? Some of the most polarizing headliners recently, dont leave them out. Cause it sure looked like people watched them the whole time.

I can’t comment on Beyoncé or Jay-Z but I was at West Holts while Kanye was on and there were a lot of people streaming through the field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Muse thinned as well last time. I actually got out the Muse crowd easier than the Metallica crowd.

Muse was odd. Where I was (left hand side of the stage nearly level with the screen, in line with the mixing desk) it was deserted at the start, filled up about 10 minutes in then thinned out about 40 minutes later. I left at that point with quite a lot of others.

But as others have said it’s very common for the size of these headliner crowds to ebb and change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Muse was odd. Where I was (left hand side of the stage nearly level with the screen, in line with the mixing desk) it was deserted at the start, filled up about 10 minutes in then thinned out about 40 minutes later. I left at that point with quite a lot of others.

But as others have said it’s very common for the size of these headliner crowds to ebb and change.

Yeah, I left as Madness was staring to go to Underworld at WHs. No regrets with that decision. Muse have been done for a long time though now imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the moral of the story is the majority of Glastonbury headliners in this day and age will attract a really big number to start and dwindle as the show goes on. Glastonbury headliners receive so much pub in the build up to the event, the curiosity factor is huge. I don’t think It’s a slight on an act to have a “mass exodus” - there’s so much to see at the festival, yet a Pyramid headliner coming on stage is always the most attractive proposition of the weekend. Some acts will retain that crowd, but I’d argue most of them will see the crowd thin. 

Most Glastonbury headliners now put on a good show. There’s only a couple in recent years where the consensus is “that didn’t work too well” (Muse probably the main one that springs to mind). Crowds thinning as the set goes on is a moot point to me and by no means a judge of how good/successful a headliner is. If you’re in the pit and a fan of the band you’re likely going to have a great time. If you’re at the back and there out of curiosity, you’ll probably see the crowd thin and end up leaving yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think the moral of the story is the majority of Glastonbury headliners in this day and age will attract a really big number to start and dwindle as the show goes on. Glastonbury headliners receive so much pub in the build up to the event, the curiosity factor is huge. I don’t think It’s a slight on an act to have a “mass exodus” - there’s so much to see at the festival, yet a Pyramid headliner coming on stage is always the most attractive proposition of the weekend. Some acts will retain that crowd, but I’d argue most of them will see the crowd thin. 

Most Glastonbury headliners now put on a good show. There’s only a couple in recent years where the consensus is “that didn’t work too well” (Muse probably the main one that springs to mind). Crowds thinning as the set goes on is a moot point to me and by no means a judge of how good/successful a headliner is. If you’re in the pit and a fan of the band you’re likely going to have a great time. If you’re at the back and there out of curiosity, you’ll probably see the crowd thin and end up leaving yourself.

Also at a festival where you put a million things in at one time it looks weird to me to judge people for bimbling around 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, incident said:

Think you've remembered it the wrong way around. Not sure where your friends went to during Metallica, but I suspect it wasn't the Other Stage because in one of the most famous bizarre bookings, Jake Bugg was headlining that night.

According to the official times on the lineup, Pixies should have finished about 15 minutes or so after Metallica started, but on the day there wasn't any overlap (can't remember if Pixies finished early or Metallica were late or a bit of each) - I was able to see both acts in full, albeit having made the journey in good time by sneaking through the Interstage shortcut the moment Pixies finished and arriving at the Pyramid just as the Metallica intro video started.

I saw the whole Pixies set, then caught the tail end of Scroobious Pip vs Dan Le Sac in Leftfield on the way to Metallica, missing just the first 15 minutes or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I legit got stuck in the crowd for Dolly, wish it had thinned out. I wasn’t too into it, but somehow ended up quite near to the stage at the right and on trying to leave managed to get about 30 feet back before it become too Herculean of a task.

She’s probably one of the only people (Kylie and the Stones too) where I looked and thought nobody is leaving and the crowd is just a wall from where I was in the crowd. But I agree, every act seems to have a lot of movement, ‘festival phenomenon’ Init.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jparx said:

I think the moral of the story is the majority of Glastonbury headliners in this day and age will attract a really big number to start and dwindle as the show goes on. Glastonbury headliners receive so much pub in the build up to the event, the curiosity factor is huge. I don’t think It’s a slight on an act to have a “mass exodus” - there’s so much to see at the festival, yet a Pyramid headliner coming on stage is always the most attractive proposition of the weekend. Some acts will retain that crowd, but I’d argue most of them will see the crowd thin. 

Most Glastonbury headliners now put on a good show. There’s only a couple in recent years where the consensus is “that didn’t work too well” (Muse probably the main one that springs to mind). Crowds thinning as the set goes on is a moot point to me and by no means a judge of how good/successful a headliner is. If you’re in the pit and a fan of the band you’re likely going to have a great time. If you’re at the back and there out of curiosity, you’ll probably see the crowd thin and end up leaving yourself.

But there is a difference between natural crowd churn and an act tanking and a lot of people upping sticks as a result. 

Both happen but they're not *really* the same thing. 

For sure people left the Stones when they started digging deep into Midnight Rambler, but it's not quite the same as what happened with Gorillaz or Kanye.  

Or, more controversially, Radiohead in 2017.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But there is a difference between natural crowd churn and an act tanking and a lot of people upping sticks as a result. 

Both happen but they're not *really* the same thing. 

For sure people left the Stones when they started digging deep into Midnight Rambler, but it's not quite the same as what happened with Gorillaz or Kanye.  

Or, more controversially, Radiohead in 2017.

 

I think things like crowd churn are mainly used by people as sticks to beat acts where they want to further the narrative (false or otherwise) that an act flopped.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But there is a difference between natural crowd churn and an act tanking and a lot of people upping sticks as a result. 

Both happen but they're not *really* the same thing. 

For sure people left the Stones when they started digging deep into Midnight Rambler, but it's not quite the same as what happened with Gorillaz or Kanye.  

Or, more controversially, Radiohead in 2017.

 

Yeah but the point is how many headliners have actually tanked and had a mass exodus in recent years? Not sure if there was an exodus for Muse since I was near the front, but they were definitely a let down. Kanye probably the closest example I’ve seen first hand where people both stormed off mumbling it was shite and critical reviews weren’t flattering.

Florence is an example on the flip side where the crowd definitely thinned out a lot as the show went on, but no one is claiming she tanked. There’s the curiosity factor drawing a lot of people in, but if you’re not a specific fan of Florence you’d probably catch a couple songs and check out something else.

Fans leaving in droves doesn’t automatically mean it’s a bad set and I don’t really think it’s indicative of much on its own. Has to be taken in context.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think things like crowd churn are mainly used by people as sticks to beat acts where they want to further the narrative (false or otherwise) that an act flopped.

Yep, and more specifically by people who post on a dedicated Glastonbury forum when there hasn’t been a festival in too long! And we’re all included there, no dig at anyone specifically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sadimmock said:

I can’t comment on Beyoncé or Jay-Z but I was at West Holts while Kanye was on and there were a lot of people streaming through the field. 

They were running from Kanye. It was sparse at the back before he came on.  As much as the start was good it soon became boring 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...