2021 New Music

dentalplan

4 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I loved the first Glasvegas album. Saw them on a festival poster line up recently and was surprised they were still a band.

Thought the singer was trying to self sabotage as he didn't like success. Went to a free gig that was meant to be promoting their second album and he said we're only going to play songs of the first album as the new one is shit. Then someone came on stage, gave him a stern warning and they played some new songs, but he kept apologising for having to play them and saying his hands were tied.

Remember it being in the news as the singer had disappeared during the height of their fame whilst they were on tour and he didn't come across that well when he was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Hopefully he's in a better place. Will definitely check out the new album (don't think I ever actually gave the 2nd album a proper chance as their own singer convinced me it wasn't worth listening too 😂)

I know what you mean. The hype around the debut album should have meant they were huge but for whatever reason it didn’t happen and they just disappeared. Like you said, I don’t think they were comfortable being in the limelight. Their debut is easily in my top 3 albums of all time and I still play it regularly now. I had an advance preview of their new album and it’s incredible. 

42 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Remember it being in the news as the singer had disappeared during the height of their fame whilst they were on tour and he didn't come across that well when he was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Hopefully he's in a better place. Will definitely check out the new album (don't think I ever actually gave the 2nd album a proper chance as their own singer convinced me it wasn't worth listening too 😂)

My claim to (moderate) fame is that I knew James, the lead signer, pretty well growing up. We weren't best mates or anything like that but we used to play football together, talk about music etc. and he was always just the nicest bloke. The Buzzcocks thing definitely took on a bit of a life of his own. Seemed clear to me that he was doing a bit but most folk presumed (not unfairly I suppose) that was what he was actually like. Think they/he took a while to recover for that.

I used to see him every so often after Glasvegas broke through, mainly because I used to work in a pub not far from Celtic Park and he occasionally stopped in for a beer after the match. He just spoke to me the same way we did when we were teenagers, still just a nice bloke. Will always have a lot of time for him and the band.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, st dan said:

Doesn’t seem too much out there today, but the Dry Cleaning album is sounding great on first listen. 

The Natvral (The Pains of Being Pure at Heart frontman Kip’s solo album) and Major Murphy are both out if you want some indie-pop.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

That made me laugh despite the spelling mistake. In Scottish it should be 'he's gooooaaaaan'

My flat mates must have thought I was having a stroke in my room, shouting goooaan over and over again working out the best way to spell it (and I still got it wrong ahah)

Don’t forget it is Bandcamp Friday, when 100% of sales go to the artist.

New release out today from The Lords of Misrule, a collective from Glastonbury. If you like chill out, ambient music. something to soothe and nurture the soul then check this album out:

https://thelordsofmisrule.bandcamp.com/album/a-dream-that-hasnt-yet-started

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Haan said:

Freddie Gibbs is the best rapper out right now, incredible flows

Couldn’t agree more. This is so good, and he’s been on a real streak of excellent releases for a while now. Nobody’s doing it like Freddie at the moment.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Quite enjoyed the new Hannah Peel album that came out a couple weeks back now, I think it's held back by going a little too minimal at times but still pretty good overall

I've been trying to listen to this but for some reason it doesn't appear to be on Deezer.