What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The Guardian claims it's incredibly sympathetic to Johnson. Is that your impression?

It’s rather neutral about him in the episodes I’ve seen so far and the politics are in my opinion overshadowed by the harrowing hospital and care home images. It depicts him being reluctant to lock down but could be more critical of his action. The Cummings story is dealt with and Hancock being used to answer the hard questions rather than Johnson. 

On 9/15/2022 at 11:32 AM, kalifire said:

Never did give Detectorists any time. It bored me a bit when I watched the first episode but that was years ago. ‘Gentle comedy’ seems to be a bit of a thing now. Is it worth revisiting? 

I loved it. I would definitely re-visit if I were you. 

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Half way through This England. Branagh is excellent at being Johnson but I’m finding the whole thing a bit bleak and unsettling. The hospital and care home scenes are really disturbing. The whole thing is a stark reminder of what we went through. 

I saw parts of the first episode the other night and found it slightly strange. I did find it fairly sympathetic about his personal troubles, but maybe that's part of layering the character.

Personally I think it's too soon, but in as much the sense that in a few years we might get a few more people willing to speak on or off the record about details that we didn't hear at the time. The fact I gather the show missed Partygate feels like an unwitting mis-step.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I saw parts of the first episode the other night and found it slightly strange. I did find it fairly sympathetic about his personal troubles, but maybe that's part of layering the character.

Personally I think it's too soon, but in as much the sense that in a few years we might get a few more people willing to speak on or off the record about details that we didn't hear at the time. The fact I gather the show missed Partygate feels like an unwitting mis-step.

Yes, agree with that. We’ve the inquiry still to report. I sense there’s another series in there somewhere still to be made and taking it further 

5 hours ago, John the Moth said:

From the creator of American Horror Story… don’t expect any subtlety or sensitivity to victims families.

That sounds like a grim prospect tbh. 

I watched The Killing of America once, which is nasty and exploitative, so it removed any future interest in watching about real life serial killers. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Latest episode of Rings of Power was an absolute belter / game changer.

Had kind of given up on this and haven’t watched the last couple of episodes but seen nothing but glowing praise for this latest one so looks like I’m gonna have to play a bit of catch up this weekend. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Had kind of given up on this and haven’t watched the last couple of episodes but seen nothing but glowing praise for this latest one so looks like I’m gonna have to play a bit of catch up this weekend. 

Latest episode was really good 👍 

I've been enjoying it more than most, but I did not see the finale of episode 6 coming at all.

Combined with Andor and House of The Dragons all being good, it's good times for me on the telly front.

Also: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law is a deeply, deeply silly show but I absolutely love it.  The last 4 or 5 episodes have all been great.

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, agree with that. We’ve the inquiry still to report. I sense there’s another series in there somewhere still to be made and taking it further 

Maybe that's just a part of the issue with writing the story as it was still going on. Smaller scale shows could well be better at chronicling the experience of the worst part of covid than a big picture "This is what the people in power were doing" thing.

Saying that, it probably won't be long until we get somebody depicting the way Trump and his cronies fucked up handling covid for TV/film.

On 9/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, kalifire said:

The Guardian claims it's incredibly sympathetic to Johnson. Is that your impression?

Watched the whole series now, and yes it is incredibly sympathetic to Johnson with its dream sequences, lack of in depth scrutiny of his decision making and blame shifted to Hancock, civil servants etc.  Well acted and realistic harrowing footage of the affects of the virus but the government gets off lightly. 

I'd recommend the Bear with the suggestion of not just judging it on the first episode. After the first episode I couldn't grasp what the fuss was about. Then you watch the second and then binge the rest.

Watching Bad Sisters, it's entertaining enough. The villain is so horrible it's hard for me not to go and smash the TV when he appears.

So disappointed in ITV's Karen Pirie. I was looking forward to it after recently reading the book, but they've changed almost every aspect of the story - and not for the better!  It's so fucking arrogant of the writer/director to think they can tell the story so much better than the original. Also, some of the acting is appalling - especially the lead character. Absolute garbage.

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

What’s the general consensus on She-Hulk? I’m enjoying it - half-hour sitcom style and she’s a star.

Me too, although I suspect it's a bit light for the other posters in this thread. 

I've been boshing my way through Abbott Elementary on Disney too and like that even more. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a hoot - frequently laugh out loud funny and so deeply daft that I don't know why anyone would be annoyed by it.

There's a tragic subset of lonely misfits out there who're furious whenever the cultural dominance of white men is swapped out for people of colour (in this case green), or of another or no gender. They'll attempt to dominate social media and review bomb the project in question, to highlight how awful it is that the most culturally dominant group in society is under existential threat because of this one project.