2021 New Music

dentalplan

Interesting article about Black Midi’s upcoming second album due to be released at the end of May.

Across the album there’s still plenty of the band’s usual taut, intense, guitar work that marries no wave ferocity with prog proficiency, but it’s where those songs lead that results in such a constantly surprising listen. There are moments of real tender beauty on the album that will have those who hated the band’s earlier work wondering what the hell is going on but just before you’re sucked into a more serene and pretty world, things explode and confound once more

https://thequietus.com/articles/29818-black-midi-cavalcade-interview

Just finished the Iglooghost LP - great stuff

Electronic music has been killing it this year looking at my top albums on AOTY... For Those I Love, Vegyn, Iglooghost, Bicep, Dimension, edIT, SG Lewis, Roosevelt, Logic1000, Wax Motif, OVERWERK, Danny L Harle, Octa Octa, dltzk, Hannah Peel, Madlib...

Still got the Floating Points one to try too!

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Just finished the Iglooghost LP - great stuff

Electronic music has been killing it this year looking at my top albums on AOTY... For Those I Love, Vegyn, Iglooghost, Bicep, Dimension, edIT, SG Lewis, Roosevelt, Logic1000, Wax Motif, OVERWERK, Danny L Harle, Octa Octa, dltzk, Hannah Peel, Madlib...

Still got the Floating Points one to try too!

I listened to the new Inner City album last week and thought it was v good. Discolsure seem to have somehow gone from being crap to pretty good too.

8 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

What’s on everyone’s list tomorrow?

New albums from Spirit of the Beehive and The Reds, Pinks & Purples are good. New EP by a band called Muttering as well.

Brockhampton is the big one for me.

Other than that I’ll probably check out the new London Grammar, Spirit of the Beehive, Small Black, and I’m sure other stuff that I’m not aware of or have forgotten about.

Bank Holiday weekend has ruined my flow a bit I'm still getting through last week. On the list though besides what you've listed (looking forward to that SotB one) I've got BROCKHAMPTON, Courting, Silver Synthesis and I'll probably check out the new Tommy Cash one with a beer in the evening, although its not really the same without the videos.

Could swear April 9th rings a bell besides those so either someone will list what I'm thinking of or I've forgotten someones birthday

oh yeah PONY have their album out tomorrow if you're into the female fronted grunge pop movement of late, stupid band name though you've gotta wade through some mad shit to find anything pony related on the net these days. This is a decent tune.

Brockhampton is great. Mostly more of the same of what they’ve done previously, but that’s all fine with me.

Spirit of the Beehive album is incredible. Was expecting it to be good after the few pre-release songs and hype I’ve seen around them/this album, but even so this is really outdoing my expectations. I’m sure I checked out Hypnic Jerks when it was released but remember nothing about it and haven’t gone back since so gonna have to give that and their other stuff a proper listen. 

25 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

In other news, Twitter seems to be taking The Snuts beating Demi Lovato in the chart race pretty poorly...

They’re really not happy are they? Heads gone all over the place about album/ticket bundles. I can’t say I’m a fan of The Snuts but I’m pleased they won, fair play to them. I think they were booked for William’s Green last year but I suspect they’ll be on a much bigger stage if they’re back next year. 

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

New Brockhampton is pretty good but not quite as good as Ginger imo (though I do seem to be one of the few people who like that record).

In other news, Twitter seems to be taking The Snuts beating Demi Lovato in the chart race pretty poorly...

pretty much where I'm at. For me it could be elevated with a bit of a track cull, there's a 30ish min gem in there.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

They’re really not happy are they? Heads gone all over the place about album/ticket bundles. I can’t say I’m a fan of The Snuts but I’m pleased they won, fair play to them. I think they were booked for William’s Green last year but I suspect they’ll be on a much bigger stage if they’re back next year. 

Does anyone else think the William's Green bookers do a really good job, but the tent is too small? Always want to catch a few bands there, but whenever I've been it's always been rammed to an extent it makes it a bit unpleasant to be in the tent (especially on a warm day)

35 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Does anyone else think the William's Green bookers do a really good job, but the tent is too small? Always want to catch a few bands there, but whenever I've been it's always been rammed to an extent it makes it a bit unpleasant to be in the tent (especially on a warm day)

It's usually the first bit of the line up I look at as we've usually worked most the rest of it out, I think they book around December time and usually the band's release stuff or gain traction in the spring. They should give those bookers the j peel tent really.

Just now, priest17 said:

It's usually the first bit of the line up I look at as we've usually worked most the rest of it out, I think they book around December time and usually the band's release stuff or gain traction in the spring. They should give those bookers the j peel tent really.

Totally agree about giving them the Peel tent. It used to be great for up and coming bands, but it's declined at it's original purpose and William's Green bookers are kicking ass at what the Peel bookers should be doing.

14 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Totally agree about giving them the Peel tent. It used to be great for up and coming bands, but it's declined at it's original purpose and William's Green bookers are kicking ass at what the Peel bookers should be doing.

I think the John Peel tent still books good lineups, the 2020 lineup for it was fantastic. William’s Green do a great job of booking a lot of acts who would previously have played afternoon sets in the John Peel tent. I really like William’s Green, pretty handy to get to from most areas, but it could definitely do with being a bit bigger. I don’t remember this being as much of an issue when it first became William’s Green but it certainly seems a bit busier over the last couple of festivals.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's (generally) an up and coming bands tent. Making it cavernous may help the folk that want to see the 1 or 2 that go mega in the run up to the festival, but otherwise it would be half empty most of the time.

This is true aye. It’s a pretty big tent as it is and I’ve spent a bunch of time sat at the back of it when it’s not busy. Turning it into an arena takes away the intimacy. Just get there early for the bigger acts I would say.

For what it’s worth, I think The Snuts should be shunned for the honking name that they chose for their band.