What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of the new Steven Moffat drama Inside Man, but can't bring myself to watch any more.

It's fucking garbage. Like offensively dumb.

I watched the whole thing. Didn't get any better to be honest but I can watch Stanley Tucci in any old rubbish.

The show was very very stupid. 

Speaking of Stanley Tucci, I have been enjoying his Searching for Italy thing. It could've been unbearable, indeed some may think it is, but I love it.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, philipsteak said:

Speaking of Stanley Tucci, I have been enjoying his Searching for Italy thing. It could've been unbearable, indeed some may think it is, but I love it.

Me too, although I haven't tried this yet.

I love his film Big Night, which apparently kicked off a bit of a food revolution in the States.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/sep/18/stanley-tucci-inside-man-taste-my-life-in-food-interview

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She-Hulk finale: just nutso. Whatever I expected it wasn't that. 

Was a complete ‘wtf’ left turn but a very nice change of pace from the usual sky flying and laser shooting final battles in most of these things. Whole thing was, really.

Only complaint with the whole series was that the CGI was incredibly inconsistent - she looked completely life-like in some scenes and then like a PS2 cut scene in others - but given the reports of the MCU CGI team being completely overworked and the near impossibility of making a big green woman looking realistic, I’ll give them a pass on that. 

On 10/11/2022 at 4:00 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of the new Steven Moffat drama Inside Man, but can't bring myself to watch any more.

It's fucking garbage. Like offensively dumb.

It's not great which I think is a shame because it feels like there is a good premise hiding in there somewhere but has just been executed poorly. Great cast and soundtrack as well, all feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. 

Edited by Chef

15 minutes ago, Chef said:

It's not great which I think is a shame because it feels like there is a good premise hiding in there somewhere but has just been executed poorly. Great cast and soundtrack as well, all feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. 

I didn't mind it actually. I think it was Steven Moffat's attempt at Coen Brothers type black humour - I don't think you were supposed to take it entirely seriously. I certainly didn't expect realism from the writer of Sherlock & Dr Who!

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Was a complete ‘wtf’ left turn but a very nice change of pace from the usual sky flying and laser shooting final battles in most of these things. Whole thing was, really.

Only complaint with the whole series was that the CGI was incredibly inconsistent - she looked completely life-like in some scenes and then like a PS2 cut scene in others - but given the reports of the MCU CGI team being completely overworked and the near impossibility of making a big green woman looking realistic, I’ll give them a pass on that. 

Yeah - I grew up watching the Lou Ferrigno show they were parodying last night, so I can live with the CGI not looking state of the art when the show itself was such fun and with such a great cast.

I think they even had a little aside at all the money going to Wakanada Forever.

Only complaint was Madisynn not popping up again.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah - I grew up watching the Lou Ferrigno show they were parodying last night, so I can live with the CGI not looking state of the art when the show itself was such fun and with such a great cast.

I think they even had a little aside at all the money going to Wakanada Forever.

I was expecting her to appear with Wong in the post credits!

On 10/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm sure loads of their audience would have been expecting the usual, but I loved both the homage at the start and the twist ending - I was genuinely caught out and thought I'd done something when it happened 😊

Just finished up She Hulk. I wasn’t thrilled with episode one, but as soon as she’s in her own world/career, it hits a groove, and gets progressively better as it goes on. The first half of the season was a bit meh, but the second half was great.

As a big fan of fourth wall breakage, I absolutely loved the finale. It was basically fifth wall breaking at that point, reminding me of the interactive Black Mirror episode Bandersnatch, where you could choose to let the protagonist know he’s in a Netflix TV show. Beautifully done. 

Also love how self aware they were to write the inevitable incel backlash into the show itself. Marvel are really good with their TV shows and I love how they use them to push the boundaries. 

• Upvote 1

Despite the typical online negativity, I really liked Rings of Power. Episodes 6, 7 and 8 in particular were fantastic. I think my only criticism is some of the editing seemed a little strange. Definitely felt like they had to cut at least two episodes worth of material, especially in the second half of the season. Relatively slow intro, then it (literally) exploded from episode 6. Pisses all over the three Hobbit movies.