BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

5 minutes ago, Simpo said:

I adore the structure of this, cycling between night and day. Immerses you into the festival feeling a bit more :)

It was supposed to be a newer cut though, with more modern music clips: maybe that will get addressed in the Mark Kermode Q&A after.

Didn't the original DVD release randomly switch between different performances on each play (iirc)?

Metallica are giving me flashbacks.

Was working that year and was due to work during them. Literally only had one person at my bar left to ask to do a swap and caught them last second just as they were going off shift and she said yes. It's not often I ask if I can hug people.

When the beach balls come out, that's when I dropped my camera. Along with about three years years worth of festival photos. Still pissed off about that. Spent way to long on a lost cause looking for it.

Edit : Oh yeah and I stopped some bloke from getting seriously crushed after he fell over at the start of the mosh pit during S&D.

Edited by MrZigster

Scissor Sisters playing on 4 now.

I have this theory that they would have been much bigger if their second (I think) album hadn't been released during a fallow year. Thought they'd have been nailed on for a good slot if it had been on that year.

Small mercies eh?

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Fully expect that I'm gonna cop some flak for this but I was there, plus I've now watched The Cure back twice on screen and what I felt at the time still remains.

I like the Cure's big songs but not a diehard fan as such.

I watched the entire thing and I agree that the sound was pin sharp and best I've heard, and the light show and spectacle in the round was well produced.. The band were excellent musicians and clearly gave their all. They were far 'rockier/heavier' than I was expecting and was pleasurably surprised with that.

But.....

I nearly left halfway through the first section to go and see something else but was persuaded to stay. 

What was missing was the buzz, the people freaking out and going mad factor, the sense that I wanted to jump madly up and down and so on.

What there was in a crowd around me, left middle of the stage by the sound towers, was a crowd that actually thinned quite a bit during the first hour, everyone was just sort of jigging gently up and down, those that stayed were chatting away, and even those that were enjoying it were more just watching the performance than getting involved in it. Even the crowd reaction, cheers and applause was somewhat muted. Even now on iPlayer, shots of the crowd show them to pretty quiet and passive.

II had a sense that it was a technical tour de force and a spectacle but not a gut pulling 'moment' that others obviously felt.

Watched replays of it on screen and still find my attention wandering looking the lighting etc rather than getting an emotional reaction like LCD or some others. My group was split, some loved it, and some were ambivalent.

Having said that the encore was pretty good and went some way to negating what I thought was a turgid first section.

(mind you I felt the same about Radiohead's nurdling first bit when they headlined although that was better to watch on screen because at least you could see the band on the replays).

Bring on the outraged replies........

No outraged reply from me. Your view is your own and has no bearing on my experience of that Cure performance. I bloody loved it! As did all the crowd around me who were buzzing throughout the whole set as much as I was. Loved it!

2 hours ago, internetjef said:

How was is it so good? Best I have ever heard on pyramid of any act comfortably in 10 Glastos 

wish every other act could get it spot on like that 

Yeah, it was spookily good. Was so great to experience!

29 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Metallica were actually good from the sounds of things, why's everyone complaining?

Nah it's not that the set was bad, it's more that they were a bit of a weird booking for Glastonbury. Quite a lot of festival goers didn't give a shit about them at all when they were announced. It still goes down for me as the most ballsy booking Glastonbury has ever done. It really could have flopped.

25 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Enter Sandman really is a jam isn't it

Every Metallica song possibly.

I remember a Total Guitar magazine survey from ages ago that had Master Of Puppets as the No1 tune for guitarists to just get into, jamming alone in their bedrooms (or something).

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Broke up 6 months later- missed the ultimate gig of my life. Such bad decision making

I now wouldn't miss Glastonbury for any of my OWN friends weddings...

I once missed (had to sell six) 3rd row tickets for Rush (my favourite band) one year for my Mothers' friends daughters wedding.

Not that that's any consolation.

2 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I once missed (had to sell six) 3rd row tickets for Rush (my favourite band) one year for my Mothers' friends daughters wedding.

Not that that's any consolation.

That is a very tenuous link to miss a gig for!

The only consolation is the Thom Yorke secret set in 2010, which stll isnt much of one but at least means I've seen some Radiohead on the farm

Love reading about the history of Glastonbury. Knew all about Arabella Churchill, but had never seen video footage of her till about 2 mins ago.

Followed by Michael saying him & Jean will possibly retiring from running the festival in a few years & jokingly  using the phrase "is there a life for us after the festival". So sad hearing him saying that knowing what happened

Mums best friend. I've known her kids since birth, pretend cousins kind of thing.

Was that The Park Radiohalf year? I was at The Park and left about an hour before they came on.  Someone had told me it was happening as well.

Bad decision.

6 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

This REM set is incredible. Just tune after tune. 

They are the band I am most gutted to have never seen live. I tried to see them on what was their (unknown at the time) final tour, but it didn't work out. Still kick myself to this day.

That’s tomorrow’s listening session sorted then. This is 100% what I pay the license fee for.