Which day is the best?

JoeyT

Your favourite day of the festival  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite day of the festival?

• Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday
    • Monday

You can’t beat a Thursday bar crawl, probably my favourite thing to do in the entire world. You also get to meet up with other mates on Thursday, when otherwise from Friday onwards trying to would essentially be the best way to ruin your festival. No time pressure when you meet up with them either. Then later on when the bar crawl has fizzled out we normally end up somewhere totally random and unexpected. 

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

No way, what happened? My mate went down due to overdoing it during Primal Scream, was a bit ill all over himself and got carted off by his mrs (with two kids in two) in the break before the Stones. Saw the whole night out in A&E. He wasn't allowed to go back to Glastonbury until he got a ticket for this year funnily enough!

Cut my leg on the way in ...minor scratch really ... got infected ... by the time the stones came I could hardly stand so spent that set watching a sea of legs .. and then off to medical centre ... and off in an ambulance fortunately to my local hospital  in my fancy dress ... I was offered a hospital gown ... but chose to stay in what I was wearing 

• Upvote 1

Thursday always! Everything about it is perfect!

There's no queue and set up like there is on a Wednesday but you're free to whatever you please without having (lol like its a chore, its not! You know what I mean) to think about who you're going to see and at what stage. You're still only a day into the festival so no terrible thoughts of 'oh god gotta go home in x days' 

Team Thursday!!! :)

In a caravan we are lucky and can get on site and set up on Tuesday afternoon, so if it were an option that might be the one I'd go for.  The excitement of getting there and getting set up.  But a leisurely breakfast and a stroll down to get wristbanded on Wednesday really starts the festival.  Once you've got the wristband you've arrived and are back home and can enjoy a leisurely bimble without the hassle of getting your gear in and setting up your encampment.

19 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

In a caravan we are lucky and can get on site and set up on Tuesday afternoon, so if it were an option that might be the one I'd go for.  The excitement of getting there and getting set up.  But a leisurely breakfast and a stroll down to get wristbanded on Wednesday really starts the festival.  Once you've got the wristband you've arrived and are back home and can enjoy a leisurely bimble without the hassle of getting your gear in and setting up your encampment.

I did nearly put Tuesday as an option.

I'm a Wednesday man myself. 

For me the music actually comes second, that Wednesday is usually one of if not the only time of the year where all of my friends are together in one place. When you add the excitement of it being the first day to this it ends up being my favourite.

We'll always start with the "let's take it easy this year" and it usually ends up with someone (me) being asleep before sundown due to to much fun...

If I do make it to sunset though there's that moment on the first day where the sun has said it's goodbyes, you're the right side of drunk and you're with your friends that I am the most content that I am all year.

Edited by JoeyT

13 minutes ago, priest17 said:

People's reasoning of excitement making the earlier days better sends me a bit underpants. You're literally excited about the other days.

Human nature though isn’t, the anticipation can often be greater than the actual event. Plus everyone is fresh Wednesday/Thursday. Your favourite band in the world could be playing on the Sunday and you could be greatly looking forward to it, yet get to Sunday and you’re spent energy wise and depressed about it all being over.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Human nature though isn’t, the anticipation can often be greater than the actual event. Plus everyone is fresh Wednesday/Thursday. Your favourite band in the world could be playing on the Sunday and you could be greatly looking forward to it, yet get to Sunday and you’re spent energy wise and depressed about it all being over.

Maybe they should offer courses on meditation with the ticket so we can all live in the moment a bit more.

I get what you're saying though. And I get one everyone who suggests Thursday is the best is saying. It's a very very good day. There's a beauty to adjusting back to Glastonbury again. But by Friday I fucking live there and own that place. I'm not excited because it's happening man. 

Is anyone else lying on their sofa having a quick hungover weep 

Edit just wanna add that first bit was dripping in bad humour I'm not actually advocating for everyone to randomly take up meditation or that being excited for things is a bad thing ahah

Edited by priest17

Thursday for sure. 

I find the Wednesdays a bit exhausting. After a long haul of a drive, and then hiking all the stuff in and getting your pitch set up. It's exciting and I love it all, for sure, and of course passing through the gates is a *moment*, but I love waking up early (as I always do) on the Thursday knowing I've got the whole day laid out ahead of me to explore and have so much FUN at my favourite place on earth.

We arrive Thursday because of childcare, so have the combo of first day excitement and seeing the festival start to awaken music wise.

The feeling of being back in my favourite place with my wife and friends is special. I really do love Thursdays. 

But....

Friday is my fave day. 

The music is usually stacked on Friday. Just that feeling of seeing amazing music all day with hundreds of thousands of like minded people. 

Knowing you have 3 full days of that to come is special. 

West Holts, Friday 2015, RTJ > Caribou > Hot Chip is still one of the best nights of my entire life. 

Just now, nikkic said:

We arrive Thursday because of childcare, so have the combo of first day excitement and seeing the festival start to awaken music wise.

The feeling of being back in my favourite place with my wife and friends is special. I really do love Thursdays. 

But....

Friday is my fave day. 

The music is usually stacked on Friday. Just that feeling of seeing amazing music all day with hundreds of thousands of like minded people. 

West Holts, Friday 2015, RTJ > Caribou > Hot Chip is still one of the best nights of my entire life. 

That Hot Chip set was out of this world.

Close second to best atmosphere at any set at the festival with Stevie Wonder in front.

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

But....

Friday is my fave day. 

That RTJ set might be my favourite Glastonbury moment. Sun out, wine out, party time. 

Well obviously it's Friday as the whole shebang kicks in but one thing I love on Wednesday/Thursday is the big crowds the smaller acts get and the love from them. 

Watching a band that may play to 50/60 disinterested people in the Red Lion on a Tuesday night get a rammed Avalon Café or Bimble Inn going nuts for them is a joy to behold.

6 hours ago, sime said:

Thursday is my favourite. For me all days are great but with Thursday I really love that atmosphere of the festival really waking up and having the freedom to do whatever while feeling the anticipation of what's to come.

Spot on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

At different Glastos I've had different highlights, evolving over the years.

This. If I commit to an opinion I instantly disagree with it. 

Wednesday, the excitement, anticipation, wandering, discovery, taking my other half around the site in 2017 and seeing it through a newbie's eyes.
Thursday, settled relaxed and it really starts to come to life, but still no self imposed pressure to see anyone -  seeing friends you haven't seen for months arrive, as in 2016.
Friday, get the waking up first thing people have described - 2011 springs to mind and getting the efests tweet 'don't be paranoid about today's special guests, its bad karma'.
Saturday - The biggest blow-out. I would ever say I hold back at Glastonbury but if you have a big Saturday headliner I tend to go for it even more - Stones, 2013 and on to the SE corner till 6am, as good as it gets. 
Sunday - not normally my favourite but 2015, Dalai Lama, Lionel Ritchie, Chemical Brothers and 2MANYDJs playing the giant fire breathing spider - basically a Glastonbury best of with inevitable and frequent tears.

You can't make me choose, I refuse to.

I'd usually say Thursday, that's what I voted for, but last year was different...

I love Wednesday evening just before the fire is lit, the chatting with strangers on the hill or at the stone circle, the first glimpses of the lights spread out into the distance and the first last night wander before the party starts.

I adore waking up on the Thursday though - knowing there a day of exploration ahead, the first proper music and the liveliness and joy of Williams Green and the Croissant Neuf into the evening. Discovering random music or acts you would never ever see and just soaking it all in. 

Last year it was the Saturday, but that was because for reasons as of my control I didn't arrive until 10.30pm on the Friday. Missing those first couple of days last year was devastating - so I had a pretty lively time from arrival until the early hours Sunday! 

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Being able to nearly hear Maximo Park in wills green while the tent and area is at 3871% capacity isn't the same as music actually starting.

True - Showhawk Duo in '17 was ridiculous - but I'm more on about the niche and novelty acts you get down there in the evening.

7 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

True - Showhawk Duo in '17 was ridiculous - but I'm more on about the niche and novelty acts you get down there in the evening.

I saw Showhawk Duo on the Thursday in 2015, the stage looked absolutely rammed but I was somehow behind it looking through a little hole? I was in a boat?

This wasn't a dream btw ahah.

I wanna state I love wandering round catching glimpses of music on Thursday. Hell, I love sitting at the pyramid with a few beers and some food while they sound check, had a proper dance to them playing the same Tame Impala song over and over again in 2016 while my dad had a wee nap. They're all great days but by Friday I own that place and I love it. The collective wisdom of the previous years clicks back into place and I feel genuinely at home. Thursday's a beaut coz there's still that wonder and awe about the whole thing, but I'm so comfortable on Friday and going back to normal is so far away. It's my favourite day of the year (and I'm big on Christmas!)

• Like 1