When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just been in and out of London to the Kraftwerk V Chems exhibition (was v good - will stick some pics in the Chems thread at some point) Mask wearing on the tube seemed much improved. Maybe the weekend London crowd is more touristy and likely to comply, as opposed to the more jaded residents?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just been in and out of London to the Kraftwerk V Chems exhibition (was v good - will stick some pics in the Chems thread at some point) Mask wearing on the tube seemed much improved. Maybe the weekend London crowd is more touristy and likely to comply, as opposed to the more jaded residents?

Improved since when? If it was before face coverings were mandatory on transport then it’s comparing apples and pears.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

apples and pears

This is petty nitpicking and for that I apologise but the phrase is apples and oranges, as they are very different fruits apples and pears are very similar and comparing them would make perfect sense.

Apples and pears = Stairs

Apples and oranges = Incomparable things

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, mcshed said:

This is petty nitpicking and for that I apologise but the phrase is apples and oranges, as they are very different fruits apples and pears are very similar and comparing them would make perfect sense.

Apples and pears = Stairs

Apples and oranges = Incomparable things

😂😂😂😂

15 hours ago, Homer said:

NZ closed their border early doors (it's still closed, despite the fact that so much of their economy is dependent on tourism) and went into a lockdown fairly similar to ours. Anyone coming into the country (returning nationals only) had/has to quarantine for 14 days in a policed facility. They only reopened once cases were 0. They managed to get to 100 days covid-free, to the extent that they even had full rugby stadiums. Unfortunately they had a small outbreak in Auckland more recently (last I heard it was suspected it may have come in via freight).

The source of the Auckland outbreak is still a mystery, they have pretty much discounted the freight theory, it was thought to have come from a cold store in Melbourne to one in Auckland where some of the first infections worked. But tests at both end's haven't linked the strain to any of the infections and neither have the strains from the people returning home from abroad. Knowing where it came from would be really great to know as its clear that everyone is more affected by this out break than the first one. A lot more mask wearing and Wellington is almost like a ghost town and that's with no actual cases anywhere near there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

The source of the Auckland outbreak is still a mystery, they have pretty much discounted the freight theory, it was thought to have come from a cold store in Melbourne to one in Auckland where some of the first infections worked. But tests at both end's haven't linked the strain to any of the infections and neither have the strains from the people returning home from abroad. Knowing where it came from would be really great to know as its clear that everyone is more affected by this out break than the first one. A lot more mask wearing and Wellington is almost like a ghost town and that's with no actual cases anywhere near there.

Ah, ta for the update. Wellington is just at the lowest 'wear a mask' level of lockdown isn't it? Is Auckland/anywhere else still at the second highest?

8 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Improved since when? If it was before face coverings were mandatory on transport then it’s comparing apples and pears.

Nah, was last on the tube last Sunday. I went into detail on here - and obvs expect everyone to have been hanging on my every word!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ah, ta for the update. Wellington is just at the lowest 'wear a mask' level of lockdown isn't it? Is Auckland/anywhere else still at the second highest?

My family in Auckland are still in lockdown, they are working from home and kids off school, think there is a further announcement on Wednesday. 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So will the negative Nellie's become more positive if in a few weeks time infection levels are creeping up and less fatalities & hospital admissions?

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think the Guardian have accidentally published the notes for the article and forgotten to actually write an article.

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he's just a doomster and a gloomster. Boris says it will all be over by christmas, and he knows his shit.

I know nothing -  compared to at least one of these two - and it seems from all the positivity from scientists (and people on here like Toilet Duck) that they are doing a Good Cop-Bad Cop routine and the reality will fall somewhere in the middle?

I mean realistically, there’s no way it will be “over by Christmas”. Even if a vaccine is approved by December, it then has to be distributed to the population before we can lift any restrictions.

To get through everyone surely this is going to take a couple of months, so surely it’s likely not to be until Feb/March until restrictions are lifted.

I really don’t know though, the last I read was that oxford and Germany were “neck and neck” in the race for the vaccine, and the Germans said they aren’t expecting to be able to launch one until mid 2021. Perhaps they are just modifying expectations whereas over here we constantly have conflicting information about whether it is safe to go out and do stuff or not. I’m sure come christmas if there’s no vaccine yet Boris and Chris Whitty will still be giving us conflicting information.

Im not expecting things to be normal this Christmas unfortunately, I’m hoping we can have some form of normality by next summer, this hopefully gives time for a vaccine to be approved, mass produced and distributed at least across Europe, making it safer to travel again.

13 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’m hoping we can have some form of normality by next summer

This!! I mean, I know there's nothing we can do about it and you've gotta deal with it, but the thought of next year being anything like this one is enough to tip people over the edge. Proper depressing. Fingers crossed!

20 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I mean realistically, there’s no way it will be “over by Christmas”. Even if a vaccine is approved by December, it then has to be distributed to the population before we can lift any restrictions.

To get through everyone surely this is going to take a couple of months, so surely it’s likely not to be until Feb/March until restrictions are lifted.

I really don’t know though, the last I read was that oxford and Germany were “neck and neck” in the race for the vaccine, and the Germans said they aren’t expecting to be able to launch one until mid 2021. Perhaps they are just modifying expectations whereas over here we constantly have conflicting information about whether it is safe to go out and do stuff or not. I’m sure come christmas if there’s no vaccine yet Boris and Chris Whitty will still be giving us conflicting information.

Im not expecting things to be normal this Christmas unfortunately, I’m hoping we can have some form of normality by next summer, this hopefully gives time for a vaccine to be approved, mass produced and distributed at least across Europe, making it safer to travel again.

Pfizer could have approval by end of October.

But anyway, once there's a vaccine given to front line health workers and vulnerable, they'll ease up on most restrictions like social distancing. Maybe keep masks a little longer. 

Despite what whitty says, the economic issues are too disastrous to not open up asap.

For one thing, people ain't gonna agree to be in lockdown if there's a vaccine which works 

Edited by zahidf