Football 2020/2021

zahidf

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

Is our defence really that bad?!

............. PickfordHenderson ............

... TAA ... Stones ... Maguire ... Shaw ...

All the back four are players who are regular starters for teams that finished 1st / 2nd / 3rd this season. 
I really don’t see that as weak at all, although ideally a more solid keeper would be preferable.
Then there are decent options to bring in if you want a back three - bring in Walker as 3rd CB, and swap Chilwell for Shaw for example.  

As good as Stones has been for City he turns into an utter clown every time he pulls on an England shirt.

You can tell the defence is a bit meh as there could of easily been 3 different players there from the same clubs. Brighton fans would rate Dunk over White. I also wouldn't be surprised if Villa feel the same about Konsa over Mings and though he's dipped recently Keane was up there with Godfrey in the autumn.

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Anyone saying Sterling shouldn't be going to the tournament at all are mental. 

Absolutely, I could maybe see a case for it if it was still a 23 man squad, maybe. But given the 3 extra slots he can't be left out, especially with how little tournament experience is in the rest of the squad.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Anyone saying Sterling shouldn't be going to the tournament at all are mental. 

Think that’s just me to be fair! I was looking at it more from a current form point of view, but overlooked his experience and how successful he’s been the past couple of years. 

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yeah fair point, swap Walker for TAA and the point still stands, and in fact makes it even stronger I guess. And we’ve got cover in Chilwell, Trippier and TAA out wide. Granted we are a bit light in top class CB cover, but Coady and Mings can do a job if required.

It may not be as good as Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville on paper, but I  don’t see it as weak, and it has good options and cover. 

Shaw can do a good job on the left of a back three as well.

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Think that’s just me to be fair! I was looking at it more from a current form point of view, but overlooked his experience and how successful he’s been the past couple of years. 

I'm basing my opinion on all his goals vs chances at the last international tournament. Someone even set up a crowdfunder to get him a plane ticket home he was that bad. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

51 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The idiots giving him shit all tournament really helped his form improve.

I was thinking the same thing about the way Southgate has selected his squad. Every other country seems to have have named theirs now. We are going to have a week of the players reading on social media who should and shouldn't be there and who should be dropped to get to the 26 

11 hours ago, lost said:

I was thinking the same thing about the way Southgate has selected his squad. Every other country seems to have have named theirs now. We are going to have a week of the players reading on social media who should and shouldn't be there and who should be dropped to get to the 26 

Wales are playing the same drawn out game. You would struggle to name 20 players our squad so I am struggling to see the purpose bin waiting.

In general I think the whole 26 man squad is pointless, creates more discussion on social media and gives 3 extra winners medals, but hard to see how players 24-26 will make a meaningful impact, when players 20 to 24 almost certainly won't.

Southgate has said why Bamford wasn’t selected. He wanted to keep the same core players together that were there for the qualifying rounds. 

Bamford isn’t the right sort of player for a Southgate led England team anyway. He prefers to play in an attacking team rather than the defensive, stop start, passing sideways style of football England have been playing. 

18 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Southgate has said why Bamford wasn’t selected. He wanted to keep the same core players together that were there for the qualifying rounds. 

Bamford isn’t the right sort of player for a Southgate led England team anyway. He prefers to play in an attacking team rather than the defensive, stop start, passing sideways style of football England have been playing. 

Bamford just isn’t good enough. 

Injuries aside, I imagine a third out and out striker is going to get very little game time behind Kane and DCL (who I assume will be first option from the bench). Plus you’ve got Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood (if he goes) that can all play there too who have been selected as wide players. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I know. He only scored 17 times in the premier league this season. 

Dean Holdsworth, Mickey Quinn, Rod Wallace, Dion Dublin, Michael Bridges, Marcus Stewart, James Beattie, Andy Johnson, Darren Bent, Charlie Austin, Danny Ings all matched or bettered that achievement. Some of them did so over a much longer period of time than Bamford has. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

That's fucking disgraceful. I give Liverpool lots of shit but there is absolutely no excuse for those fans dying that day. How no one has been made accountable is a stain on our society. Football fans were vilified back in those days, sometimes rightly so. But, the authorities behaved like bigger c**ts than the people they were supposed to protect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not seen a performance in a major final as bad as Rashford’s tonight in quite a while.

He was absolutely terrible. He shouldn’t be anywhere near England’s starting XI at the Euros the way he’s been playing.