What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

Saw Sophie Willan on telly (Unforgivable - her confession was incredible), looked up her series and watched all 6 episodes in one go. Loved it... (it's on iplayer) 

She's great. I want to see her stand up show. Saw a couple of clips on youtube, and the stories about her mum being a drug addict made the audience too uncomfortable to laugh. Can't wait for series 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Anyone watched Dahmer?

Not sure what I feel about it - it's interesting but so fucked up I don't think I'm going to make it to the end! 

It is very sickening and not sure his awful crimes are something that needs to be brought to life, but the lead actor is excellent at playing Dahmer. If it wasn’t for him I probably wouldn’t have watched until the end.
I think it’s been made very well, but feel awful for the victims families having this out there. 

42 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

She's great. I want to see her stand up show. Saw a couple of clips on youtube, and the stories about her mum being a drug addict made the audience too uncomfortable to laugh. Can't wait for series 2.

I think I may have seen her on things before, but without really paying attention. Her first story on Unforgivable was every bit as wild as you know her tales to be and simultaneously bloody funny.  The series very much lived up to my expectations - to take such stuff and make something that still has such joy is amazing.

As you say, roll on series 2! (I'll also be keeping an eye out for any of her stand up if you know of any) 

Edited by clarkete

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think I may have seen her on things before, but without really paying attention. Her first story on Unforgivable was every bit as wild as you know her tales to be and simultaneously bloody funny.  The series very much lived up to my expectations - to take such stuff and make something that still has such joy is amazing.

As you say, roll on series 2! (I'll also be keeping an eye out for any of her stand up if you know of any) 

The stand-up was available to buy from her website initially, but isn't now. I guess she's reserving the right to tour it again for good money.

She was also the commentator on The Circle for all 3 seasons. She played it like a world-weary version of the come dine with me man. She made a good show even better.

Gonna watch Unforgivable when I get home.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, st dan said:

It is very sickening and not sure his awful crimes are something that needs to be brought to life, but the lead actor is excellent at playing Dahmer. If it wasn’t for him I probably wouldn’t have watched until the end.
I think it’s been made very well, but feel awful for the victims families having this out there. 

That's exactly what I was thinking... if it wasn't real life it would be easier to watch! 

Apparently, Americans are buying Dahmer costumes for Halloween 🤦‍♂️

On 10/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Despite the typical online negativity, I really liked Rings of Power. Episodes 6, 7 and 8 in particular were fantastic. I think my only criticism is some of the editing seemed a little strange. Definitely felt like they had to cut at least two episodes worth of material, especially in the second half of the season. Relatively slow intro, then it (literally) exploded from episode 6. Pisses all over the three Hobbit movies.

I thought it was fine. That's all. Yeah, episode 6 was great but the rest... I suppose 7 & 8 were maybe slightly better than fine. The acting throughout was pretty ropey. But that was probably because they couldn't believe the rubbish they were being asked to spout. Even Morfydd Clark (she's superb in Saint Maud. Big recommendation if you haven't seen it). The reveals weren't exactly the big deals they were supposed to be. And I haven't read any of the books (no idea if that actually helps/hinders.)

And the Hobbit films are a pretty low bar

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I've not seen any LOTR films, should I watch them before starting TROP?

Or can I dive straight in to the TV series?

I guess you could dive straight in but it probably helps to have seen the LOTR trilogy. Or at least have read the books. Tolkien's world is extensive and in RoP there's a lot of references to other parts of the lore that maybe only those familiar with it might get.

Sounds like an obvious point but a Tolkien fan would probably enjoy RoP much more than someone coming into it with no previous knowledge of his work.

11 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I thought it was fine. That's all. Yeah, episode 6 was great but the rest... I suppose 7 & 8 were maybe slightly better than fine. The acting throughout was pretty ropey. But that was probably because they couldn't believe the rubbish they were being asked to spout. Even Morfydd Clark (she's superb in Saint Maud. Big recommendation if you haven't seen it). The reveals weren't exactly the big deals they were supposed to be. And I haven't read any of the books (no idea if that actually helps/hinders.)

And the Hobbit films are a pretty low bar

Loved episode 6, but it didn't make up for the other 7 wasted hours. Incredibly disappointing.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Andor continues to be some of the best Star Wars ever made. I can't believe it exists.

You only remember it's Star Wars when you catch a glimpse of an occasional Stormtrooper. It's a slow burner but it's growing on me week after week. I really hope they can make some other spin offs in a similar vein, without the cynical Disneyfication

22 hours ago, stuie said:

Anyone watched Dahmer?

Not sure what I feel about it - it's interesting but so fucked up I don't think I'm going to make it to the end! 

When I next resubscribe to Netflix, it'll be recommending it left, right and centre. It's bang on my algorithm. But I'm scared to watch! I know about Dahmer and his crimes, and don't really need to see them brought to life. But I will. I can tell already. Oh god.

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You only remember it's Star Wars when you catch a glimpse of an occasional Stormtrooper. It's a slow burner but it's growing on me week after week. I really hope they can make some other spin offs in a similar vein, without the cynical Disneyfication

Less is more Star Wars.  Was episode 7 the first time that the Storm Troopers have even showed up?

And that shot of the Star Destroyer is the best of its kind since 1977 - far more terrifying in that context than seeing dozens of them in space.

Really enjoyed the She-Hulk finale. The best marvel tele since Wandavision imo (although Hawkeye had its moments). Both seemed to understand they were tv shows rather than 6 hour long movies. The opening was incredible, and I'm absolutely amazed I hadn't had any of that spoiled for me on social media.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Both Andor and She-Hulk seem to have way less buzz about them than the previous shows, which is a shame given their superiority over them.

Over-saturation causing people to tune out just as the quality actually starts to go up a bit, and also the unfortunate fact that a lot of people would rather just be plied with the same old Marvel and Star Wars content that they know and love rather than the slight detours from the formula that both of these shows have brought to the table. 

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Less is more Star Wars.  Was episode 7 the first time that the Storm Troopers have even showed up?

And that shot of the Star Destroyer is the best of its kind since 1977 - far more terrifying in that context than seeing dozens of them in space.

They're certainly emphasising the malevolence of the Empire in this series

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The malevolence.....but chiefly the banality and bureaucracy.  The office politics and paperwork.  Loving the scenes in the Imperial Security Bureau.

My favourite thing that the recent Star Wars stuff has brought to the table is all the inner workings of the boring back of house empire life - just makes it seem so much more realistic rather than them being a bunch of evil for the sake of evil people.