Football 2020/2021

zahidf

17 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Delighted to see Gilmour make the Scotland Euro Squad 👍 He was at the performance school down the road from me and there’s been a buzz about him for a few years. Same for his younger brother.

Couple of other kids from there now at Bayern and City. 

In other news, few of my mates got tickets for Wembley. I was nowhere near the points required 😞 

All other ticket options seem difficult as e tickets issued to phones apparently and possibility of covid tests means it’s looking like tv for me. Pity after all this time at no finals and would have been a great occasion with 90,000 in.

Still waiting to find out whether I’ll be going to the England - Scotland game. Had my Croatia ticket cancelled yesterday in the ballot, but not heard about the other games I’ve got yet.

Cant say I’m hugely optimistic.

21 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Griffiths. Especially after the last match against England but he’s not being playing much recently for various reasons. Right decision for me. He’s went with a few of the younger ones like Gilmour but we’re not exactly spoiled for choice. 

Are they doing a Euro single? Trouble is you can't beat that Del Amitri song!! The Manics did a good one for Wales last time, but haven't heard we doing one again.

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Still waiting to find out whether I’ll be going to the England - Scotland game. Had my Croatia ticket cancelled yesterday in the ballot, but not heard about the other games I’ve got yet.

Cant say I’m hugely optimistic.

Semi final tickets gone now.

Scotland game still showing...

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Semi final tickets gone now.

Scotland game still showing...

Just had my England vs Scotland tickets cancelled, bitterly disappointed. You'd think they'd give me some leeway considering it's on my birthday! 

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I vaguely remember but don't remember reading the piss as much as I should have done.

He did a decent job at West Ham, exactly what they needed at that period in time. Well that was from the outside looking in. 

He's bent as s 9 Bob note, but in his time, he was a decent and innovative manager. I thought he would have done a decent job as England manager.

19 minutes ago, eastynh said:

He did a decent job at West Ham, exactly what they needed at that period in time. Well that was from the outside looking in. 

He's bent as s 9 Bob note, but in his time, he was a decent and innovative manager. I thought he would have done a decent job as England manager.

Given some of the claims you've made for pep Ii don't much trust your views of managers.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Given some of the claims you've made for pep Ii don't much trust your views of managers.

Pep will go down as one of the greatest, if not the greatest manager of all time.

Edited by eastynh

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think he will go down as one of the greatest of his era, don't know how you can compare managers of different eras.

Guardiola has done well in his career but let’s not pretend he’s had a little help along the way.

Barcelona - Helped by the emergence of the greatest player in human history. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta were hardly poor players either. To be fair to him he pulled it al together into a side that dominated Europe for a few seasons.

Bayern - Had every advantage possible - the best squad, biggest budget, biggest club. Won a few domestic titles as expected but no impact in Europe.

City - The equivalent of playing FM with the cheat codes on. Like above, won a few titles but up until this season has made zero impression on the CL. Given the almost infinite resources at his disposal should he have done more? 

He’s good, but greatest ever? Don’t make me laugh. I’d rank the achievements of Brian Clough above Guardiola, and that’s before you consider the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Shankly, etc who built legacies that lasted decades. I’m sure there are managers in other countries who have done just as much, if not more too.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Guardiola has done well in his career but let’s not pretend he’s had a little help along the way.

Barcelona - Helped by the emergence of the greatest player in human history. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta were hardly poor players either. To be fair to him he pulled it al together into a side that dominated Europe for a few seasons.

Bayern - Had every advantage possible - the best squad, biggest budget, biggest club. Won a few domestic titles as expected but no impact in Europe.

City - The equivalent of playing FM with the cheat codes on. Like above, won a few titles but up until this season has made zero impression on the CL. Given the almost infinite resources at his disposal should he have done more? 

He’s good, but greatest ever? Don’t make me laugh. I’d rank the achievements of Brian Clough above Guardiola, and that’s before you consider the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Shankly, etc who built legacies that lasted decades. I’m sure there are managers in other countries who have done just as much, if not more too.

Using that criteria you basically make it impossible for any modern managers to be in the discussion as legacy building is something that doesn't happen in 2021 and that goes beyond the top leagues.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A better manager would have won the CL with City before now with those huge resources available plus the rep from barca and bayern. 

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Using that criteria you basically make it impossible for any modern managers to be in the discussion as legacy building is something that doesn't happen in 2021 and that goes beyond the top leagues.

It’s certainly fair to say that you can’t judge a long term impact of a current serving manager. Although that said I would argue that given the respective starting points Klopp has done a better job at Liverpool than Guardiola at City.

I can’t entertain the idea of Guardiola being the “greatest ever” when he holds such a massive advantage over everyone else. He’s achieved exactly what he should have done (possibly even underachieved) given the resources at his disposal.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I English football if youd class them as the same era wenger will be streets ahead 

I wouldn't class them as the same era. Wenger was in an era where clubs would often keep managers for years. Now you do 3 years and you are amongst the longest serving.

We shouldn't forget that Liverpool and Man Utd when at their most successful were also the biggest spenders.