U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Should've posted I'm Afraid of Americans 

At times like these, I have to have hope. I love America, I love Americans. In my heart, I know they are better than this. Think it might have been Michelle Obama who said, when they go low, we go high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely the police in some way were involved in allowing that to happen, either whoever made the decision to have so few there or those who were there with their half hearted attempts at stopping them

Along with the Republican senators who were objecting as much as possible to delay the proceedings to allow time for the protesters to storm the building. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely the police in some way were involved in allowing that to happen, either whoever made the decision to have so few there or those who were there with their half hearted attempts at stopping them

And the lack of dispersal action ... although possibly leaving it has been the best outcome rather than stoking the fire 🔥.... 

6 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

At times like these, I have to have hope. I love America, I love Americans. In my heart, I know they are better than this. Think it might have been Michelle Obama who said, when they go low, we go high.

My feelings exactly. This very evening I was riding high on the (projected) outcome in Georgia and I was dancing around the kitchen to my "USA" playlist - enjoying all of the music I love from a country that has had a greater influence on my life than any other. And then this all happened. It was quite the crash back to earth.

Have just spoken to my best friend over there and she was consoling me 😂 it was at that point I realised I need to get a grip, and go to bed.

1 minute ago, Lizzim said:

They need to throw the book at Trump. He cannot be allowed to just go away. He has to be punished for what he has done. 

@Lizzim I completely, wholeheartedly agree. But I think America... well Biden really.... need to be very careful how they proceed now. Clearly a very large proportion of the American electorate voted for him, and what he stands for. It’s like Brexit on steroids. With guns.

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

@Lizzim I completely, wholeheartedly agree. But I think America... well Biden really.... need to be very careful how they proceed now. Clearly a very large proportion of the American electorate voted for him, and what he stands for. It’s like Brexit on steroids. With guns.

That was my first thought when I read Lizzim's post, but actually you can't keep ignoring this behaviour as it normalises it. There has to be some consequences. If they just try to look the other way out of fear it gets worse, it will get worse.