Football 2020/2021

zahidf

Just now, sisco said:

Ben White is in the provisional squad.  Any team or squad without Trent in it is completely ridiculous. 

Must admit I'm a little confused at that. Especially given it's most likely that he'll be named today and cut when the final 26 man squad is confirmed.

I thought the idea of today's expanded squad announcement would be to cover those who had a question mark over them injury wise? 

So Pope, Henderson, Phillips for instance.

6 minutes ago, sisco said:

Ben White is in the provisional squad.  Any team or squad without Trent in it is completely ridiculous. 

Different positions though and Trent isn't always the best defensively. White is a good CB but has been used as a CDM so might be taking him as another CB option and a Phillips back up if he doesn't make it.

My 26 for England:

Keepers:
Pickford, Henderson, Johnstone

Defenders:
Walker, Trippier, TAA, Chilwell, Shaw, Stones, Maguire, Coady, Mings

Midfielders:
Rice, Henderson, Grealish, Foden, Phillips, Mount, Ward-Prowse, Dier, Bellingham

Forwards:
Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood

Should probably find space for Sancho? Maybe for Ward-Prowse?

33 minutes ago, foolee said:

Different positions though and Trent isn't always the best defensively. White is a good CB but has been used as a CDM so might be taking him as another CB option and a Phillips back up if he doesn't make it.

I wasn’t comparing White and Trent.  Btw, if you look at the stats Trent has been better defending than the rest too

The Athletic reported last week that Trippier is in over TAA. If that's the case the tabloids will be writing Southgate's eulogy already for when we don't win.

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Nothing short of what the England v Scotland match deserves! Going to be quite the atmosphere...

Already done some enquiries for pubs for that match and all the decent places are already fully booked. I’ll be doing something at home for that game. Beyond the group stages pubs should be at full capacity so should be able to just turn up. 

48 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Nothing short of what the England v Scotland match deserves! Going to be quite the atmosphere...

Just read the article, think this is in reference to games after the 21st, which if there is no restrictions, should be full capacity 

To be axed for the 26 man squad for me:

Ramsdale, Godfrey, White, James, Philips, Sterling, Watkins

It won’t be what actually happens, and these aren’t the ‘worst’ players in each position by any means, but I just don’t think any of them will be first choice, or offer any real versatility from the bench. 

With that in, this would be my final 26 man selection to take into the tournament: 

Goalkeepers - Henderson, Johnstone, Pickford 

Defenders - Chilwell, James, Maguire, Mings, Shaw, Stones, Trippier, Walker 

Midfielders - Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Henderson, Lingard, Mount, Rice, Saka, Ward-Prowse 

Forwards - Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood, Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling

Surprised Dier - even though he’s had a terrible season - didn’t make it as he’s a Southgate favourite. Trying to think who else could consider themselves unlucky... Bamford, Ings and Wan-Bissaka maybe (what’s one more right back?!)

Edited by Ryan1984

I really don’t think Sterling should be going.
Don’t get me wrong he’s a great player, but he’s not had a good season at all.  He’s also had his chances at major tournaments before, and not performed well (missing big chances), even when in better form entering it. 
Two of Foden/Sancho/Rashford will be starters out wide, with the other being first sub. I think Greenwood and Saka deserve their chance from the bench after that. 

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

How has Danny Ings not even made the provisional squad?

Must be carrying an injury surely - no other explanation for Watkins going ahead of him, although both have had great seasons.  

Im not so sure Maguire will be fit for the first few games, think he’s been included for the knockout rounds to give him the extra couple of weeks. Maybe one of White/Godfrey will end up going to cover for this.